Author Topic: Rank the PGs in the East and in the entire league  (Read 13139 times)

Re: Rank the PGs in the East and in the entire league
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 02:26:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The lack of blatant homerism in this thread confuses and perplexes me.  What has caused such universal rationality?  Is this all in response to Devin Harris going off for 47?  What is happening here?  Where am I?  What have you done with Celticsblog?

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 02:26:44 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Top 5 PGs to build around:

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Derrick Rose
4 - Ricky Rubio - He is that good.
5 - Devin Harris

*Not on current form, obviously.

This is the list I have any qualms about. You call Tony Parker, rightly so, severely underrated. And you put Harris as a better PG to build around than Parker. I think i take the Mid-20's scoring PG who has a finals MVP over Harris. I think the most underrated thing about Parker is his youth. ;D

I don't really have a problem leaving Parker off that list because I believe that those players would be better to build around as the centrepiece for a team. If anything, because Rubio has yet to play an NBA game I may remove him and place Parker at 5. But it's win/win really.

I hear you. I just think that Harris and Parker are similar skill wise. The only real difference between them is that Parker has proved that he's a winner in the playoffs where as with Harris we don't really know yet. And for me, that makes Parker a better player to build around.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris

This is the list I have any qualms about. You call Tony Parker, rightly so, severely underrated. And you put Harris as a better PG to build around than Parker. I think i take the Mid-20's scoring PG who has a finals MVP over Harris. I think the most underrated thing about Parker is his youth. ;D

I don't really have a problem leaving Parker off that list because I believe that those players would be better to build around as the centrepiece for a team. If anything, because Rubio has yet to play an NBA game I may remove him and place Parker at 5. But it's win/win really.

I hear you. I just think that Harris and Parker are similar skill wise. The only real difference between them is that Parker has proved that he's a winner in the playoffs where as with Harris we don't really know yet. And for me, that makes Parker a better player to build around.

Parker is a winner, yes, but so is Rondo. And I wouldn't build around Rondo before Harris (or Parker). You could argue that Parker is a former Finals MVP, but then I'll just say that Tim Duncan was robbed. Him not winning that MVP was ridiculous and is a whole other debate.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 02:30:56 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
not sure i'd have rose quite so high yet.  Maybe next year... If the playoffs started today for the C's, I'd rather have a few of them on the list including Rondo.
I'd also have parker a little higher.  And TP for celticmaestro for not having Bibby on his lists.  I don't think he's very good at this point.

Just curious why you wouldn't have him so high yet?  Just because he is a rookie?  His team isn't great?

He is putting up 19 points, 6 assists and 4 rebounds per game...and doing it in an efficient way (49% shooting from the field, 37% from 3, and a 2.3 assist to turnover ratio).

Good question, chris... maybe because he hasn't played in meaningful games yet.  The celts won a championship with rondo as their point guard and he was very inconsistent.  Ok put him ahead of Rondo but I still would rather have Billups or Parker as of right now.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 02:34:23 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris

Parker is a winner, yes, but so is Rondo. And I wouldn't build around Rondo before Harris (or Parker). You could argue that Parker is a former Finals MVP, but then I'll just say that Tim Duncan was robbed. Him not winning that MVP was ridiculous and is a whole other debate.

Right, and if I thought that Rondo and Parker were equals I would agree that that analogy worked. I really don't think we know how good Rondo is, and we won't until the big three get older or retire/move on.

But back to the topic at hand. I think Harris and Parker are equals in natural skill but if I had to chose between them in say, a Celtics blog draft, Parker's winning would put him over the top of Harris for me.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 02:35:48 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris

Agreed.  Parker's numbers would be better than Harris' if he was on the Nets.  And its very easy to forget how young he still is.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Top PGs in the East:

1. Derrick Rose
2. Devin Harris
3. Jose Calderon
4. Rajon Rondo
5. TJ Ford

Honorable mention - Gilbert Arenas.*

Top PGs in the league:

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Steve Nash - In the games that matter, I will say "I told you so."
4 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris
6 - Tony Parker - Universally underrated and overlooked.
7 - Chauncey Billups
8 - Jose Calderon
9 - Jason Kidd
10 - Rajon Rondo

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris

Rank all the point guards.  Right now you have:  

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Steve Nash
4 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris
6 - Tony Parker
7 - Chauncey Billups
8 - Jose Calderon
9 - Jason Kidd
10 - Rajon Rondo

I'm curious where you put the following players:   TJ Ford, Ramon Sessions, Baron Davis, Nate Robinson, Raymond Felton, Chris Duhon, Mike Bibby, Jameer Nelson and Andre Miller.   They all are statistically more or less on Rondo's level this year.  Is Mo Williams also considered a PG?  How about Beno Udrih?  Am i leaving anyone else out?  Also... does anyone still consider Mike Conley a prime candidate for the future?

