Author Topic: Celtics future  (Read 2685 times)

Celtics future
« on: December 05, 2008, 02:41:57 PM »

Offline celticnorespect

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I love how we are doing right now, we are proably the best team in the league.

But we are aging, and we need to think about the future. 

I have full faith in Ainge to keep us going, but what should we do specifically?

My opinion:  the future to me is Rondo, hell of a point guard.  He runs, I think we need a swingman who can run like Rondo, and can score, a Byron Scott to Rondo's Magic. 

Then I would like a cneter who can play with Garnett and take over for Garnett when he can't be as dominant as he is now. 

Just a wish list, but like I said Ainge knows what he is doing.

What do all of you think?

Re: Celtics future
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:48:04 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I love how we are doing right now, we are proably the best team in the league.

But we are aging, and we need to think about the future. 

I have full faith in Ainge to keep us going, but what should we do specifically?

My opinion:  the future to me is Rondo, hell of a point guard.  He runs, I think we need a swingman who can run like Rondo, and can score, a Byron Scott to Rondo's Magic. 

Then I would like a cneter who can play with Garnett and take over for Garnett when he can't be as dominant as he is now. 

Just a wish list, but like I said Ainge knows what he is doing.

What do all of you think?

dont you mean a PF to take over for KG?

Im not into lookign this far into the future, im goign to enjoy the ride and trust in danny to build around rajon.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:54:09 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 03:00:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Honestly, to try to think about the future in specifics is a pretty pointless exercise.  This is because there are way too many variables to take into account.  All I know is I trust Danny to put this team in a position where they will have the chance to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves.

This is what he did last time around, and it seems to be what he is doing now.  He understand the importance of cap flexibility, and having assets to make deals if they should come up, and he also understands how to be patient. 

I don't see this team aging and falling apart like the Celtics of the 80's did, because I think Danny understands that there will be a point when they will need to move on, and he always has that in mind when making decisions today.

But in general, what I am trying to say it...lets enjoy this team while we can, and have faith that they will make the right calls going forward.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »

Offline celticnorespect

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
No, I was thinking a center could take over as the future big man.

I probably do worry too much, but I think we are in good position.  But I think Ainge is putting us in really good position overall. 

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Yup, you're worrying too much.
Enjoy the season- I think everyone on the roster has at least two or three more good years, barring injury of course.
And Ainge hasn't made very many bad moves, really only Blount and Telfair IMO, so things should be OK.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 04:09:48 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm curious to see whether Danny tries to package Ray (and his expiring contract) in a deal next year to bring in a younger star.  At this point, I'm opposed to the idea, unless a true centerpiece becomes available.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I'm curious to see whether Danny tries to package Ray (and his expiring contract) in a deal next year to bring in a younger star.  At this point, I'm opposed to the idea, unless a true centerpiece becomes available.

I think it will be a very interesting story-line.  Especially if they win again this year, which would probably lead to a real public outcry if he did break them up.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 04:23:11 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

Why would you be opposed to the idea?

When I first thought of the possibility of RA's expiring contract being used I liked the idea. I figured it could be an endless cycle of turning expiring contracts and youth into "win now" players. But the more I think about it the more it doesn't make sense... I think the Celtics have a formula and a culture for winning right now. This is the time to bring up young talent and allow them to grow with this core. and in the midst of doing that signing solid veteran free agents with the MLE.

I think the Celtics are best served letting RA expiring and resigning him for 3 years 25 million and using the end of that contract to deal as an expiring. This will ensure we resign Perk and Rondo long term without LT ramifications.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Why would you be opposed to the idea?

When I first thought of the possibility of RA's expiring contract being used I liked the idea. I figured it could be an endless cycle of turning expiring contracts and youth into "win now" players. But the more I think about it the more it doesn't make sense... I think the Celtics have a formula and a culture for winning right now. This is the time to bring up young talent and allow them to grow with this core. and in the midst of doing that signing solid veteran free agents with the MLE.

I think the Celtics are best served letting RA expiring and resigning him for 3 years 25 million and using the end of that contract to deal as an expiring. This will ensure we resign Perk and Rondo long term without LT ramifications.

As of right now, I think this is the most likely scenario, unless the C's get an offer they can't refuse. 

Of course this will also be influenced by things like how it looks like the CBA will end up in 2010, but ultimately, I just don't see them having the pieces to put with Allen to get back what they would need to make a deal worth it.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 05:04:07 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
perk will stay at center and anchor defense. (kg's influence will turn him into a true defensive anchor)

as KG ages we will need to find a young PF who compliments perks game.

as i've addressed  in a previous thread it is a short list of undervalued young big's but we have time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:19:54 PM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Yup, you're worrying too much.
Enjoy the season- I think everyone on the roster has at least two or three more good years, barring injury of course.
And Ainge hasn't made very many bad moves, really only Blount and Telfair IMO, so things should be OK.

The Raef LaFrentz trade was pretty bad IMO, and even though the Telfair move was bad, Danny trading to land Rondo in the same draft cancels it out.  I actually give Danny a pass when it comes to Blount, hindsight is always 20/20, maybe I should only speak for myself, but lets think back to that offseason where Blount was putting up some insane numbers the entire 2nd half of the season, and wonder how many of us would have probably given Blount that contract too.
Greg