Author Topic: Marbury Lashing Out at Teammates and D'Antoni  (Read 5581 times)

Marbury Lashing Out at Teammates and D'Antoni
« on: December 01, 2008, 12:45:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
... How is there not a thread about Marbury on here?  I'm kinda shocked.  I figured someone would have started one by now.

First yesterday's comments:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3736322
With his career in New York expected to be over, point guard Stephon Marbury lashed out at his teammates and coach Mike D'Antoni on Sunday.

"When things got bad and then worse, guys like Quentin Richardson say, 'I don't consider him a teammate. He let his teammates out to dry.' He didn't care I was his teammate when I was banished," Marbury said. "They left me out for dead. It's like we're in a foxhole and I'm facing the other way. If I got shot in the head, at least you want to get shot by the enemy. I got shot in the head by my own guys in my foxhole. And they didn't even give me an honorable death."

President Donnie Walsh, who is scheduled to meet with Marbury about a possible solution on Monday, suspended the point guard for Saturday's game against Golden State because the Knicks said he refused to play Wednesday night in a loss at Detroit.

"Mike had no intentions of me playing basketball here," Marbury added. "He gave me straight disrespect. It was beyond disrespect. He put in [Danilo] Gallinari, whose back is messed up and [who] didn't participate at all in training camp ahead of me [in the season opener]. ... That's saying, 'I'm letting you have it right now.' He was sticking it to me."

I was curious what people thought about this situation.  I was sure that I was going to see a thread on here with a bunch of people bashing Marbury and what an unprofessional clown he is.  And then I was going to chime in and say that in this case... I sorta agree with Marbury.

The Knicks are totally mishandling this situation. I really don't blame Marbury.  The guy goes to training camp, supposedly shows up in the best shape he's been in for a long time with a good attitude.  Seems to say all the right things leading up to the season and even says he is comfortable with playing off the bench.  And then for whatever reason the Knicks and D'Antoni outright refuse to play him.  They don't even suit him up.  The guy was in fine shape, arguably the most talented player on the team... and they decided he had no place playing on the team.   Now don't get me wrong... I understand New York's reasoning on that.  Marbury was going to be gone eventually and obviously it didn't make any sense incorporating him into a system and team that he was a sitting duck in.   I can't blame D'Antoni for not wanting to play Marbury.

But now they make a trade and tell Marbury he should play?  If I were Marbury I'd refuse also.  I'd tell them to go bite themselves and probably act the same way Marbury is.  I'd say, "oh so I don't fit into your plans and can't play for your team... I'm supposed to sit out this season even though I'm arguably the best player... I see...  but now I'm supposed to suit up because you lack bodies?  Nah..."   

I officially give Marbury a pass on his behavior.  He has been disrespected by that organization this year.   They should have cut him by now if he had no place on that team, but the Knicks are instead "holding him out" in hopes that he'll accept a buyout and take less money.  It's ridiculous.  The Knicks could have cut him day 1, but instead they play games with him by sitting him on a bench in hopes that he'll lose patience and save the team some money.  And now they fine him for his "insubordination".  For god sakes just cut the guy.

Btw... I'm not a fan of Marbury.  I think he's a total idiot.  I wouldn't want him on the Celtics.   But in this situation I think he has a point.

Re: Marbury Lashing Out at Teammates and D'Antoni
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 12:53:31 PM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I'm with you Lar, the whole situation has been handled poorly. You can't bench a guy to make a statement and then ask him to play when it is only convenient for you. Marbury isn't being selfish, the organization is. Its not often I agree with Marbury but he has every right to feel the way he does. He probably shouldn't be lashing out at his teammates because it is somewhat unfair, but his comments about D'Antoni all completely in line.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:58:20 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I think Marbury is wright. They got rid of him like a bad habbit(interesting choise of words hehe). They should have gave him a chance, it's a win-win situation. He would play small minutes and wouldn't complain, and he is capable of playing quallity minutes. In other case you trade him much easyer with floor time opposed to warming the bench...
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Bottom line here is money,the root of all evil sometimes...Walsh had no plans of Marbury playing from the start.D'Antoni has bad blood with Marbury from their days of the Suns,and it all was a set up on Marbury from day one.They used him to get their other guards some burn(competition in practice) in preseason,and complete the roster.They had no intentions of him playing all alone when regular season started.Marbury got played on that part of it.
 Now it is a matter of getting payed and moving on for Marbury.Why should anyone on his team have a feeling about it anyhow,esepecially when he did try to play at one point,but was refused.The team mates should play the game and stay out of it.This is about business more than playing the game right now.  

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:02:04 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
This unfortunate situation requires a divorce. If the Knicks have to write a 12 million dollar severence check to make Marbury go away, so be it.

As far as Marbury is concerned, I hope never gets an NBA offer ever again. He is a LOSER.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 01:03:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I'm with you Lar, the whole situation has been handled poorly. You can't bench a guy to make a statement and then ask him to play when it is only convenient for you. Marbury isn't being selfish, the organization is. Its not often I agree with Marbury but he has every right to feel the way he does. He probably shouldn't be lashing out at his teammates because it is somewhat unfair, but his comments about D'Antoni all completely in line.

I sorta give him a pass for his comments about Q Rich too.  A few days ago Q-Rich said this:

Quentin Richardson has been playing through injury because New York is down to the bare minimum of players, and he is furious with Marbury's actions.

"The way the situation is, I don't consider him my teammate," Richardson said. "He hasn't played with us all year. He doesn't want to play with us. This is the second time. I don't look at him as a teammate. Teammates don't do that, regardless what's going on with the coach. You don't do that to teammates. We were basically left out there."
Marbury was just responding to those comments by basically saying, "Well you didn't seem to care when I had been disrespected by this organization for the last two months".

I really can't blame Marbury.  The Knicks figured they could just sit him out every game despite the fact that he WAS willing and capable of playing.  There is only two reasons the Knicks would do this...
#1 - They were waiting to see if any team would offer them some real talent for Marbury's 20+ mil expiring contract (obviously any players they traded for would have to expire by 2010, but they were still trying to keep their options open as long as possible)

and #2 - They were hoping that Marbury would go stircrazy and accept a buyout... essentially taking less money from the Knicks and saving them some petty cash.

Surprisingly Marbury kept his mouth shut and sat out every game without much of a peep.  He wasn't being a distraction.  But then suddenly the Knicks are low on bodies and want the guy to play.  Really can't blame Marbury for refusing.  And you really can't blame Marbury for finally opening his mouth after the media has been bashing him for the last couple days, he gets fined a half million from the team and Q-Rich calls him out like that. 

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 01:04:33 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
That the Knicks have butchered this situation is not in doubt.

But as far as all the disrespecting of Steph and the "make a trade and then expect him to play" business is concerned, the man is paid $21.9 million to be prepared to play when the team asks him to do so.  The issue of playing time is not democratic.  His role decreased when the team had a certain personnel group and then could have increased when that group changed.  It happens.  The Knicks screwed up by "asking" him to play rather than "telling" him to do so, for sure.  But I've got no sympathy.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 01:11:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

But as far as all the disrespecting of Steph and the "make a trade and then expect him to play" business is concerned, the man is paid $21.9 million to be prepared to play when the team asks him to do so.  The issue of playing time is not democratic.  His role decreased when the team had a certain personnel group and then could have increased when that group changed.  It happens.  The Knicks screwed up by "asking" him to play rather than "telling" him to do so, for sure.  But I've got no sympathy.

-sw

I can't argue with that point, Steve.   Marbury does get paid an absurd amount of money to bend over for the Knicks when they see fit.   They pay him that money and can treat him however they want.  If they want to pay him to sit in street clothing, they can.  If they want to play games with him and beat him around, they can.   And they fined him a half million for sitting out the most recent game. 

But I'm just saying that I really can't blame Marbury for feeling disrespected and not wanting to suit up for a team that clearly wants no part in him.  They need to cut him or trade him.   

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 01:59:12 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

-sw

I can't argue with that point, Steve.   Marbury does get paid an absurd amount of money to bend over for the Knicks when they see fit.   They pay him that money and can treat him however they want.  If they want to pay him to sit in street clothing, they can.  If they want to play games with him and beat him around, they can.   And they fined him a half million for sitting out the most recent game. 