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 02:41:27 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Top PGs in the East:

1. Derrick Rose
2. Devin Harris
3. Jose Calderon
4. Rajon Rondo
5. TJ Ford

Top PGs in the league:

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
4 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris
7 - Chauncey Billups
8 - Jose Calderon
9 - Jason Kidd
10 - Rajon Rondo

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Steve Nash
4 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris
6 - Tony Parker
7 - Chauncey Billups
8 - Jose Calderon
9 - Jason Kidd
10 - Rajon Rondo

I'm curious where you put the following players:   TJ Ford, Ramon Sessions, Baron Davis, Nate Robinson, Raymond Felton, Chris Duhon, Mike Bibby, Jameer Nelson and Andre Miller.   They all are statistically more or less on Rondo's level this year.  Is Mo Williams also considered a PG?  How about Beno Udrih?  Am i leaving anyone else out?
Out of the left-out players, maybe miller belongs in the 8-10 range.  And Baron Davis is a tough one.  When he's focused and unselfish and in shape he's top 5.  But he's so unpredictable from year to year and game to game.  You never know if he's in the mood to jack up 23 jump shots and hit 5 of them.  If this guy had a different brain type he would be one of the greats.

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 02:42:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
also I kinda feel like Calderon should be higher. 

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 02:43:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Out of the left-out players, maybe miller belongs in the 8-10 range.  And Baron Davis is a tough one.  When he's focused and unselfish and in shape he's top 5.  But he's so unpredictable from year to year and game to game.  You never know if he's in the mood to jack up 23 jump shots and hit 5 of them.  If this guy had a different brain type he would be one of the greats.

Would people outside of Boston actually suggest that Rondo is better than Baron Davis?  Man are we going to get stuck giving Rondo a max contract?

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 02:46:45 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Top PGs in the East:

1. Derrick Rose
2. Devin Harris
3. Jose Calderon
4. Rajon Rondo
5. TJ Ford

Top PGs in the league:

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
4 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris
7 - Chauncey Billups
8 - Jose Calderon
9 - Jason Kidd
10 - Rajon Rondo

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Steve Nash
4 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris
6 - Tony Parker
7 - Chauncey Billups
8 - Jose Calderon
9 - Jason Kidd
10 - Rajon Rondo

I'm curious where you put the following players:   TJ Ford, Ramon Sessions, Baron Davis, Nate Robinson, Raymond Felton, Chris Duhon, Mike Bibby, Jameer Nelson and Andre Miller.   They all are statistically more or less on Rondo's level this year.  Is Mo Williams also considered a PG?  How about Beno Udrih?  Am i leaving anyone else out?  Also... does anyone still consider Mike Conley a prime candidate for the future?

TJ Ford and Baron Davis are too injury prone, but hugely talented nonetheless. Injuries aside, they're ahead of Rondo and others on that list. But you can't ignore the injuries.

Ramon Sessions is good, but I want to see more of him since he's only played around 30 NBA games and started just 11 (he's certainly no Derrick Rose).

Nate Robinson is a little punk who I genuinely don't rate that highly, unlike Chris Duhon who I do rate highly, but not higher than the aforementioned players.

Mike Bibby and Andre Miller are past it and Raymond Felton and Jameer Nelson have yet to make the jump they've been expected to make.

I really like Beno Udrih and think he could become a very, very good player. But he's on a bad team and hasn't been consistent enough to garner that much attention.

Mo Williams is overrated, shoot-first PG's don't go down well in my book. Neither do combo-guards really (however, I do think Monta Ellis is outstanding).

As for Mike Conley, I still think he has great potential in the right system for him. I really hope the Blazers pull the trigger on that deal.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Would people outside of Boston actually suggest that Rondo is better than Baron Davis?  Man are we going to get stuck giving Rondo a max contract?

Fortunately Mr. Ainge will give due diligence to Rondo's contract and no amount of Tommy Points will sway his opinion.
Yup

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 02:47:28 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Gary Payton. ;)

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 02:50:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Top PGs in the East:

1. Derrick Rose
2. Devin Harris
3. Jose Calderon
4. Rajon Rondo
5. TJ Ford

Top PGs in the league:

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
4 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris
7 - Chauncey Billups
8 - Jose Calderon
9 - Jason Kidd
10 - Rajon Rondo

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris

Rank all the point guards.  Right now you have: 

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Steve Nash
4 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris
6 - Tony Parker
7 - Chauncey Billups
8 - Jose Calderon
9 - Jason Kidd
10 - Rajon Rondo

I'm curious where you put the following players:   TJ Ford, Ramon Sessions, Baron Davis, Nate Robinson, Raymond Felton, Chris Duhon, Mike Bibby, Jameer Nelson and Andre Miller.   They all are statistically more or less on Rondo's level this year.  Is Mo Williams also considered a PG?  How about Beno Udrih?  Am i leaving anyone else out?  Also... does anyone still consider Mike Conley a prime candidate for the future?

Rondo's better than Calderon and, at this point, probably Nash and Kidd.

This might need to be it's own thread, but where does KG rank as a pf if you completely disregard defense? Top 10? Top 15? Same comcept.

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 02:51:29 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I suggest baron realy isn't a PG, but a very good SG.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion