Author Topic: Cristiano Ronaldo scoops Ballon d'Or  (Read 12184 times)

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo scoops Ballon d'Or
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 06:22:49 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
You have a point there (BTW when is the trial? ) but the BdO doesn`t go to the nicest guy.

By saying

i have the greatest respect for him.

i`m talking about Gerrard as a player. His life off the pitch is important since he is considered a model for the kids but 1 a little off topic regarding BdO or FIFA player of the year

Then you should say "respect him as
a footballer". But I see what you mean.

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 07:09:46 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Steven Gerrard is a horrible (insert rude word) who I can't stand as a person and, although I do rate him as a footballer, is grossly overrated. He's never been and never will be the World's best.

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 08:38:55 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit when I saw a post about soccer.

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 08:54:38 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit when I saw a post about soccer.

We're not forcing you to respond,
nor are we forcing you to read a
thread in which you have no interest.

Btw, we call it "football".
It's played with the feet.

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
Steven Gerrard is a horrible (insert rude word) who I can't stand as a person and, although I do rate him as a footballer, is grossly overrated. He's never been and never will be the World's best.

So why exactly is Gerrard overrated?

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 10:06:14 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
I'll give you this, its hilarious when a soccer guy goes down like hes been shot then hes back up 2 seconds later like nothing happened. Gladiators all of them, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 10:12:15 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
I'll repeat myself and I won't go
any further.
I've read some of your
other posts...

We're not forcing you to respond,
nor are we forcing you to read a
thread in which you have no interest.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 08:19:59 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
TP for ACF for the way he dealt with that idiot.

So why exactly is Gerrard overrated?

Tell me this, what has Gerrard ever done at International level? Nothing. In England he's heralded as "the best CM in the world" - this is so stupid I don't even know where to begin. He's not the best CM in the world, there are many better. He is good, don't get me wrong, but he is vastly overrated. He hits the ball well, is a very good finisher for a midfielder but is weak defensively, his passing is too sporadic and his aerial ability is non-existent.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
In England they have the tendency to overreact when it comes to football. Of course Gerrard judging by ability is not the best midfielder in the world. Never was and never will be. I wouldn`t count him as the best def. midfielder either.

But BdO is not awarded to the most skilled played. They just vote for the player with the best performances in a somewhat limited amount of time. Gerrard being the leader of liverpool and having to ability to score a lot will certainly make him a valid option as a DbO nominee if his team (God forbid) wins the premiership and the CL.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 11:51:14 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
In England they have the tendency to overreact when it comes to football. Of course Gerrard judging by ability is not the best midfielder in the world. Never was and never will be. I wouldn`t count him as the best def. midfielder either.

But BdO is not awarded to the most skilled played. They just vote for the player with the best performances in a somewhat limited amount of time. Gerrard being the leader of liverpool and having to ability to score a lot will certainly make him a valid option as a DbO nominee if his team (God forbid) wins the premiership and the CL.

Fair point, and I agree (see Cannavaro, Fabio). However, Fernando Torres is Liverpool's most prolific player. Injuries would keep him from any award, but last year he was their one true world class player - their trophy, if you will.

I don't see Liverpool winning anything anyway, effectively rendering this debate meaningless. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.