Author Topic: Would you rather have Rajon Rondo or Devin Harris?  (Read 12288 times)

Re: Would you rather have Rajon Rondo or Devin Harris?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I can never see Rondo scoring 47 points, 8 rebounds, 9 assist during a game.  However, I can never see Harris performing a quadruple double.  Rondo does have the ability to post double digits steals, boards and dimes, and scoring of course.

Anyway, I think Harris is the best player.  He is the man on his team.  He has been giving a chance and he is taking advantage of it big time, which is a true sign of leadership and character on the man's part.  How many players have been in his position and blew it.  Also, his team is doing a lot better than we expected, with a decent record.

However, Harris wouldnt be posting numbers like that on a Celtics team.  Rondo is not playing for stats, but rather for the team.  His numbers flunctuate as the team plays.  Rondo is a great fit for this team (not sure better than Harris, but probably).  He doesn't need to score 47 points.  All he needs to do is push the pace, make the guards play him not because of his shooting, but because of his speed, and make their defense be scrambling around and then he can dish to an open player, or make the bucket.  Then get back on D and cause those steals TO.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
This is a tough question to answer since Harris just went off for ridiculous numbers last night.  I think that Harris is the better player overall but Rondo is the better fit for this team.  I think Rondo is the best fit for this team as far as any PG goes.  He sets the tone defensively, and thanks to Perk and KG he can use his quickness to take chances on steals.  He is perfect for this offense, as he is able to create for the Big 3.  I wouldn't want a shoot first PG running a team that has those three weapons on the court.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Harris had best hope that Stuart Tanner remains across the pond  ;)

-sw
lol good one -sw ...i think thats been his motivation so far this season,tp for that comment. :)

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 12:10:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I can never see Rondo scoring 47 points, 8 rebounds, 9 assist during a game.  However, I can never see Harris performing a quadruple double.  Rondo does have the ability to post double digits steals, boards and dimes, and scoring of course.

Anyway, I think Harris is the best player.  He is the man on his team.  He has been giving a chance and he is taking advantage of it big time, which is a true sign of leadership and character on the man's part.  How many players have been in his position and blew it.  Also, his team is doing a lot better than we expected, with a decent record.

However, Harris wouldnt be posting numbers like that on a Celtics team.  Rondo is not playing for stats, but rather for the team.  His numbers flunctuate as the team plays.  Rondo is a great fit for this team (not sure better than Harris, but probably).  He doesn't need to score 47 points.  All he needs to do is push the pace, make the guards play him not because of his shooting, but because of his speed, and make their defense be scrambling around and then he can dish to an open player, or make the bucket.  Then get back on D and cause those steals TO.

I wonder why we get this thread after Harris has a big game and not after Rondo has a 16 point 6 rebound quarter over the weekend. Put Rondo on the Nets and he wouldn't be getting 25 like Harris but he could easily be getting 15-18 a game. Put Harris on the Celts and he might get the same. Rondo's defnesive stats are also much better, but some of that is team related.

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2008, 12:17:30 PM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
  I wonder why we get this thread after Harris has a big game and not after Rondo has a 16 point 6 rebound quarter over the weekend. Put Rondo on the Nets and he wouldn't be getting 25 like Harris but he could easily be getting 15-18 a game. Put Harris on the Celts and he might get the same. Rondo's defnesive stats are also much better, but some of that is team related.

Yeah, but when Rondo plays great, we get threads about how he will be an all-star and lead our team beyond the Big 3. Of course, I wouldn't have started this thread if Harris sucked. The point is that these are two very good point guards who play different styles. Which one would you prefer on your team? Fortunately, we are winning, so the 'what ifs' don't carry a sense of regret or jealousy.

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

If Rondo scores 40 in a game, we will have plenty of "Rondo is as good as Chris Paul" threads.  Don't you worry.

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 12:28:02 PM »

Offline mjohnson

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
I stick with Rondo for the Celtics team.

For All-star 2009, I'll go for Harris over AI, Bibby, Mo Williams, Calderon. The other strong candidates would be A. Miller and Rose and I'm hoping for Rondo. I guess stats would be the criteria for that All-star game and to what I saw, Harris is the brightest star for the Nets team overshadowing Carter and Yi.

I just hope the Big 3 will get a spot for the ALl-Star team...

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 12:34:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

If Rondo scores 40 in a game, we will have plenty of "Rondo is as good as Chris Paul" threads.  Don't you worry.

Rondo could average 20 a game in December and plenty of people here would point to his 4 game slump as proof that it's all temporary and that he'll never be a star. When Al had that good season before we traded him the consensus was that he couldn't be considered one of the better bigs in the league until he played like that for a few more years to show that it wasn't a "fluke".

People talk about homers on this board (and clearly there are some) but there are just as many people who value players of any other team over our own (besides the big 3). They see players like Rondo and Perk and Powe play every game and see all of their flaws and seem to assume that players they see less of don't suffer from similar issues.

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 12:35:49 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

For All-star 2009, I'll go for Harris over AI, Bibby, Mo Williams, Calderon. The other strong candidates would be A. Miller and Rose and I'm hoping for Rondo. I guess stats would be the criteria for that All-star game and to what I saw, Harris is the brightest star for the Nets team overshadowing Carter and Yi.

come on, AI is my personal non-celtic Binky, but this is the problem with the all star game, how is he in your top 5 right now?

lets remove rondo for the homer factor, AI is way down on my EC list right now, he's not playing well nor is he helping his team win. What, other than this being a popularity contest justifies a vote for him right now over calderon, harris, willhams, or heck, even biby and T.J ford?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 12:41:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Rondo could average 20 a game in December and plenty of people here would point to his 4 game slump as proof that it's all temporary and that he'll never be a star. When Al had that good season before we traded him the consensus was that he couldn't be considered one of the better bigs in the league until he played like that for a few more years to show that it wasn't a "fluke".

People talk about homers on this board (and clearly there are some) but there are just as many people who value players of any other team over our own (besides the big 3). They see players like Rondo and Perk and Powe play every game and see all of their flaws and seem to assume that players they see less of don't suffer from similar issues.

You make it sound like it is either one or the other?  I think there are plenty of people on this board who actually weigh both sides of the argument, and make rational decisions based on that.

With that said, everyone has Binky's, and whether they are on the Celtics or not, they may be irrational when discussing them.  It doesn't mean they are a homer, or anything like that, it just means they are a fan.

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 12:42:01 PM »

Offline mjohnson

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10

come on, AI is my personal non-celtic Binky, but this is the problem with the all star game, how is he in your top 5 right now?

lets remove rondo for the homer factor, AI is way down on my EC list right now, he's not playing well nor is he helping his team win. What, other than this being a popularity contest justifies a vote for him right now over calderon, harris, willhams, or heck, even biby and T.J ford?

To clarify, AI is not on my top 5 PG for All-Star 2009.
Here's my rank:
1. Harris
2. A. Miller
3. Rose
4. Rondo
5. Stuckey

other wanna-bes overshadowed by Harris are AI, Bibby, Williams, and Calderon..

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 12:45:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

To clarify, AI is not on my top 5 PG for All-Star 2009.
Here's my rank:
1. Harris
2. A. Miller
3. Rose
4. Rondo
5. Stuckey

other wanna-bes overshadowed by Harris are AI, Bibby, Williams, and Calderon..

Really, you have Andre Miller ahead of Rose, and Stuckey ahead of Calderon?

I think this needs a new thread....

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 12:49:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

You make it sound like it is either one or the other?  I think there are plenty of people on this board who actually weigh both sides of the argument, and make rational decisions based on that.

With that said, everyone has Binky's, and whether they are on the Celtics or not, they may be irrational when discussing them.  It doesn't mean they are a homer, or anything like that, it just means they are a fan.

I didn't say that everyone falls into one category or the other, just that both extremes are equally represented.

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'm not that a fan of Devin Harris. I'll take Rondo, I prefer point guards that can create for others .... and I think Harris' numbers are inflated due to the team he's playing on.

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2008, 05:02:25 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
I was way off a few years back with my prediction that Harris would be Rookie of the Year, but he, like Josh Howard turned out to be a steal in the draft....however, as
good as Dallas has drafted, that's as bad as they have been in trading....Harris for Kidd straight up was a win for NJ, let alone getting two #1's

That being said....Harris is more dimensional than Rondo, but maybe not as influencial in the tempo of a game