Author Topic: Blazers (14-6) at Celtics (18-2) 12/5  (Read 29469 times)

Re: Blazers (14-6) at Celtics (18-2) 12/5
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2008, 12:11:50 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
This also shows the delicate ballance of Garnett’s effect on a team, allready early in the 3rd qtr when the bench was playing you saw Garnett sitting on the bench allmost taunting the players on the court making gestures as if they were stupid (pointing his index finger to his head, while having eye contact with someone on the court) we saw the downside to Garnett’s intensity tonight and one of the downsides of Doc’s coaching style aswell as Garnett’ didnt have the right mindset to handle that huddle and Doc should have kept Garnett away from it.

I'm with Dybdal on this. (TP, by the way.) There's meaningful difference between holding teammates accountable and showing them up. It's a line that Bryant and James frequently cross, and I'm not going to defend Garnett when he falls into that.

We do not know what was said either. How can we blame anyone if we don't know anything other then KG getting mad and Davis throwing a fit? It possible that KG went too far or Davis needs to grow up or a little bit of both.

« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2008, 12:17:39 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Why do you have a problem with what KG was doing? The starters had worked hard all game building up a big lead, and they were absolutely dominating the game. Because of the poor play of the bench, a dejected Blazers squad managed to climb back in the game with all of their scrubs on the floor. This was unacceptable, and KG let the bench know it. It may have been ill-advised for Doc to insert POB into the game when he did, but even so the onus was on POB to prove that he belonged in the game. The rest of the bench had a responsibility to play hard and play intelligently, as well, and they didn't do either tonight. What makes KG great is that he's always turned on. So it's understandable that when he sees Portland let back into the game because of a bunch of unnecessary mental mistakes, he's going to be upset.

Being upset is one thing, being apart of a problem that happens during the game is another thing entierly and there is a reason why Garnett isnt on the bench when injured, and its not for his sake.

KG was not taunting anyone. He pointed his pinger to his head not to say "you're stupid," but to say "that was a stupid mistake, you're better than that."

I disagree, that sitiuation your talking about had nothing but negativity and bad vibes about it and while most likely meant in a positive way as your talking about, comunication is 2 way thing, there has to be a reaciver for it to function and i cant fathom anyone taking it in a fashion as you discribe.

As the leader of the team, it's KG's job to rally the troops in the huddle. Doc has no reason to prevent KG from talking to his teammates. They showed KG's demeanor in the huddle over and over again on ESPN. He was not verbally lashing anyone, and seemed to be just speaking in his normal intense manner.
Everyone else on the team was listening intently to KG. Big Baby sulked on the end of the bench. I like Davis, and I hope he bounces back from this, but I'm not going to blame this on Kevin Garnett, the team's emotional leader.

No, No, No, No, No! its not KG's job to handle the huddles, he's supposed to be an on court leader, handling the huddles is actualy what Doc's paid for and its called coaching and what happend is as much on Doc's hands as it is Garnett/Glen's

No matter how you try to spin it, Glen Davis was upset when entering the huddle, the only one visibly speaking on the ESPN feed was Garnett and you have to be freaking kidding me if you think Glen went off like he did if nothing out of the ordinary happend in that huddle.

The only thing i actualy agree with you on is that Garnett is the emotional leader of this team, he sure is and emotion showed it can be a two way snake as Garnett's emotions had a negative impact on this perticular sitiuation
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2008, 12:19:08 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
Why do you have a problem with what KG was doing? The starters had worked hard all game building up a big lead, and they were absolutely dominating the game. Because of the poor play of the bench, a dejected Blazers squad managed to climb back in the game with all of their scrubs on the floor. This was unacceptable, and KG let the bench know it. It may have been ill-advised for Doc to insert POB into the game when he did, but even so the onus was on POB to prove that he belonged in the game. The rest of the bench had a responsibility to play hard and play intelligently, as well, and they didn't do either tonight. What makes KG great is that he's always turned on. So it's understandable that when he sees Portland let back into the game because of a bunch of unnecessary mental mistakes, he's going to be upset.

Being upset is one thing, being apart of a problem that happens during the game is another thing entierly and there is a reason why Garnett isnt on the bench when injured, and its not for his sake.

KG was not taunting anyone. He pointed his pinger to his head not to say "you're stupid," but to say "that was a stupid mistake, you're better than that."

I disagree, that sitiuation your talking about had nothing but negativity and bad vibes about it and while most likely meant in a positive way as your talking about, comunication is 2 way thing, there has to be a reaciver for it to function and i cant fathom anyone taking it in a fashion as you discribe.

