Author Topic: Hall of Famer Ray Allen  (Read 7064 times)

Hall of Famer Ray Allen
« on: December 01, 2008, 09:07:03 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
I am so glad we are seeing the Hall of Famer Ray Allen this season.  I never felt like we saw more than glimpses of the guy who has the Hall of Fame career last year.  Mind you, a couple of those glimpses came in the NBA Finals,  but I we really didn't see the "great" Ray Allen...Sugar Ray...the sweet stroke, and the gliding reverses, and the general effortless grace which we all have just come to identify with him over his career.

It is a real treat to see Ray playing at his best - for the Celtics.
Yup

Re: Hall of Famer Ray Allen
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:10:10 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
I absolutely agree. Ray is one of a very select few athletes I've ever had the pleasure of seeing that make their respective game look so graceful and easy when they're on their game. In fact, there are very few others that even come to mind.

Moss- '07
Manny's bat- most of career
Allen

Any others? Pedro competed for everything he did.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I am so glad we are seeing the Hall of Famer Ray Allen this season.  I never felt like we saw more than glimpses of the guy who has the Hall of Fame career last year.  Mind you, a couple of those glimpses came in the NBA Finals,  but I we really didn't see the "great" Ray Allen...Sugar Ray...the sweet stroke, and the gliding reverses, and the general effortless grace which we all have just come to identify with him over his career.

It is a real treat to see Ray playing at his best - for the Celtics.

I totally agree. I was thinking the same while watching the first quarter of the game. Last year it was more like the BIG 2.5, with the exception of the finals. Glad to see him find his place in the offense.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:40:58 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Watch Ray Allen shoot well is the best thing. His stroke is so smooth.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 09:53:22 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Here's hoping you haven't just jinxed him. Agree though, he's been fabulous this year. Love to Ray.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Here's hoping you haven't just jinxed him. Agree though, he's been fabulous this year. Love to Ray.

Jinx?   :D 

Are we not allowed to mention it when something good is happening?
Yup

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 10:40:40 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Agreed. Love Jesus's Play this year. Those Ankle Surgery's must have affected him last year.  There really Isn't many two guards I'd rather have.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 11:05:03 PM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Ray allen  had his moments last year, he was just terrible in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs.. thus far in the season his numbers are nearly identical to last years, he's shooting a better percentage on the mid range and his 3 pt shot is at a lower %

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 11:16:28 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202

Maestro, I'm with ya, but I gave a TP to Redz for the thread, because watching Ray literally brings a smile to my face - pure admiration.   (Now, let's trade him!)
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 11:44:33 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I've been lucky to see some great athletes at the top of their game in person.  The list of my favorite things that I've seen:

1) Tiger hit a golf ball
2) Ray shoot a basketball
3) Tom Brady throw a football

When Ray is on it is some of the most beautiful basketball to watch in the world.

"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 12:12:08 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Agreed about Ray's sweet stroke.

Not only does it seem his stroke is still there, but he can play good defense.  One thing I loved about his play in the Finals though was the solid D he played on Kobe.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 07:16:44 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Ray allen  had his moments last year, he was just terrible in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs.. thus far in the season his numbers are nearly identical to last years, he's shooting a better percentage on the mid range and his 3 pt shot is at a lower %

Yep the stats are about the same, the style (and consistency) is way up though.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 07:35:36 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
There was a pool on the blog with a question: Do you think the Celtics will be as good as last season Yes/No. I answerd No, THEY WILL BE BETTER
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 08:17:40 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

Jinx?   :D 

Are we not allowed to mention it when something good is happening?

Sure we are, but if Ray comes out shooting bricks next game, I'm holding you responsible Redz.

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 08:53:50 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Ray has been amazingly efficient this year; his FG%, eFG% and TS% are on pace to be career highs.  He was actually a little better than this in February and March of last year, but thus far he's been amazing.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions