Author Topic: 2010 Shooting Guard  (Read 4940 times)

2010 Shooting Guard
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:56:51 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
who do you think will be the shooting guard for the celtics in the 10/11 season?

there are 3 SG's on the roster right now and none of them are guaranteed money for that season.

Ray Allen- Hall of Famer, arguably the BEST shooter to ever play the game. but has already shown that he's lost a step and will be 35 at the start of the season. another issue is 09/10 will be a contract year, will he take the celtics offer or look for more money elsewhere.

Tony Allen- Before his injury was considered a building block towards the future of the team, and this year he seems to be getting back to playing like "old tony". He can drive to the basket and get to the line at will, although his shot lacks consistancy. the best perimeter/one on one defender on the team.

JR Giddens- considered one of the top 20 players out of high school. played for the kansas jayhawks and earned all-big 12 freshman honors. after a few scuffles and character issues JR Transfered to New Mexico where he recreated himself, turning from a kid with character issues to a team leader. Giddens was co-MWC Player of the Year and became only the second player ever to lead the conference in points (16.3) and rebounds (8.8) in the same season. coming into this season JR has been behind his fellow rookie bill walker and it's been said that he's playing catch-up. But after being sent to the Development league JR has been dominating (22 pts, 2 asts, 7 reb, and 5 blocks per game).

Re: 2010 Shooting Guard
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:13:18 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Giddens isnt a free agent that offseason is he??

Does he have a player option, team option, etc.?
Greg

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 06:16:17 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I actually think Tony will price himself out of town. Ray might take a little less money and short terms if the Big Three are still playing like the Big Three, but I see Tony playing himself into one of those Luke Walton-like full MLE deals for some crappy team, and where he's younger, he's gotta take the money.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 06:54:35 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
It's gonna be Ray Allen.  And allong side KG and PP they will be raising number 19.

Seriously though, I really hope Danny keeps these guys together past their contract expirations.  With all the superstars slated to change teams that year, we stand to benefit greatly by keeping the guys in our system together.  Every other team will be scrabbling to gel, and we will be clicking on all cylinders.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 07:02:05 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
With the Conditioning habits that Ray Allen utilizes, he may very well be the best available option for us in 2010 and beyond. A discounted (not too much) extention may very well be in the works based on his health. I could see us paying him 35 million over 3 years after that if we are able to hang on to Pierce and KG as well. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
Giddens isnt a free agent that offseason is he??

Does he have a player option, team option, etc.?

its a team option.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 01:00:34 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
With the Conditioning habits that Ray Allen utilizes, he may very well be the best available option for us in 2010 and beyond. A discounted (not too much) extention may very well be in the works based on his health. I could see us paying him 35 million over 3 years after that if we are able to hang on to Pierce and KG as well. 8)

No way in hell a SG clears over 10 million per after the age of 35...Ray is a 6-8 million annual after his current deal is up...

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 01:05:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

No way in hell a SG clears over 10 million per after the age of 35...Ray is a 6-8 million annual after his current deal is up...

not to project to much onto him, but he'd probley take that and be ok with coming off the bench as he gets older. Ray is one of the true profesionals in the league, and he truly loves playing here i guess. For instance, in the write up of the on ray's awesome work for charity, his wife and him are qouted as saying they plan to stay here. His wife went as far as to say to wyc that he better have a office job for ray when he retires, because she feels coming home to the celtics is providence.

Now, obviously, it may not work out buisness wise, but i fully expect ray to realize he's 35 and that he's set for life and take a fair 2-3 year deal if its offered.

all this goes out the window if danny trades him next year though  :-\
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 01:34:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

not to project to much onto him, but he'd probley take that and be ok with coming off the bench as he gets older. Ray is one of the true profesionals in the league, and he truly loves playing here i guess. For instance, in the write up of the on ray's awesome work for charity, his wife and him are qouted as saying they plan to stay here. His wife went as far as to say to wyc that he better have a office job for ray when he retires, because she feels coming home to the celtics is providence.

Now, obviously, it may not work out buisness wise, but i fully expect ray to realize he's 35 and that he's set for life and take a fair 2-3 year deal if its offered.