As the leader of the team, it's KG's job to rally the troops in the huddle. Doc has no reason to prevent KG from talking to his teammates. They showed KG's demeanor in the huddle over and over again on ESPN. He was not verbally lashing anyone, and seemed to be just speaking in his normal intense manner.
Everyone else on the team was listening intently to KG. Big Baby sulked on the end of the bench. I like Davis, and I hope he bounces back from this, but I'm not going to blame this on Kevin Garnett, the team's emotional leader.

No, No, No, No, No! its not KG's job to handle the huddles, he's supposed to be an on court leader, handling the huddles is actualy what Doc's paid for and its called coaching and what happend is as much on Doc's hands as it is Garnett/Glen's

No matter how you try to spin it, Glen Davis was upset when entering the huddle, the only one visibly speaking on the ESPN feed was Garnett and you have to be freaking kidding me if you think Glen went off like he did if nothing out of the ordinary happend in that huddle.

The only thing i actualy agree with you on is that Garnett is the emotional leader of this team, he sure is and emotion showed it can be a two way snake as Garnett's emotions had a negative impact on this perticular sitiuation

Tell me what was said. Until then we don't exactly know what happened. I will wait make an informed decision since there is no proof of anything other then speculation.

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2008, 12:24:54 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown

Tell me what was said. Until then we don't exactly know what happened. I will wait make an informed decision since there is no proof of anything other then speculation.

Your 100% right we dont know anything about what went on, but grasping after straws and saying its all on Glen is not fair in my assesment, the sitiuation of Garnett sitting on the bench pointing his index finger at his head to a guy on the other side of the court, dosnt really have anything to do with any spoken words as the reciver was so far away for the words to actualy be heared by that perticular person.

What happend in the huddle, now that would have been very interresting to hear the Inside Trax on what really went on but would also have been extremly disrespectfull to the Celtics to air on TV.

We wont know, but i will still firmly say that its unlogical to think that nothing out of the ordinary was said by Garnett when you take Glen's initial reaction in the huddle and his reaction when he got to sit down next to Pruitt into account, it just dosnt add up or make any sense based out of what we know about Glen and Garnett.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2008, 12:30:19 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
Let's let KG and Davis handle it. The interview at the end sounds like KG and Davis are going to talk about it I am sure things will get straightened out. Too emotional players let their emotion probably get the best of them.

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2008, 01:06:38 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Doc's job is to manage his team. In managing the team, it appeared that Doc elected to let KG talk to his teammates on the bench. You may not think this is KG's job, but Doc did. Again, how do you know that KG was showing anyone up? Glen may not have even been p---ed at KG - KG didn't even look at Davis while talking to the rest of the bench. Maybe Glen was just kind of mad at the situation in general.

So if it's never a floor leader's job to talk to his teammates on the bench, then why do NBA coaches encourage this by letting players work things out on their own for the first half of almost every timeout? And what about the famous Antoine Walker grilling of Paul Pierce before the 4th quarter of our legendary ECF comeback against the Nets?

And the pointing at his head thing. How many times have you seen KG dish out passionate positive support to his teammates from the bench in garbage time? Is he not entitled to criticize someone for doing something badly?

The mind boggling thing to me about the way that you're looking at this is that for 1 World Championship year and 19 games, KG's intensity propelled this team to greatness. I think it's safe to say it was a positive thing. Then, a second-year player throws a tantrum, and KG's emotion is all of a sudden a negative? Why do I give the benefit of the doubt to KG? I don't think you need me to answer that question any further.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2008, 06:18:43 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
I just woke up and read what i wrote at 6' in the morning i went to bed and in hindsight with a less sleepy mind today, i can see i was both offensive and rude in my tone of voice towards you.

For that i am truely sorry as it was uncalled for.

Your new post didnt really shed any new light on the matter as it seems we are beating around the bush at this point on this matter, i still stand by the sentiments i wrote last night about what happend on the court but i've never meant to say that KG's overall emotional game is something he should keep away from.

Its been something thats been overall beneficial to the team for 1+ year and will continue to be for some time in the future but no ones perfect and KG was at fault yesterday, so was Doc and Glen and i stand by that.

Anywho, gotta get some breakfest and abit more sleep (6 hours on a saturday just dosnt cut it in my age)

- Larry Bird

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2008, 02:17:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Anyone got a video of the play where we get an offensive rebound, Rondo takes the ball to the half court, I think with Fernandez on him, and Rondo starts toying with with some of his swagger... he finishes up with penetrating and a layup?

« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2008, 09:38:47 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Just finished watching last nights game.  The fast break was pretty impressive...The beat goes on!
Yup