Author Topic: Dunleavy is Right (Wade palming)  (Read 12225 times)

Dunleavy is Right (Wade palming)
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:15:31 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Wade palms the ball alot and the refs don't call it.  He also takes 3-4 steps when he does that spin move of his and the refs don't call that either.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:15:02 PM by Roy Hobbs »

Re: Dunleavy is Right
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 10:39:12 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Wade palms the ball alot and the refs don't call it.  He also takes 3-4 steps when he does that spin move of his and the refs don't call that either.

oh yea, ive said that for years.

Wade's a great player, but his entire iso game is based around that blatently illegal crossover where he palms the ball and gives that hesitation shoulder move.

I brought this up along time ago and someone pointed to iverson doing a hesitiation crossover too, btu the diffrance is AI doesn't palm the ball during it.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
The only difference between Wade and the messiah is that Wade might get occasionally get called after the 4th step.  There is no limit to the number of steps the messiah gets and the messiah will never get called for traveling....Or anything else for that matter. The Red Sea doesn't part for the messiah because the opponents are physically intimidated.  They part because the opponents want to stay in the game.

Wade is back to getting ridiculous calls and non-calls for his drama queen antics.

It would be truly interesting to see how today's stars would adjust if today's Stern-driven star-protectionist officials were replaced with officials of the pre-Jordan era.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Wade's a great player, but his entire iso game is based around that blatently illegal crossover where he palms the ball and gives that hesitation shoulder move.

I brought this up along time ago and someone pointed to iverson doing a hesitiation crossover too, btu the diffrance is AI doesn't palm the ball during it.

Didn't Iverson go through a stretch during his 1st or 2nd year when they were calling him for palming? I think that the league told him beforehand that they had determined that he was palming and that they were going to start calling it on him. I could be thinkin of someone else (like Mitch Richmond) but I think it was AI.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:42:17 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Yeah I have said this for a while too, Wade's palming is even more egregious because he does it while slashing, creating a completely unfair advantage against defenders. This is completely the reason he is able to slash and cut so quickly, everyone travels, but this one is a big deal in my book.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 11:43:10 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Didn't Iverson go through a stretch during his 1st or 2nd year when they were calling him for palming? I think that the league told him beforehand that they had determined that he was palming and that they were going to start calling it on him. I could be thinkin of someone else (like Mitch Richmond) but I think it was AI.

I dunno, but i wouldn't be suprised.

The thing about wades crossover is its SO blatant. He littearly turns the ball up with his palm underneath it, and it's never called.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:08:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The problem is, you can replace "Wade" with 90% of the stars in this league, and it still would be true. 

Lebron Almost always takes an extra step when he is going in for a dunk in traffic. 

Don't even get me started on Iverson.

Even our own KG travels just about every time he gets the ball...especially in the post.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Yes, I remember this but i think it was like his 3rd year.  They called him legit for a year or less then stopped calling it.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

The problem is, you can replace "Wade" with 90% of the stars in this league, and it still would be true. 

Lebron Almost always takes an extra step when he is going in for a dunk in traffic. 

Even our own KG travels just about every time he gets the ball...especially in the post.

yes but most dont turn the ball face up with thier hand directly underneath it and hold it like that for 2-3 seconds while they do the shiver shake.

At least the other guys listed try to make it look like they aren't traveling when they are.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
It's just as blatant with Iverson and Nash as it is with Wade.  Wade is taller so his strides make it more obvious when he's palming.  Iverson gets called every once in awhile. Nash and Wade never gets called.   At a lesser level, Tony Allen actually does the same thing.

I remember the stretch Tim is talking about.  It occured to the officials for about 20-30 games that there was actually that palming rule thing in the rulebook.  They cracked down on everybody.  Iverson whined.  First of all, because he was the Wade of that era where palming was concerned.  Second of all, between being a malcontent, Iverson is one of the premier whiners of his NBA generation.    

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 12:21:21 PM »

Offline 16Bannaz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 18
The only difference between Wade and the messiah is that the messiah might get occasionally get called after the 4th step.  There is no limit to the number of steps wade gets and wade will never get called for traveling....Or anything else for that matter. The Red Sea doesn't part for the messiah because the opponents are physically intimidated.  They part because the opponents want to stay in the game.

Wade is back to getting ridiculous calls and non-calls for his drama queen antics.

It would be truly interesting to see how today's stars would adjust if today's Stern-driven star-protectionist officials were replaced with officials of the pre-Jordan era.

fixed  ;D

Re: Dunleavy is Right (Wade palming)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
None of the others are as blatant as Wade.  LeBron takes steps too, and Iverson palms, but not on every play.  Wade travels EVERY TIME he makes that spin move.

Awhile back, someone put together a youtube of Wade's travelling violations, and it's just mind-boggling what he gets away with.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 12:37:24 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

So true about KG.  He might even get away with it more than D-wayde's spin.  ;)

The problem that I have with this behavior is that these guys are role models to kids growing up, so the young ones are likely to model these behaviors and incorporate them into their game.  Kind of like street ball ruining pick up games.

Palming happens with just about any player, to me it's a somewhat acceptable evolution of the game as long as it's not blatant and I feel the refs have a similar point of view.  

The spin move, however, is pretty much a violation of the rules.

The problem I have with D-Wayde though, (lost a lot of respect for him, when he used to be my favorite non-celtic) is the slap away move that pulled in his game winning shot against Dallas in the finals.  He blatantly slapped away (Dirk I think)'s hand and made a game winning jumper which was eerily similar to Jordan's last big shot against Harper (I believe) of Utah.

That slap away move was obvious when Jordan did it, and even more so when D-Wayde pulled it.  The difference is Jordan was a legend at the end of his career and D-Wayde was almost a rookie who was pushed into the spotlight when the league needed $.  

All in all a lot of players get calls that they shouldn't and it just comes down to the dirty politics of the business.

Bad for the league, bad for the true fan, good $maker I guess.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 12:39:45 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
I have seen several traveling call on Lebron this year, and I like to see his look of pure amazement (is that a word?) when he gets called. 

I credit the refs for at least calling some travelling this year.

The palming is ridiculous.  Hopefully he starts getting it called on him every once in a while

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 12:50:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
None of the others are as blatant as Wade.  LeBron takes steps too, and Iverson palms, but not on every play.  Wade travels EVERY TIME he makes that spin move.

Awhile back, someone put together a youtube of Wade's travelling violations, and it's just mind-boggling what he gets away with.

A travel is a travel.  No one gets called for it consistently, so to complain about one guy getting away with it, while everyone else does as well, just seems whiny.