Author Topic: Dunleavy is Right (Wade palming)  (Read 12253 times)

Re: Dunleavy is Right (Wade palming)
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
None of the others are as blatant as Wade.  LeBron takes steps too, and Iverson palms, but not on every play.  Wade travels EVERY TIME he makes that spin move.

Awhile back, someone put together a youtube of Wade's travelling violations, and it's just mind-boggling what he gets away with.

A travel is a travel.  No one gets called for it consistently, so to complain about one guy getting away with it, while everyone else does as well, just seems whiny.

so does complaining when the mean old officals call you for it once in awhile, which is what dwayne was doing in the article that sparked this thread.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Dunleavy is Right
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Wade palms the ball alot and the refs don't call it.  He also takes 3-4 steps when he does that spin move of his and the refs don't call that either.

The problem is, you can replace "Wade" with 90% of the stars in this league, and it still would be true. 

Lebron Almost always takes an extra step when he is going in for a dunk in traffic. 

Don't even get me started on Iverson.

Even our own KG travels just about every time he gets the ball...especially in the post.
Bad for the league, bad for the true fan, good $maker I guess.

Exactly. Giving the players an extra step or two creates more exciting plays, and more exciting plays leads to higher ratings. I wouldn't have a problem with the NBA calling traveling and palming more often but there is a good percentage of casual NBA fans that wouldn't like it at all.

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 01:00:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
How about Joe Johnson's "hop-stop" move?
Yup

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Wade palms the ball alot and the refs don't call it.  He also takes 3-4 steps when he does that spin move of his and the refs don't call that either.

The problem is, you can replace "Wade" with 90% of the stars in this league, and it still would be true. 

Lebron Almost always takes an extra step when he is going in for a dunk in traffic. 

Even our own KG travels just about every time he gets the ball...especially in the post.

So true about KG.  He might even get away with it more than D-wayde's spin.  ;)

I actually disagree with this.  He's been getting called fairly often for it this year - I remember one game where it got called on him at least four times.  It's possible that this is why he became a jump-shooter for awhile - he couldn't go to the basket without getting called for travelling.

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 02:47:25 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

So true about KG.  He might even get away with it more than D-wayde's spin.  ;)

I actually disagree with this.  He's been getting called fairly often for it this year - I remember one game where it got called on him at least four times.  It's possible that this is why he became a jump-shooter for awhile - he couldn't go to the basket without getting called for travelling.

Generally he gets called for it once, maybe twice per game.  He does it litterally 70% of the time he touches the ball.

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 04:07:28 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Exactly. Giving the players an extra step or two creates more exciting plays, and more exciting plays leads to higher ratings. I wouldn't have a problem with the NBA calling traveling and palming more often but there is a good percentage of casual NBA fans that wouldn't like it at all.

If the fans like it so much then the NBA should change the rules and let everyone do it.

If some rookie 2nd round pick tried Wade's moves, he'd be whistled back to the D-league in a week.  The fact is that Wade is one of the league's Annointed Young Stars and there is a different set of rules for him.

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 04:16:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

If the fans like it so much then the NBA should change the rules and let everyone do it.

If some rookie 2nd round pick tried Wade's moves, he'd be whistled back to the D-league in a week.  The fact is that Wade is one of the league's Annointed Young Stars and there is a different set of rules for him.

How come Tony Allen gets away with it every time he tries to dribble then?  Is he getting superstar treatment?

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 04:46:15 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I don't see Tony Allen getting away with much of anything. Even Pierce is getting called when he shuffles his feet before dribbling.

If you want to see a great crossover without palming the ball, watch Ray Allen. Just about everything Ray does is fundamentally sound.

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

So true about KG.  He might even get away with it more than D-wayde's spin.  ;)

The problem that I have with this behavior is that these guys are role models to kids growing up, so the young ones are likely to model these behaviors and incorporate them into their game.  Kind of like street ball ruining pick up games.

Palming happens with just about any player, to me it's a somewhat acceptable evolution of the game as long as it's not blatant and I feel the refs have a similar point of view.  

The spin move, however, is pretty much a violation of the rules.

The problem I have with D-Wayde though, (lost a lot of respect for him, when he used to be my favorite non-celtic) is the slap away move that pulled in his game winning shot against Dallas in the finals.  He blatantly slapped away (Dirk I think)'s hand and made a game winning jumper which was eerily similar to Jordan's last big shot against Harper (I believe) of Utah.
That slap away move was obvious when Jordan did it, and even more so when D-Wayde pulled it.  The difference is Jordan was a legend at the end of his career and D-Wayde was almost a rookie who was pushed into the spotlight when the league needed $.  

All in all a lot of players get calls that they shouldn't and it just comes down to the dirty politics of the business.