Trade him to a team looking to cut payroll and nothing else.   Then hope that team is garbage and is in the middle of a youth movement.  Hope that said team will buy out Ray... wait 30 days... sign Ray back to Boston... and at the end of the year give him our full MLE.  lol

Silly Example off the top of my head that makes very little sense:  Say the Clippers stink this year (pretty much a given) and get a top pick.   Then say they stink again next year and mid-season realize, "Wait...  why are we paying Baron Davis for the next 3 years when our team stinks, we are in the middle of a youth movement around "unnamed 2009 1st round pick", Al Thornton and Eric Gordon and we freakin play in LOS ANGELES with the biggest free agent class in years coming up in a few months... WHAT ARE WE DOING!?!?!   LeBron wants to play in NYC or LA, right?... we play in LA... WHAT ARE WE DOING!?!?!?! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.... Call someone!!! CALL SOMEONE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!"

Thus...
#1 Boston Trades Ray Allen to the Clippers for Baron Davis and Chris Kaman.   
#2 Clippers decide, "Well we like Ray Allen and all, but we really want to make sure Eric Gordon gets a ton of playing time and we maximize our chances of tanking to a top pick
#3 Ray Allen decides, "I'm too old to play for this crap team... buy me out"
#4 Clippers buy out Ray
#5 Celtics sign Ray after 30 days
#6 Clippers build around "unnamed 2009 draft pick*, "unnamed 2010 draft pick", Eric Gordon and Al Thornton... and use their wealth of cap space and prime location to become a top player in the "summer of LeBron/Wade/Bosh"
#7  At season end we give Ray the full MLE over 3-5 seasons for being a trooper

Sounds logical to me.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:04:50 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 02:28:57 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Trade him to a team looking to cut payroll and nothing else.   Then hope that team is garbage and is in the middle of a youth movement.  Hope that said team will buy out Ray... wait 30 days... sign Ray back to Boston... and at the end of the year give him our full MLE.  lol

Silly Example off the top of my head that makes very little sense:  Say the Clippers stink this year (pretty much a given) and get a top pick.   Then say they stink again next year and mid-season realize, "Wait...  why are we paying Baron Davis for the next 3 years when our team stinks, we are in the middle of a youth movement around "unnamed 2009 1st round pick", Al Thornton and Eric Gordon and we freakin play in LOS ANGELES with the biggest free agent class in years coming up in a few months... WHAT ARE WE DOING!?!?!   LeBron wants to play in NYC or LA, right?... we play in LA... WHAT ARE WE DOING!?!?!?! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.... Call someone!!! CALL SOMEONE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!"

Thus...
#2 Clippers decide, "Well we like Ray Allen and all, but we really want to make sure Eric Gordon gets a ton of playing time and we maximize our chances of tanking to a top pick
#4 Clippers buy out Ray
#6 Clippers build around "unnamed 2009 draft pick*, "unnamed 2010 draft pick", Eric Gordon and Al Thornton... and use their wealth of cap space and prime location to become a top player in the "summer of LeBron/Wade/Bosh"

Tongue in cheek logical I suppose since there is 100% chance Boston doesn't need or want Baron Davis.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 04:37:05 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
at this point, I'll take Ray Allen in 2010 for $16-18/2

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 05:26:31 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

thats what i'm hoping for, i'd love to have ray off of the bench.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 12:09:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Thus...
#4 Clippers buy out Ray

Tongue in cheek logical I suppose since there is 100% chance Boston doesn't need or want Baron Davis.

I agree.   Unless he was willing to just be a huge scorer off our bench.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 12:13:22 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Thus...
#4 Clippers buy out Ray

I agree.   Unless he was willing to just be a huge scorer off our bench.

or play the 2.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 11:12:57 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

I would love to get Ray for 6-8 per after his current contract is up, so would half the teams in the league. Ray will be like Reggie Miller and play well beyond the 'age' he should retire. He will earn a nice paycheck from someone doing it too, I just hope he sticks with us for a few more years. He is a class act and his work ethic alone sets a great example for youngsters. Just my opinion. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku