Author Topic: Are the Portland Trailblazers that good?  (Read 8851 times)

Are the Portland Trailblazers that good?
« on: December 04, 2008, 12:41:14 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I haven't seen them play a full game this year but how is their defense? Their only going to get better by the end of the season. Greg Oden and Lamarcus Aldrdge are actually underachieving so far just looking at their numbers but I know they'll get to the next level late in the year like Brandon Roy's level. Do you think they're that good or are just benefiting from a weak and injured WC.

Re: Are the Portland Trailblazers that good?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 12:45:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Do you think they're that good or are just benefiting from a weak and injured WC.

Is this the same weak and injured Western Conference that's stronger and deeper where the Lakers are concerned?

Portland's a decent team.  I don't think they're championship contenders yet, but they're taking a step in that direction.  They're winning the games they're scheduled to play.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:52:43 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I haven't seen them play a full game this year but how is their defense? Their only going to get better by the end of the season. Greg Oden and Lamarcus Aldrdge are actually underachieving so far just looking at their numbers but I know they'll get to the next level late in the year like Brandon Roy's level. Do you think they're that good or are just benefiting from a weak and injured WC.

I'm just glad that they'll be REALLY good when the big 3 are on the downside a few years from now, and our championship expectations are lower.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 12:58:31 PM »

Offline WayneKreklow

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Having watched most of their game, not sure I'd label them as "that good" but they will be a team that gets more and more scary as the year goes by. A lot of young players, playing with passion, well coached with a guy (Roy) on the verge of "making the leap" to the next level.

It will be very interesting to see how they mentally handle the dog days of the schedule (Jan/Feb) and then physically handle the last 10+ games.

You also get this strange feeling when watching them that this could be the last time you see all 5 starters on the court for a while, as their top guys are all injury prone.

But they are extremely fun to watch

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think Portland is about a 50-55 win team.  So at the moment, they are playing slightly over their head (I think they are on a 57 win pace).  They are a very good team, and I think they are probably somewhere around the 4th-6th best team in the West.  But until they upgrade their PG position, and sort out their rotation a little more, I don't see them being that dangerous in the playoffs this year.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 01:04:14 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Do you think they're that good or are just benefiting from a weak and injured WC.

Is this the same weak and injured Western Conference that's stronger and deeper where the Lakers are concerned?

Portland's a decent team.  I don't think they're championship contenders yet, but they're taking a step in that direction.  They're winning the games they're scheduled to play.

The mark of a truly team truly ready to make the leap is winning those surprise-attack games that it isn't scheduled to play.

Sorry, couldn't resist messing with ya, Redz  ;)

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 01:07:25 PM »

Offline Mideon

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
This won't be their year, but they're advancing faster than most people would have anticipated this year. Considering the fact that they are young and still immature, these guys will only improve. Couple that with the fact that they will almost certainly add another stud to that team, either through a trade or a free agent signing (they've got the $)...they have the potential to be scary good. Health is the only thing that could slow them down.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 01:10:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

The mark of a truly team truly ready to make the leap is winning those surprise-attack games that it isn't scheduled to play.

Sorry, couldn't resist messing with ya, Redz  ;)

-sw

Get in line Steve 8)

It's really not a bad idea though.  Throw in an 83rd unscheduled surprise game for each team.  See what they're really made of.  Anyone can win when they know a game is coming.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 01:16:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As of the beginning of the year the Blazers were the 2nd youngest and 2nd least experienced team in the league.

Want to know what I think of the Trailblazers? I think they are going to be scary good, like dynasty good in a couple of seasons. This will probably be their coming out year where they make a statement that they have arrived as a championship contender but a WCF loss would be the furthest I would expect them to go. If Oden doesn't hit a wall physically he will be a double double machine by year's end and Pryzbilla as a backup is awesome. Add to that the ever maturing games of Aldridge and Roy, the steady play of Outlaw, and the abundance of talented young guys of Fernandez, Rodriguez, Batum, and Bayless and the sky is the limit for this team.

Oh and did I mention they might have enough room for a max contract free agent in a couple years.

Ouch!!

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
They're very good.

----

What I don't get is why so many people like to watch them and find them a funny team. It just doesn't fit with the regular inclinations of the NBA fans, I think.

People generally prefer fast tempo teams and they play at an extremely slow tempo. People generally don't like jump-shooting team and they're almost exclusively a jump-shooting team, besides running some clearouts for Roy, I can't remember a team who relies so much on jumpers as them.

I like their game, they play good defense and have great ball movement, they're a very well-coached team. But I've heard so many times that the Spurs are boring, and that jump-shots are dull, it just doesn't connect.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
they're very good and with oden back, watch out. roy is still all-star level.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 06:42:46 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
This team has something that always gives our guys trouble and that is youth and athleticism.  Roy is a stud and a great guy on top of that.  LaMarcus Aldridge is definitely an NBA long-timer and with the Spanish dagger throwers added into the mix with Oden, they have been fun to watch.

I'm anxious to see how they do against the best and Friday night we'll find out because we are the ****' best.  Can't wait to see the matchups at all positions.  Let's pray this up and coming team gets Rondo'd.

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 06:53:10 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I have watched the Trailblazers  mature over a few seasons at a much quicker rate than most  expected of them.  (imo) Come playoff time,watchout western conference opponents.

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 08:11:32 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'm watched them play a few times this season and initially I thought they really needed to solidify their starting PG however Blake has played surprisingly very well and maybe the best season of his career so far in my opinion.  They are deeply talented team however I'm not so sure if superstar heavy talented although Roy is closing in on being one. 

At this point I liken them to a team that will be the like the Pistons of the last several seasons being very solid/borderline all star at every position with a good bench at the very least.  However they could surprise me and be more than that if Oden comes close to the hype (very much still in question and if he can stay healthy), Roy really elevates to superstar status, maybe Aldridge take another big leap in his game (seems to have taken a slight step back so far this year), or able to do something spectacular with the cap space they will be getting. 

Webster and Bayless their top pick aren't even in the rotation right now which goes to show everyone how deep they are.  I'm very curious how well they will do in the playoffs later on this year.

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 10:20:14 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
TP to Wayne -- I agree with your sentiments.

I have been a Portland Trailblazers fan for a number of years (I lived in Portland for over 5 years), and I am happy to see them start to succeed after sucking for so long (although I do miss the glory days of the 90s).  But I refuse to hop on the media train just yet.  The NBA season is a long one.  Last January, the media pundits were all over the Blazers, thought they were the best thing since sliced bread because of the December win streak (13 wins in a row in Decmeber 2007).  Did they make the playoffs? No.  And that was with Brandon Roy being relatively healthy. 

Are they better this year? Yes (Greg O. and Sergio R.).  But they are one injury (Roy) away from being a lottery team.  Will they be better in a few years? Yes, probably.  But the NBA is littered with teams that look good for stretches but dont pull it out in June.
Celtics fan for life.