Author Topic: Tyler Hansbrough  (Read 8848 times)

Tyler Hansbrough
« on: December 04, 2008, 11:00:40 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
many draft boards have him going in the 20's for next years draft. If anything was to make him drop and still be on the board when our turn is up....do you take him? if we lose baby or powe in free agency he could fill one of their shoes, and i think he would make a good celtic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZGNV8rgAmc

Re: Tyler Hansbrough
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 11:21:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The Celtics traded their first rounder to Minnesota for KG; we won't be picking until #59 or #60, so it's pretty doubtful he'll be on the board.

I do think he'll be a good pick for somebody, though.  He won't be a superstar, but he will be a solid role player.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 11:47:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think Hansborough will be a lot like Maxiell for D-troit.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 12:03:31 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I used to go to UNC til this year and saw Hansborough play a lot in person.  I think his ceiling is an Antawn Jamison type with hustle - he'll need to continue improving his jumper to get there, but Jamison didn't have much of a jumper in college either. 

At the very least he'll be an energy player with a knack for fighting his way to rebounds and a great ability to put the ball in the basket from every possible angle, even after contact.  Picture Leon Powe with a softer shooting touch.  He's also remarkably injury free for all the contact he takes (this year's shin problem is his first real injury, and it wasn't incurred in a game).  I think he's practically guaranteed to be a contributor no matter where he winds up.

The biggest negative, other than questionable athleticism, is that by all accounts he is dumb as a rock, so his ability to learn a pro scheme may be hindered.  But he'd hardly be the only intellectually limited player in the NBA, so that may not be a factor.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 12:23:47 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
He's currently slotted to go at #22 to Minnesota (nbadraft.net).  That is the third first rounder for Minny.  Think they might sell for $2M?  Think Boston might be a buyer?  I don't. But if someone does, then I could see Tyler here in Boston.  If Cs trade one of Powe/ BBD (in Feb, for some vet help), I would be all for such a deal -- I like Tyler and think he could contribute off the bench pretty much immediately.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 02:11:32 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Not a big fan of Hansbrough.  I just don't see him being more than a decent role player in the league. He's a hard worker and a competitor but I don't think his game is going to translate well to the pro level. He isn't that tall and still needs alot of work.  If he ever got 3 point range, then that would pretty much make him a slimmer version of Scal that's a slightly better rebounder. 

If we're talking about who the Celtic's should draft if they somehow traded for a 1st rounder in the 20's you got to consider Stephen Curry, Robert Vaden, or Josh Heytvelt. (so long as his mind is playing basketball and not other off court things)  Of course I'm sure Danny would look at Lee Cummard for obvious reasons, though he's more of an early 2nd round pick.  I also like Ogilvy from Vandy.  I see him being very similar to Bogut. Not quite the passer, but rebounding and post scoring much the same.   

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 04:14:52 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Considering how weak this draft is I see his positioning on the boards as a joke.  He should go in the lottery with the talent he has compared to the talent coming to the league next year.  I would take him in a heartbeat even though it will never happen for us next year with our pick.  He will end up being much better than Big Baby in the league. 

I think Powe is actually a good comparison for him.  Undersized for a big, but very scrappy.  Psycho T might have a bit more skill and a little higher of a ceiling though.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 07:33:38 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Not saying he'll get there, but his game reminds me of dave cowens' game

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 07:47:10 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Would love him to drop to us. But definitely wont happen, he's too good.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 09:06:06 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I guess I don't see what everyone else see's.  Dude's going to be the next Sheldon Williams imo. 

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 10:32:22 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I guess I don't see what everyone else see's.  Dude's going to be the next Sheldon Williams imo. 

He plays harder then everyone else on the court.  I think that's what you're missing.  He's better then Leon Powe in my opinion.  He's more skilled, a better shooter, a better free throw shooter, and I think that's what his worse case scenario is, a little better then Leon Powe.  Not a bad scenario if you ask me, a 7th guy on a championship caliber team.  The guy will probably never be a starter, but I could see him being a very very good 6th man.
do it

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 10:49:18 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I know I've posted this on here before but that Hansbrough highlight video reminded me of this.  Even the announcers a bit.

Does anyone else see that spin move of Tyler's leading to a ton of charges or stripped balls in the NBA?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKwLcpN5iTE
Yup

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 04:19:03 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
forgot about us not having this years pick. my bad. unless he hurts his knees and drops to us (usually works well for us)

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Look for him to be a little more talented Mark Madsen. He will hang around the NBA for 20+ years in a bench role. Good energy guy. Doesn't have the offensive game to be a starter in the NBA. Limited hops and foot speed don't really translate. Great heart and hustle though. Love to have that type of guy on your squad.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 01:28:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I see him being Ryan Gomes, with a little better defense.  If he is available at 20 or later, some team is going to be very happy.