Author Topic: Marion on the block  (Read 9806 times)

Re: Marion on the block
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 02:36:52 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I can't help but be fascinated with this year's trade deadline

Vince, Marion, and others are on the block

Cleveland HAS to be a buyer if they have any hope of keeping LeBron long term

other teams could get in the bidding and get a big name guy for cheap

I just feel like there are several deals that could happen (as we've seen already with AI, Zach, and Al Harrington)

I think we'll see a busy Jan and Feb (if not Dec)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 02:40:13 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I doubt he goes to Minny or Portland -- there is little chance that those teams would be able to resign Marion after the season, so they would be giving up a lot to rent a player for a few months.  FWIW, as much as I like the Blazers, I think they are over-rated and will fall to earth shortly, and I think Marion wants to be on a championship contender, which Portland is not.

If New Orleans doesn't get its act together they're the third best team in the West, behind the Lakers and Spurs. By the way, How awesome would it be to see an Angry Timmy and Manu beat down these Lakers in the Western Finals... and then lose to us?  ;D

Speaking of New Orleans, I am surprised they aren't mentioned more as a possible destination for a guy like Carter.  They could offer something like Mike James (expiring), Rasual Butler (expires next year), Julian Wright, and maybe a pick for Carter, and it would immediately make them a much more formidable team. 

I love that deal from NJ's perspective (esp. if Harris continues his ascent and can be a ticket draw). I think Julian Wright can be a great player in the league.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
I can't help but be fascinated with this year's trade deadline

Vince, Marion, and others are on the block

Cleveland HAS to be a buyer if they have any hope of keeping LeBron long term

other teams could get in the bidding and get a big name guy for cheap

I just feel like there are several deals that could happen (as we've seen already with AI, Zach, and Al Harrington)

I think we'll see a busy Jan and Feb (if not Dec)

Agreed. Cleveland's definitely moving Wally and bringing in a better player. I think it'll be Vince -- Wally, Hickson, and a pick for Vince isn't a bad haul as things go, though I like the prospect of a guy like Wright from NO more. I think AK could be a real interesting player on a team like Cleveland, he does everything Varejao does, but way better.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 02:47:09 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
if it really is Wally for Vince, I'm happy about that since Vince is a serial loser and LeBron will be ticked ...and go to New York where he'll be in our division?  wait a minute, I'm all confused about what I should want

/not that it matters what I want
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 02:50:53 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I doubt he goes to Minny or Portland -- there is little chance that those teams would be able to resign Marion after the season, so they would be giving up a lot to rent a player for a few months.  FWIW, as much as I like the Blazers, I think they are over-rated and will fall to earth shortly, and I think Marion wants to be on a championship contender, which Portland is not.

If New Orleans doesn't get its act together they're the third best team in the West, behind the Lakers and Spurs. By the way, How awesome would it be to see an Angry Timmy and Manu beat down these Lakers in the Western Finals... and then lose to us?  ;D

Speaking of New Orleans, I am surprised they aren't mentioned more as a possible destination for a guy like Carter.  They could offer something like Mike James (expiring), Rasual Butler (expires next year), Julian Wright, and maybe a pick for Carter, and it would immediately make them a much more formidable team. 

Iw would aslo give New Jersey a FILTHY young core. Lopez, Yi, Wright, CDR and Harris. That is absurd and New Jersey's GM should get a medal just for having Vets on the downside that other GM's  overvalue.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 03:37:49 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I don't believe NJ will trade V.Carter to a team in the East.  He will be traded to the west.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 03:40:15 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
The Cavs need a dominating inside presence, not a tweener forward who wants to get the majority of shots for the team and likes to camp out at the 3 point line.  Marion demands top tier money and is not a top tier talent anymore

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 03:58:11 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Marion for Marbury?  NY would have to send sweeteners to Miami for the deal to work (David Lee is someone everyone likes to include in proposed deals)...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 04:23:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Marion for Marbury?  NY would have to send sweeteners to Miami for the deal to work (David Lee is someone everyone likes to include in proposed deals)...

I mean that trade prospect is definitely the reason Marbury hasn't been cut yet...  The Knicks are waiting to see if they can get a guy like Marion for him.  But I really can't see Miami doing that.  Why downgrade an expiring Marion contract for an expiring Marbury contract?  Especially since the Heat must realize that in the very likely scenario where the Knicks aren't able to trade Marbury... he'll be cut... and probably end up in Miami for the vet min anyways.   

If LA didn't currently look like they were on pace to break the wins record, I could see them trading Odom for Marion.

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 04:49:04 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
The Cavs need a dominating inside presence, not a tweener forward who wants to get the majority of shots for the team and likes to camp out at the 3 point line.  Marion demands top tier money and is not a top tier talent anymore

Yes, but "need" and "able to obtain" are two different things. How many dominating inside presences are available for the kind of package they can put together. Would the Clippers move Camby or Kaman (now that they have Randolph) for Wally, Hickson, and a pick? They seem like the only team Cleveland could match up with.

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 04:50:12 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
I don't believe NJ will trade V.Carter to a team in the East.  He will be traded to the west.

I totally disagree...NJ is rebuilding and won't care a bit about where he goes. By the time NJ is a contender (ambitious projection: 3 years), Vince won't be good enough to "exact revenge" on them. They'll take the best package they can get and cut their costs.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 05:46:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I agree.  And more importantly, I don't believe they will trade him to the Cavs, which would make them bigger contenders, and give them a better chance at convincing Lebron to stick around. 

I could see them trade him to a team in the East like Orlando (Turkuglu, Battie, and change), but I think East teams will have to pay a premium.

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 05:47:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I totally disagree...NJ is rebuilding and won't care a bit about where he goes. By the time NJ is a contender (ambitious projection: 3 years), Vince won't be good enough to "exact revenge" on them. They'll take the best package they can get and cut their costs.

WEll they seem like a pretty decent team right now.  If the playoffs started today they'd be a 6th seed.  Not terrible.

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 02:41:45 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard

WEll they seem like a pretty decent team right now.  If the playoffs started today they'd be a 6th seed.  Not terrible.

True, but does anyone consider them actual contenders? Even they don't, I bet. The Knicks started out fine too, but made the move to dump salary, which is the same thing NJ will do. Teams are crazy over the 2010 stuff.

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 03:47:12 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I see Vince Carter going to Phoenix for Boris Diaw, Raja Bell and a pick. As for Marion, I do not see him going to Cleveland unless they think they can resign him. In fact, I don't see a logical home for Marion anywhere.