Author Topic: Payton on Rondo  (Read 5372 times)

Payton on Rondo
« on: December 04, 2008, 12:52:08 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
A question was asked to Gary Payton on NBA TV weather Rondo should be an all-star and he just laughed it off.
i have a problem with that because he is now an analyst and should give players props when they play well.
the only PG's i have seen him give props to are Paul and Williams (who has been injured most the season)
seems to me that Payton is holding a grudge thinking that he can still play and no NBA team picked him up, just hating on everybody.

Re: Payton on Rondo
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 02:09:54 AM »

Offline Binky-King

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
He's playing well right now, but lets see what happens over a course of a season.

You have to remember that those other point guards he's competing with for an all star slot have been playing well at a high level for years.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 02:43:59 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
He's playing well right now, but lets see what happens over a course of a season.

You have to remember that those other point guards he's competing with for an all star slot have been playing well at a high level for years.

Maybe but did Rondo deserve the treatment Gary Payton has given him? Absolutely not.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 03:26:13 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Rondo isn't in the West. Who are the favorites for the All Star game in the east at the guard position?

SG
Ray Allen
Vince Carter
Joe Johnson
Dwyane Wade (Vote?)
Rip Hamilton? (prob not this year)

PG
Devin Harris
Jose Calderon
Derrick Rose
Allen Iverson (Vote?)

Among the PG, only Iverson has been performing at a high level for years. Rondo should not be laughed at when discussing the all star game.

The fact that Rondo performed so well in game 6 can't hurt when it comes to public opinion. The main problem is Ray, Paul, and KG might all be on the team. Adding a 4th player might be a bit much, but we did win it all last year and have the best record this year.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 12:48:04 AM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Those guys are unwatchable on NBAtv Fan night....Eric Snow is the man when on GameTime...much much better than GP and Chris "timeout" Webber

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 04:08:39 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Those guys are unwatchable on NBAtv Fan night....Eric Snow is the man when on GameTime...much much better than GP and Chris "timeout" Webber

TP for the timeout hehe, that incident still makes me laugh. God, I wish I was actually at that game to see everyones reaction, it would have been priceless.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 04:18:01 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
This type of thread has become a theme on this site.  For whatever reason we can come up with GP does not like Rondo. 

As much as I love Rondo I don't think he will have the numbers to make the All-Star Game this year.  It's a numbers league and not enough coaches will look at what he means to this team.  Also having three other much qualified Celtics will hurt his cause.

That being said I do not think Payton should be just laughing it off.  He has put himself in the discussion with his play during this winning streak.  It's petty and doesn't belong with other unbiased analysts.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 06:32:37 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

PG
Devin Harris
Jose Calderon
Derrick Rose
Allen Iverson (Vote?)

Among the PG, only Iverson has been performing at a high level for years. Rondo should not be laughed at when discussing the all star game.

Don't forget about Mo Williams and Mike Bibby - and surprisingly Chris Duhon is averaging 8 assists per game...

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 08:25:37 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Mo Williams has to get alot of love. Look at the change in team statistics for the Cavs from this year to last. Not even Rondo had an impact like that. They are fourth in the league in scoring and have the third best record. Last year they circled around .500 and were a terrible scoring team.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 08:51:05 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Mo Williams has to get alot of love. Look at the change in team statistics for the Cavs from this year to last. Not even Rondo had an impact like that. They are fourth in the league in scoring and have the third best record. Last year they circled around .500 and were a terrible scoring team.

until the trade, after which they made marked improvments in all area's.

Curious, is the jump as dramatic if you only consider it from the time they dumped two pieces of dead weight in gooden and hughes for two shooters to contribute to thier scoring woes in west and wally?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Absolutely true.  Although I still argue that they are not significantly better than they were in the playoffs last year.  The Cavs had a tough regular season, dealing with injuries, hold-outs, and having to integrate new players after trades.  They really were not hitting their stride until the playoffs. 

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 01:05:35 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
i totally agree with you guys that rondo might not be deserving of an all-star spot, but should get consideration.
Mo williams really helped the cavs.

but my problem with GP is that he seems angry at the league, dissing every point guard not named Paul or or DW.

he is a professional analyst on a national channel, he should give credit when it is deserved and criticize those that are not performing. he should put his personal feelings aside and judge the quality of play

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
why do we even care whether or not rondo is an all-star?
He's not this year, and that's the bottom line...I dont even see how Pierce is with Lebron and Granger in the east and Pierce shooting below 40%

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 01:21:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
why do we even care whether or not rondo is an all-star?
He's not this year, and that's the bottom line...I dont even see how Pierce is with Lebron and Granger in the east and Pierce shooting below 40%

because its a popularity contest not a meritocracy and doc's the coach, so that at large spot most likely ain't going to granger this year due to the log jam at forawrd.

Here, I'll guess today at the east roster. I bet i get a bnuch of them right, and half of these are on name alone.

* denotes lock, no matter how they are playing. (though most of them are playing real well)

Guards:

Iverson *
R.Allen
Rip hamilton (this is calderons only hope, that detroit fans betray rip, which they might. If they do and don't vote a ton, doc makes the ballsy move and takes jose.)
Wade *
Harris (just playing to well for doc not to take him as a bench alt)

Forwards:

Lebron *
Pierce *
KG *
Bosh *
E.Brand / Sheed (Granger should go as the 5th here, but i would be shocked not to see an obligatory non-celtic/cav/piston here from a big market team. The nba is for everyone after all  ::))

Centers:

Howard *
(toughest spot to call, but im sure it won't be perk.)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:14:13 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 04:17:03 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
"ever since gary payton hated on him he's been playing great" -Kendrick Perkins