Author Topic: Marion on the block  (Read 9765 times)

Marion on the block
« on: December 01, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10778

the article says that the Knicks, Bulls, and Kings are interested, but how is it that the Cavs are not in this?

the Heat will want to keep financial flexibility (ie. they don't want any part of Eddie Curry) and Wally's contract is expiring - if the Cavs can pair something with that contract (Pavlovic or Varajao work) would that be enough to pry Marion away?

the Cavs need a sidekick for LeBron and I think it would be worth a player or maybe a player and pick to try Marion on for size for the rest of the year

if things work out, they can resign him - if not, then they can take the cap space and make a run at someone else this offseason

the only hitch is "do the Heat want anything the Cavs have?" - they could always keep Marion till the end of year and take the cap savings themselves - but I don't see that happening

am I crazy?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2172~831~510&teams=14~14~5&te=&cash=

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=831~2419~510&teams=14~14~5&te=&cash=
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: Marion on the block
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:59:38 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Anywhere other than Cleveland and LA.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 02:01:31 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I don't understand why Miami would move Marion, who's already an expiring contract, for worse players who are also expiring contracts? Why bother? Just to help an Eastern contender?

It would only make sense to move him for a longer-term player that they believed in who is undervalued (maybe AK47, Howard, Wallace, Kaman, soemthing like that?) or if they could get draft picks or young players in addition. The Cavs don't have good picks, but maybe Miami would like JJ Hickson?
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:02:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I can't imagine the Cavs have the pieces to get a deal done for Marion. 

I don't know how Portland wouldn't be leading the charge for him though.  It seems like a deal based around Lafrentz, Outlaw, and some other young guys or picks (which they have plenty of both) would make a ton of sense for both teams.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 02:09:01 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard

I don't know how Portland wouldn't be leading the charge for him though.  It seems like a deal based around Lafrentz, Outlaw, and some other young guys or picks (which they have plenty of both) would make a ton of sense for both teams.

Portland's a good thought. What about Minnesota? As someone on here pointed out, they have four first-round picks next year. They could spare one along with a crappy contract and a young player (Jaric and Brewer, or something). They'd have to kick in a couple of players, but it's a thought.

I still think Miami's better off just holding onto him, unless, as I mentioned above, they believe in one of those guys with a longer term deal and the guy's team wants to unload the contract. But Riley has been very public about not adding payroll, which is why I doubt he'll be moved.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 02:13:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Portland's a good thought. What about Minnesota? As someone on here pointed out, they have four first-round picks next year. They could spare one along with a crappy contract and a young player (Jaric and Brewer, or something). They'd have to kick in a couple of players, but it's a thought.

I still think Miami's better off just holding onto him, unless, as I mentioned above, they believe in one of those guys with a longer term deal and the guy's team wants to unload the contract. But Riley has been very public about not adding payroll, which is why I doubt he'll be moved.

If I had any idea where Minnesota was headed, I might agree (a deal of Mike Miller, Jason Collins, and a Draft pick for Marion makes some sense), unfortunately, I just don't see them going in that direction.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 02:16:16 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
wow, does Minn. really have 4 first rounders next year?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 02:17:03 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard

If I had any idea where Minnesota was headed, I might agree (a deal of Mike Miller, Jason Collins, and a Draft pick for Marion makes some sense), unfortunately, I just don't see them going in that direction.

My thinking was that they hold onto Miller. Foye/Jefferson/Marion/Miller starts to look like a pretty competent team. Good role players in Smith and Gomes. Some strong first round picks this year...all of a sudden you're looking at a Portland-like roster in terms of assets (probably not to the same degree, unless Hoiberg is a Pritchard clone).

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 02:17:45 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I don't understand why Miami would move Marion, who's already an expiring contract, for worse players who are also expiring contracts? Why bother? Just to help an Eastern contender?

It would only make sense to move him for a longer-term player that they believed in who is undervalued (maybe AK47, Howard, Wallace, Kaman, soemthing like that?) or if they could get draft picks or young players in addition. The Cavs don't have good picks, but maybe Miami would like JJ Hickson?

I don't think Utah moves AK now that he's playing well. But if they get Kaman, I'm Officially worried about Miami. DWade with Weapons is not a good thing.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 02:18:40 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I doubt Marion gets moved until the trade deadline, if he gets moved at all.  it will all depend on how the Heat are doing.  If they are sub .500 and Dwade is injured, no doubt Marion will be moved, and probably to a contender (like the Cavs) for an expiring contract and some goodies -- JJ Hickson was a good suggestion.  Another possibility would be LA which could part with Odom + goodies.

I doubt he goes to Minny or Portland -- there is little chance that those teams would be able to resign Marion after the season, so they would be giving up a lot to rent a player for a few months.  FWIW, as much as I like the Blazers, I think they are over-rated and will fall to earth shortly, and I think Marion wants to be on a championship contender, which Portland is not.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 02:19:37 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard

Jeff, here's the NBADraft.net mock 2009 draft. They have Minny at 5, 17, 26, and 29 (for now).

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 02:19:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Its possible, although not likely.

They have their own if it is in the top 10, otherwise send it to the Clippers.

They recieve Miami's as long as it is NOT in the top 10.

They recieve Boston's.

They recieve Utah's if it is lower than 22.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard

Jeff, here's the NBADraft.net mock 2009 draft. They have Minny at 5, 17, 26, and 29 (for now).

Meant to put in the link...

http://www.nbadraft.net/mocks/2009_nba_mock_draft.html

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 02:23:58 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I doubt he goes to Minny or Portland -- there is little chance that those teams would be able to resign Marion after the season, so they would be giving up a lot to rent a player for a few months.  FWIW, as much as I like the Blazers, I think they are over-rated and will fall to earth shortly, and I think Marion wants to be on a championship contender, which Portland is not.

If New Orleans doesn't get its act together they're the third best team in the West, behind the Lakers and Spurs. By the way, How awesome would it be to see an Angry Timmy and Manu beat down these Lakers in the Western Finals... and then lose to us?  ;D

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

If New Orleans doesn't get its act together they're the third best team in the West, behind the Lakers and Spurs. By the way, How awesome would it be to see an Angry Timmy and Manu beat down these Lakers in the Western Finals... and then lose to us?  ;D

Speaking of New Orleans, I am surprised they aren't mentioned more as a possible destination for a guy like Carter.  They could offer something like Mike James (expiring), Rasual Butler (expires next year), Julian Wright, and maybe a pick for Carter, and it would immediately make them a much more formidable team.