Author Topic: to cheer or boo posey on fri?  (Read 10947 times)

Re: to cheer or boo posey on fri?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 03:39:31 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
He's done absolutely nothing to merit any booing.

I'll be cheering prior to the game, rooting against him while the clock and scoreboard are on (though I've got no desire to boo him during that time) and then going back to wishing him all the best as one of my favorite players around the league once we're done with them.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
He's done absolutely nothing to merit any booing.

I'll be cheering prior to the game, rooting against him while the clock and scoreboard are on (though I've got no desire to boo him during that time) and then going back to wishing him all the best as one of my favorite players around the league once we're done with them.

-sw

Yeah. There's no reason to boo him other than him taking more money to go with another contender. But like I said it's all business.  No biggie. He's still the man.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 03:58:09 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Neither cheer or boo. Yes he was our 6th man in championship year but then he decided to put money ahead of the possibility of winning another chip.

Give it time and he'll realize that money doesn't necessarily buy you happiness.

New Orleans is a contender too, it's not like he went to the Thunder.

Ya no kidding. My point is that the celtics are better than the hornets and even if it boils down to us beating them in the finals.. he'll be kicking himself at the end of the season at the idea that he left for more money. Know that money comes and goes, championships are for forever

Yeah that's pretty much how I see it as well.  He waved goodbye to his chance a Championship for a 4th year of contract..
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 04:01:47 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i have never seen a player so uninterested in stats. awesome teammate, a guy that makes me proud to be an nba fan. i'll be standing and cheering until tip off. posey's  hornet now but he'd be the last hornet i'd boo.he's be the last non celtic in the nba that i would boo. i'll be expecting some boos but i'll assume it's from sox fans that would be  more interested in hot stove and drunkingly making fun of the place that is new orleans.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 04:10:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Neither cheer or boo. Yes he was our 6th man in championship year but then he decided to put money ahead of the possibility of winning another chip.

Give it time and he'll realize that money doesn't necessarily buy you happiness.

Ya no kidding. My point is that the celtics are better than the hornets and even if it boils down to us beating them in the finals.. he'll be kicking himself at the end of the season at the idea that he left for more money. Know that money comes and goes, championships are for forever

Yeah that's pretty much how I see it as well.  He waved goodbye to his chance a Championship for a 4th year of contract..

You can't leave too much money on the table during your prime earning years. I don't see him kicking himself at all. He has two rings. The only thing he was missing was the big payday.

Also, money doesn't come and go if you use it wisely. Championships don't pay for your kid's braces or college education, unless you sell your rings.

Championships are all that matters to us fans. The players also have to worry about their career and family. He already took a bargain contract with us for one year. That was his sacrifice. He can't sacrifice $ every year like the perennial allstars can.

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 04:15:29 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202

I am shocked this is even a thread.

If the Garden crowd doesn't get hoarse from cheering James Posey then there's something seriously wrong.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 04:22:20 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I am shocked this is even a thread.

If the Garden crowd doesn't get hoarse from cheering James Posey then there's something seriously wrong.
fully agree, this is what makes us celtics fans

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 04:25:56 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Let's not get carried away with this. Some of you guys are sounding like he is a future hall of fame player and like he was the reason why we won the championship. I think many of you would feel differently about him if he signed with a team like the Lakers. He gets no respect from me, he left for the money, why should we give him a standing ovation for leaving a championship team for greed? We would have won with out him, so he can have his money.

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 04:41:52 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I will certainly not boo him.  He did give us his all last season and that helped us win the nba championship.

I might clap, but I certainly will not get a hoarse throat.  I met James at a signing (that only lasted like 2 hours, so being tired or bored isn't an excuse) and he didn't seem to care to be there at all, completely uninterested in meeting his fans.  Then he left for more money, which I cannot say for sure that I wouldn't do myself.  But the bottom line is:  I can't emotionally cheer for a player who obviously doesn't have genuine emotions for this team.  I'll save my throat to cheer for the players who it means something to be a celtic.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2008, 04:47:23 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
its all about 2 words,style and class.Celtics fans have both,its the uncertain ones who can't find the right words or things to do when its their turn...the man showed us nothing but what a team player is all about while he was in Boston.This is a business and sometimes we cant have things the way we want them to be all the time.It took me a long while to accept him leaving,but now the season has gotten underrway,and we are still winning,i am good as a fan,and wish JP all the luck in the world,and feel he wanted to stay in Boston,but his future after basketball is first and foremost.Good Luck JP. :)

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2008, 05:11:25 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'll cheer before the game begins, but once the game tips off it's no more cheering for Big Game James.

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2008, 05:34:19 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Cheer! Without question.

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

You can't leave too much money on the table during your prime earning years. I don't see him kicking himself at all. He has two rings. The only thing he was missing was the big payday.

Also, money doesn't come and go if you use it wisely. Championships don't pay for your kid's braces or college education, unless you sell your rings.

Championships are all that matters to us fans. The players also have to worry about their career and family. He already took a bargain contract with us for one year. That was his sacrifice. He can't sacrifice $ every year like the perennial allstars can.

No he probably won't be kicking himself but, it was just 1 year of 4 year contract.  I'm sorry if it was me I would have stayed in Boston for the 3 years and won a few more titles and barely scraped by with the 3 years that Ainge was offering.  I don't begrudge and certainly won't boo him for doing what he wants but, I don't think I'll be cheering him either.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2008, 06:06:47 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
for the same reason we cheer for jefferson, we should cheer for posey.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2008, 06:57:40 PM »

Offline Dino Radjas Fadja

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
Cheer, of course; there should be no question about it.

The real question is without Posey's contributions in the playoffs do the Celtics even obtain banner # 17?