Author Topic: Warriors regreting Maggette, KG disses him  (Read 2728 times)

Warriors regreting Maggette, KG disses him
« on: December 03, 2008, 11:27:36 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Maggette not paying off for Warriors

Corey Maggette has proved to be a prolific scorer throughout his 10-year career. What he hasn't proved to be, however, is much else. Golden State's third-leading scorer this season (19.7 points), Maggette has become the Bay Area's black hole.

Five games, five Golden State losses and a more than 2:1 turnover-to-assist ratio. Maggette's selfish play hasn't gone unnoticed by other players. According to sources, after the final buzzer against Boston, Celtics forward Kevin Garnett turned to Maggette and shouted, "Way to get your numbers."

"He just puts his head down and goes to the basket," an Eastern Conference scout said. "He doesn't even look to pass."

Word from team sources is that the Warriors are already regretting signing Maggette to a five-year, $50 million deal last offseason. When Monta Ellis returns to the lineup early next year, Golden State will have to figure out how to spread the wealth among three players (Ellis, Jamal Crawford and Maggette) who aren't very good at spreading it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_mannix/12/03/billups.notes/

I never liked the prospect of wasting the entire MLE on this glorified Tony Allen without the defense - I was relieved when he signed somewhere else. The contract the Warriors offered him, I thought it was just insane. Mullin is a goner and rightly so.

Re: Warriors regreting Maggette, KG disses him
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:44:48 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Maggette not paying off for Warriors

Corey Maggette has proved to be a prolific scorer throughout his 10-year career. What he hasn't proved to be, however, is much else. Golden State's third-leading scorer this season (19.7 points), Maggette has become the Bay Area's black hole.

Five games, five Golden State losses and a more than 2:1 turnover-to-assist ratio. Maggette's selfish play hasn't gone unnoticed by other players. According to sources, after the final buzzer against Boston, Celtics forward Kevin Garnett turned to Maggette and shouted, "Way to get your numbers."

"He just puts his head down and goes to the basket," an Eastern Conference scout said. "He doesn't even look to pass."

Word from team sources is that the Warriors are already regretting signing Maggette to a five-year, $50 million deal last offseason. When Monta Ellis returns to the lineup early next year, Golden State will have to figure out how to spread the wealth among three players (Ellis, Jamal Crawford and Maggette) who aren't very good at spreading it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_mannix/12/03/billups.notes/

I never liked the prospect of wasting the entire MLE on this glorified Tony Allen without the defense - I was relieved when he signed somewhere else. The contract the Warriors offered him, I thought it was just insane. Mullin is a goner and rightly so.

I dont know, I think the MLE for CM would have been a steal -- in the right environment, he could become a decent defender, which would nicely complement his game.  Also, with KG, RA, PP breathing down his neck and keeping him in line, he would have quickly learned to pass the ball.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 12:51:50 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I dont know, I think the MLE for CM would have been a steal -- in the right environment, he could become a decent defender, which would nicely complement his game.  Also, with KG, RA, PP breathing down his neck and keeping him in line, he would have quickly learned to pass the ball.

Yeah, these criticisms seem a little skewed for a guy playing under Nellieball which encourages shooting. And really, outside of Jackson, who is going to be a playmaker on that team? It's up to Maggette to put the ball in the basket.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 10:23:18 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hmmmm....sometimes the best deals are the ones that don't happen.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 10:48:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hmmmm....sometimes the best deals are the ones that don't happen.
Amen and TP to that Don. Amen to that.