Author Topic: Cristiano Ronaldo scoops Ballon d'Or  (Read 12222 times)

Cristiano Ronaldo scoops Ballon d'Or
« on: December 02, 2008, 07:00:31 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Link

A while back (February time) I started a thread saying that Cristiano Ronaldo was having a legendary "season for the ages" and that it was on par with the greatest individual sporting seasons we've ever seen. People disagreed, and it was a bit premature considering there were 3 months of the season left. Well, revisiting the situation, he went on to score 42 goals in 48 games from midfield in addition to winning the Premier league and the Champions League. A perfect individual season as well as a sublime team effort which separates it from the rest.

Today he was presented with the Ballon d'Or, a prodigious feat which signifies his dominance. Obviously, I'm a Man United fan, but fans of the game will surely appreciate how good this guy is.

42 in 48 whilst leading his team to the League and Champions League double makes it a season for the ages. He was recently called the Michael Jordan of football, while I disagree with this statement, last season was certainly as dominant as Jordan was, and if he continues then maybe that statement will ring true.

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo scoops Ballon d'Or
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:51:48 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Predictable and very well deserved. He was outstanding in the first 5 months. Underwhelming for the rest of the year, but his last season was, as you put it, "for the ages". I'll be very surprised if next week he doesn't win the FIFA Player of the Year award as well. I'd still pick Kaka and Messi ahead of him if I was building a team now though. 

In a sense, I like the Michael Jordan comparison. Not as in Ronaldo being the greatest of all times, he's not as good as Pelé and Maradona were and he'll never be. But as an unique, and somewhat unprecedented, combination of high levels of athleticism, flair, technique, scoring ability, mental toughness and attitude, it makes sense.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 02:13:19 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Predictable and very well deserved. He was outstanding in the first 5 months. Underwhelming for the rest of the year, but his last season was, as you put it, "for the ages". I'll be very surprised if next week he doesn't win the FIFA Player of the Year award as well. I'd still pick Kaka and Messi ahead of him if I was building a team now though. 

In a sense, I like the Michael Jordan comparison. Not as in Ronaldo being the greatest of all times, he's not as good as Pelé and Maradona were and he'll never be. But as an unique, and somewhat unprecedented, combination of high levels of athleticism, flair, technique, scoring ability, mental toughness and attitude, it makes sense.

True, he wont be better than Maradona but the rest all seems to fit. Hopefully he scoops the FIFA World Player of the Year award too and then it will be the perfect season. Although, the Ballon d'Or is the big one.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:09:48 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 05:57:20 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
TP ACF, thoroughly deserved award for Cristiano. Truly magical season concluding in the biggest individual and club awards possible. Well done Ron.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:21:44 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I hope he can keep his head down and keep working so we ll see more seasons like the previous one

What about the next Golden ball ? Although it`s too early I can`t see anyone but Messi.

BTW Has anyone seen Gourcuff`s goal ?

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 09:25:16 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

What about the next Golden ball ? Although it`s too early I can`t see anyone but Messi.

Right now it's got to be Messi's to lose. But if United will everything again and Ronaldo scores 25-30+ I say it's his to lose.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Another MU treble  ??? ??? ??? LOVE IT :D

But i can`t see both conditions happening. I can`t remember the last time a team won CL two times in a row (i think it`s in the pre CL era) and CR so far has stepped down a little. But it would be unreal to continue in the same pace.

I`d like to see Ribery holding to trophy ....

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Another MU treble  ??? ??? ??? LOVE IT :D

But i can`t see both conditions happening. I can`t remember the last time a team won CL two times in a row (i think it`s in the pre CL era) and CR so far has stepped down a little. But it would be unreal to continue in the same pace.

I`d like to see Ribery holding to trophy ....

Not since AC Milan did it in 1989-90 has a team retained the European Cup. I think it's definitely possible, but I think Inter are the main threat along with Barca. The Inter game is going to be huge.

I think Ronaldo has been fantastic this year out wide, he's not scored the goals as he did last year but his all round play has been much the same.

I think Ribery has the ability to do so. Not this year as he's missed too much time through injury, but next year maybe. I think it's silly that in recent years a team must win/get to the final of the European Cup to stand a chance. I think that's the only thing that may hinder him.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 06:42:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Well deserved accomplishment

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 04:39:07 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I think it's silly that in recent years a team must win/get to the final of the European Cup to stand a chance

On the other hand you can`t bypass a player that led his team the CL trophy. Unless there is another player with a Christiano-kind of season (not very possible imho)

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 08:41:40 AM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11

Right now it's got to be Messi's to lose. But if United will everything again and Ronaldo scores 25-30+ I say it's his to lose.

... Maybe Steve Gerrard, if Liverpool wins the league and the team goes far in Europe. He does not get enough credit for how much he affects Liverpool's play and how good he is.

The Ballon D'Or, as well as the FIFA World Player, are flawed in that they just take into consideration club performances until May, which is a pitty - with the exception of the World Cup, where the winning team's best player always wins the Ballon d'Or, no matter how his club(s) performed: See Cannavaro in 2006 -, and that just about strikers or number "10"s win it.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 02:56:34 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
U r right about Gerrard. Although i hate his team :D i have the greatest respect for him. But he won`t win the Premiership (i don`t think that there are any objections  LOL ) not the CL

The Ballon D'Or, as well as the FIFA World Player, are flawed in that they just take into consideration club performances until May, which is a pitty

Exactly !!!

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 03:10:42 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Are we talking about the same player
that teamed up with friends to assault
a disc jockey at a Southport night club,
because the DJ was playing the "wrong music"?

::)

I respect Gerrard on the pitch. That's it.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 06:06:38 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
You have a point there (BTW when is the trial? ) but the BdO doesn`t go to the nicest guy.

By saying

i have the greatest respect for him.

i`m talking about Gerrard as a player. His life off the pitch is important since he is considered a model for the kids but 1 a little off topic regarding BdO or FIFA player of the year