Bad for the league, bad for the true fan, good $maker I guess.

The guy on the Jazz was Byron Russell.  Everytime I see that play, I hate it a little more.  Seeing Russell lose his balance and fall over while Jordan pulls back with his arm still extended out completely ruins everything.

I hate that people glorify a play that shouldnt have even counted.

for those who dont know the play im talking about, heres a link to it on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDlae0rN2g
Greg

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 05:21:40 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I don't see Tony Allen getting away with much of anything. Even Pierce is getting called when he shuffles his feet before dribbling.

If you want to see a great crossover without palming the ball, watch Ray Allen. Just about everything Ray does is fundamentally sound.
Ray has his own personal traveling move, too. He occasionally travels when he catches and shoots. He takes an extra step when he's caught the ball and still looks like he's floating in the air. It's something I don't think the refs have ever thought about calling before, so in that way it's different from what people are talking about with Wade, AI, and KG.

Check out this mix at 45 seconds (Bobcats game winner) for a slow motion example of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxK-RPuTEok&feature=related

While Wade and AI's violations are more frequent (and way more annoying), you've gotta admit that Ray does break the rules here, and technically gets an unfair advantage (better balance) in the process.

The fact that I remembered seeing Ray do this before, and that I was then was able to find the violation quickly on youtube, does show that this isn't something Ray has done only a couple of times.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

Ray has his own personal traveling move, too. He occasionally travels when he catches and shoots. He takes an extra step when he's caught the ball and still looks like he's floating in the air. It's something I don't think the refs have ever thought about calling before, so in that way it's different from what people are talking about with Wade, AI, and KG.

Check out this mix at 45 seconds (Bobcats game winner) for a slow motion example of this.

While Wade and AI's violations are more frequent (and way more annoying), you've gotta admit that Ray does break the rules here, and technically gets an unfair advantage (better balance) in the process.

The fact that I remembered seeing Ray do this before, and that I was then was able to find the violation quickly on youtube, does show that this isn't something Ray has done only a couple of times.

I gotta admit......I dont see it.  It looks like Ray catches the ball in the air and then lands with both feet, then goes right back up.  Maybe I'm missing it.

Either way, I think the point of this thread wasnt that Dwayne Wade is the ONLY player to have broken a rule and not get called, but its that he does it blatantly and it never gets called.  Refs dont have the luxury of watching a slow motion replay like we do on youtube.  In regards to small stuff like that, it never bothers me, because as much as we benefit from it, in the long run itll balance out, someone else will get away with it against us some other time, in some other game.  What makes me mad, and I'm sure the guy who started this thread as well, is that, again, Wade blatantly does it, and it never gets called, and its a continuous advantage he has over defenders instead of a one time extra step that was too fast for an official to notice.
Greg

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 05:42:23 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Didn't Larry catch a pass, look down and realize he wasn't behind the three point line, take a step back and drain a three?  ;)

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 05:49:21 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
Didn't Larry catch a pass, look down and realize he wasn't behind the three point line, take a step back and drain a three?  ;)

hahaha you cant expect mortals to be able to do what Larry Bird is able to do.

Again, since movie trivia fever has struck us all, I'll illustrate with a quote.

From Space Jam
Bill Murray: Is it because Im white Michael?  It's because Im white isnt it?

Michael Jordan:  Larrys white and he was a great basketball player

Bill Murray:  Larrys not white.....Larrys clear.

;D
Greg

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 06:12:16 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

I gotta admit......I dont see it.  It looks like Ray catches the ball in the air and then lands with both feet, then goes right back up.  Maybe I'm missing it.

Either way, I think the point of this thread wasnt that Dwayne Wade is the ONLY player to have broken a rule and not get called, but its that he does it blatantly and it never gets called.  Refs dont have the luxury of watching a slow motion replay like we do on youtube.  In regards to small stuff like that, it never bothers me, because as much as we benefit from it, in the long run itll balance out, someone else will get away with it against us some other time, in some other game.  What makes me mad, and I'm sure the guy who started this thread as well, is that, again, Wade blatantly does it, and it never gets called, and its a continuous advantage he has over defenders instead of a one time extra step that was too fast for an official to notice.

No, what I said about Ray definitely isn't the point of this thread. But I have noticed it watching in fast motion, too, and I think that in the youtube video it's pretty clear. Upon catching the basketball, a player is allowed either two steps or a jump stop. Ray has a firm grasp on the ball and then takes three steps. The first step is hardly notcieable because as I said it looks like he's kind of floating in the air. In fact, that subtle initial step is probably the only reason he appears to stay in the air for so long after catching the ball.

I admit that this really doesn't matter at all. Now that I've made the point though, I can't resist doing my best to back it up.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 07:32:07 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

Don't diss Larry man. Not cool.  ;D ;D