Author Topic: Marion on the block  (Read 9812 times)

Re: Marion on the block
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I see Vince Carter going to Phoenix for Boris Diaw, Raja Bell and a pick. As for Marion, I do not see him going to Cleveland unless they think they can resign him. In fact, I don't see a logical home for Marion anywhere.

You think that is enough for Carter?  The nets get a much worse player in Diaw, with almost as bad a contract (much worse when you factor in production).  Unless it is a top 5 pick or something, I don't see how that trade makes any sense.  The whole idea behind trading Carter would be to open up cap space, and hopefully build on their young core a bit, and that deal definitely doesn't help them much.

And why wouldn't teams be jumping at the chance to trade for Marion?  I suppose Miami could be asking for too much, but for a contender, Marion would be a huge pick up. 

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 05:40:13 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I see Vince Carter going to Phoenix for Boris Diaw, Raja Bell and a pick. As for Marion, I do not see him going to Cleveland unless they think they can resign him. In fact, I don't see a logical home for Marion anywhere.

You think that is enough for Carter?  The nets get a much worse player in Diaw, with almost as bad a contract (much worse when you factor in production).  Unless it is a top 5 pick or something, I don't see how that trade makes any sense.  The whole idea behind trading Carter would be to open up cap space, and hopefully build on their young core a bit, and that deal definitely doesn't help them much.

And why wouldn't teams be jumping at the chance to trade for Marion?  I suppose Miami could be asking for too much, but for a contender, Marion would be a huge pick up. 

There is zero chance they do that deal. Everything that comes out about NJ is them cutting payroll. They'll move Carter for an expiring deal and a combination of young players and picks. There's no other scenario; otherwise they'll bank on his name.

The problem isn't teams wanting to trade for Marion, the problem is that Miami, like NJ, has been adamant about not taking on salary. The problem with people's proposals is that they're saying Miami will trade him to Cleveland for Wally and Hickson and a pick or whatever, but Miami is probably going to be in the chase this year, so why would they downgrade, just to get JJ Hickson and a low-20s pick? I just don't see them trading Marion unless it's for someone they see as undervalued contractually (like I suggested before, Kaman perhaps).
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 06:23:07 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I don't think Carter has that much value. He's injury prone and whenever he doesn't like his situation he sulks.  I don't see Cleveland or Miami being interested in him, and those are the two teams with large expiring deals that might make a play. I think you will be shocked at how little the Nets get for Carter.  Look what the Grizz got for Gasol.

Phoenix needs one more player to make a run before they all get too old. That's the only team I can see that might have interest plus the pieces to get it done.

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 07:51:48 PM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I don't think Carter has that much value. He's injury prone and whenever he doesn't like his situation he sulks.  I don't see Cleveland or Miami being interested in him, and those are the two teams with large expiring deals that might make a play. I think you will be shocked at how little the Nets get for Carter.  Look what the Grizz got for Gasol.

Phoenix needs one more player to make a run before they all get too old. That's the only team I can see that might have interest plus the pieces to get it done.

I agree that NJN will get less for Carter than perhaps he's worth (beyond his name what is he worth?).  But I do not think Stefanski is anywhere near as incompetent as Wallace and therefore will not trade a dollar for thirty cents (if Wallace even got that much).  The ball is in NJN's court.  If they have a good deal take it, if not VC is off the books.