Author Topic: Spread offense?  (Read 1935 times)

Spread offense?
« on: December 04, 2008, 02:27:36 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I thought there was an interesting dynamic in the last 5-6 minutes of the game last night. When Indy started to make their mini run to get the lead back to 9 I noticed Doc unveiled his version of the Patriots spread offense with Rondo playing the role of Tom Brady/Matt Cassel. With TA out and due to the team matchup Doc went with KG, Paul, Ray, Eddie $$$, and Rondo. Basically spreading out the floor for Rondo where his speed and quickness becomes absolutely impossible to deal with and allowing him to run pick and roll with KG. Rondo gets to the basket and Indy is forced to stay at home to respect the shooters on the floor. This spread offense was also used with Paul at the top of the key as well to get him cleaner looks as well. It was surprisingly effective and because we are overall an excellent rebounding team we really weren't abused by length. This is not a lineup that could be utilized against a number of teams or for very long in most games but I wonder if Doc might take a look and unveil this again before and after TA comes back for 3-4 minutes a half. No biggie if he doesn't but I thought that was an interesting look to see out there.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

Re: Spread offense?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 02:38:43 AM »

Offline Binky-King

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
The line up was new but not the Offense. It's no different from that "small ball" line up Doc had on the court at the of end games last year - with Posey, House, Allen & Pierce spreading the floor allowing KG or Paul to either go one-on-one or to set up the pick-n-roll.

Doc has always professed to hate that line up btw.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 03:04:28 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Doc's offense is inspired some by the same offense that Memphis runs, which is a spread offense. They just have their own flavor.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 03:21:41 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
The line up was new but not the Offense. It's no different from that "small ball" line up Doc had on the court at the of end games last year - with Posey, House, Allen & Pierce spreading the floor allowing KG or Paul to either go one-on-one or to set up the pick-n-roll.

Doc has always professed to hate that line up btw.

Point taken about us using it last year at times and I do remember Doc saying he hated having to use it. And if Doc never uses it again so be it. I will say that I think Rondo is better now than he was last year and would be more effective using that set this year than he was last year. I think that whole unit know having played with each other more and Ray obviously more healthy this year and the just overall knowledge these guys have about how to play with each other this set could be effective in small spurts.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 06:10:30 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
what is surprising to me is that people have not doubled off of rondo... people are doubling off of ray allen? if they keep a big man in the post, i see no reason why teams are not doubling kg off of rondo much anymore.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 06:35:20 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I've always wanted to see House and Rondo play together since Eddie is a great shooter who moves well without the ball.  However, I do realize that this can only be played against other small backcourts for defensive reasons, even though Eddie does hustle his a$$ off.