But I'm just saying that I really can't blame Marbury for feeling disrespected and not wanting to suit up for a team that clearly wants no part in him.  They need to cut him or trade him.   

I find it hard to sympathize with Marbury because of his history.  I agree the Knicks haven't handled this correctly, but it's a difficult position.  Before this season he had already alienated most of his teammates, so they don't want him to play.  Yeah, his feelings might be hurt.  But then he needs to take that buyout and not complain.  Because he has repeatedly stated he wants all of his money and not a penny less (though recent reports are saying he'd take between 95-99%.. what a guy).  If he wants that money, then yes, he does have to do what the Knicks say.

If I was him, I would take a smaller buyout leave town and try to torch the Knicks everytime we played.  But I guess I'm less concerned with the $$.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 03:38:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
This story has been badly reported by most of NY's papers. The vast majority are only giving partial reports with the odd one giving extra details, and those details show the Knicks in poor light (Donnie Walsh effect on the media? Joe D gets that benefit in Detroit like when he fired Larry Brown)

I've seen the following two reports

In the first game (NY Times), Marbury said he didn't want to play when asked by Mike D'Antoni prior to the game. He dressed for the game and taped his ankles in preparation to play if required. He never refused to enter the game. He did everything necessary to play, he just didn't want to given the situation. Marbury said afterwards he would have played if called, and given his actions I have no trouble believing that, there is simply no reason for Marbury to tape his ankles if he's going to refuse to play.

In the second game (NY Post I think, not sure), after Marbury again said he didn't want to play, the Knicks took his jersey out of his locker and suspended him shortly after. They didn't want him on the court. They didn't want him dressed for the game. That's why he wasn't in uniform.

The Knicks have treated Marbury awfully since D'Antoni and Walsh took over.

Walsh has been a bare faced liar during this spell ... saying everyone has a fresh start and then subsequently tearing apart Marbury's Knicks career when Marbury does everything right to fit into the D'Antoni era.

You also get the feeling that D'Antoni and Walsh aren't on the same page. They mishandled the situation from the start.

Marbury is right in his actions throughout this period. The Knicks treated him like a piece of garbage and did so for no other reason than they just don't like him.

Marbury should get his full paycheck too. It's unreasonable that the Knicks are asking him to take anything less after all his work/intentions to be a part of this team. He's not Sam Cassell or some other player that's asking his team to cut him loose so he can play in a better situation. He wants to be in NY. They just don't want him, that's their problem and if they want to fix it they should pay him his full contract.

To kick him out of the club - not because he doesn't help the team and not because he isn't following whatever orders necessary to help the team - but solely because they don't like him ... and then expecting him to leave money on the table is ridiculous.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 04:05:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
This story has been badly reported by most of NY's papers. The vast majority are only giving partial reports with the odd one giving extra details, and those details show the Knicks in poor light (Donnie Walsh effect on the media? Joe D gets that benefit in Detroit like when he fired Larry Brown)

I've seen the following two reports

In the first game (NY Times), Marbury said he didn't want to play when asked by Mike D'Antoni prior to the game. He dressed for the game and taped his ankles in preparation to play if required. He never refused to enter the game. He did everything necessary to play, he just didn't want to given the situation. Marbury said afterwards he would have played if called, and given his actions I have no trouble believing that, there is simply no reason for Marbury to tape his ankles if he's going to refuse to play.

In the second game (NY Post I think, not sure), after Marbury again said he didn't want to play, the Knicks took his jersey out of his locker and suspended him shortly after. They didn't want him on the court. They didn't want him dressed for the game. That's why he wasn't in uniform.

The Knicks have treated Marbury awfully since D'Antoni and Walsh took over.

Walsh has been a bare faced liar during this spell ... saying everyone has a fresh start and then subsequently tearing apart Marbury's Knicks career when Marbury does everything right to fit into the D'Antoni era.

You also get the feeling that D'Antoni and Walsh aren't on the same page. They mishandled the situation from the start.

Marbury is right in his actions throughout this period. The Knicks treated him like a piece of garbage and did so for no other reason than they just don't like him.

Marbury should get his full paycheck too. It's unreasonable that the Knicks are asking him to take anything less after all his work/intentions to be a part of this team. He's not Sam Cassell or some other player that's asking his team to cut him loose so he can play in a better situation. He wants to be in NY. They just don't want him, that's their problem and if they want to fix it they should pay him his full contract.

To kick him out of the club - not because he doesn't help the team and not because he isn't following whatever orders necessary to help the team - but solely because they don't like him ... and then expecting him to leave money on the table is ridiculous.

Yeah I really think they are playing games with Marbury.   I guess the only reason they haven't just let him go is because you see things like "Shawn Marion on the trading block" and you gotta imagine that Walsh will do whatever he can with Marbury's expiring contract.  But the problem with that is... they obviously aren't going to take back salary that expires after the 2010 season... and it doesn't make sense for a team to trade an expiring contract for another expiring contract.  For example... the Cavs have Wally and Eric Snow expiring, but why would they trade those two for Marbury's expiring contract?  I mean the only option would be a max contract guy expiring in 2 years and a team trying to save one year of money by getting rid of him... but there are better options out there than Marbury.   

I mean what conceivable trade makes sense?   The Wizards stink, for example.  They might decide, "Lets just save some money since our team is crap".   You'd think maybe they would trade Antawn Jamison for an expiring contract, but Jamison has 4 years left on his deal.  No way do the Knicks go backwards and trade for a guy with 4 years left on his deal.  More likely the Wizards would trade Jamison to the Cavs for expiring deals.    So what would that leave the Knicks with?... Well maybe they could take a poo-poo platter of Etan Thomas, Antonio Daniels and DeShawn Stevenson.   All 3 expire in two years.  Maybe the Wizards would just dump them for a contract that expires this year (Marbury)... but again... what benefit would the Knicks have from bringing in those 3 bums for 2 years?

It just seems pointless.  Cut him.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 04:21:22 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I am not the biggest fan of Marbury, but there are some things that I think are being misinterpreted completely due to his background.  By no means is he right by some of the things, but I think it's more mutual wrongs than one right and one wrong.

I also honestly think that the reason he hasn't accepted a buyout is due to his business.  The Starbury Inc is actually a good thing (selling shoes at low cost for poor kids) and I respect him for that.  If he loses all that money, he loses the business (probably).  So if they're going to be jerking him around, he might as well as try to keep the business alive.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 04:25:21 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I think Marbury is wright.

Lorenzon?  Sharone?  Antoine?  Dorrell?  Brandon?  Julian?
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 04:29:07 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I think Marbury is wright.

Lorenzon?  Sharone?  Antoine?  Dorrell?  Brandon?  Julian?

As the saying goes: 6 Wrights don't make a Marbury
Yup

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 04:36:42 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I think the one mistake most people are making in judging this situation is assuming that because the Knicks are completely in the wrong, Marbury is completely in the right.

In defending Marbury's actions, people point out that Marbury has been a model citizen, and that in preparation for the season he got himself in top physical shape. Okay, good for him. I'm glad that for once in his life he acted like 99% of the other players in the NBA do. But does this behavior give him the right to be on the floor? Absolutely not. Is Brian Scalabrine a model citizen? Is he in shape? The Celtics didn't seem to care that he was, as they sat him until they needed an extra body when KG was suspended. Was Scal disrespected by Danny and Doc? No, because they prefered other players over Scal, and that was that. Every team has players that routinely log DNPs. Sure, you could say that Marbury belonged in the game because he was more talented than some of the other Knick members who received playing time, but didn't we also think that Leon Powe deserved minutes during the first part of his rookie year? How are the two situations different? One player has an enormous ego, and the other works hard and keeps his mouth shut, that's the difference.

I’m not naïve, I know that the Knicks screwed this one up, and that Marbury is not really to blame. I just want everyone to keep in mind that in the perfect world, the one with no double standards, Marbury would keep his mouth just like a rookie earning the minimum would.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!