Author Topic: Would you rather have Rajon Rondo or Devin Harris?  (Read 12297 times)

Re: Would you rather have Rajon Rondo or Devin Harris?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 09:17:43 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Right now, Rondo.
If I didn't think the Cs had a shot at the championship this year, Harris.
I never did understand that trade from Dallas' point of view....
I agree with you,i never could figure that one out either about Dallas.The only thing i could figure  at the time,they were splitting minutes between Harris and J. Terry.Harris was starting to play well,Terry was the starter at the time.I think it was a bad move on Cuban's part.The deal started out with D.George going to the Nets also,but it never happened.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 09:19:52 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yeh Rondo's a better fit for the C's right now because he's been here and had success here, and doesn't need to score as much as I would anticipate Harris would now feel the need to.

Harris is kickin' butt on my roto team though  ;D
Yup

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 09:50:42 AM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
These two are probably my two favorite point guards in the league. Rondo's my boy, but I think Harris is going to be a fantastic player for long time. Considering the Cs, I'd definitely rather have Rondo. Starting from scratch...I'd still rather have Rondo, but it's really close.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 09:52:40 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Harris is a very skilled offensive player.  Rondo is the perfect PG for the Celtics. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 09:52:43 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
This is a tough question.  Although he was drafted high, coming in to the NBA, it appeared that Harris had no clue.  This is probably at least partially due to Avery Johnson and the demands of the position.

I'm not positive on this, but I think Harris has improved greatly on his outside shooting.  Last year and this year he appears to have figured it out (obviously).

I think Rondo had better instincts early compared to Harris, but just a different skill set.

So I'm undecided.  I'd be happy with either, but I'll pick Rondo just because he is the perfect fit for this team.

What I'm really excited about, though, is that these guys are both in the same division.  Assuming they continue to improve and stick with their teams, this should be a great matchup for years to come.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 10:14:12 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
These players are pretty similar.  Harris is better now.  I hope Rondo follows Harris's learning curve.  He's been in the league quite a while and keeps improving.  Maybe in a couple years Rondo will be needed to score a lot, and he'll get to the line like Harris.  He has the ability now, but I don't think he'd like getting hit so often.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 10:38:12 AM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
This is a tough question.  Although he was drafted high, coming in to the NBA, it appeared that Harris had no clue.  This is probably at least partially due to Avery Johnson and the demands of the position.

I'm not positive on this, but I think Harris has improved greatly on his outside shooting.  Last year and this year he appears to have figured it out (obviously).

I think Rondo had better instincts early compared to Harris, but just a different skill set.

So I'm undecided.  I'd be happy with either, but I'll pick Rondo just because he is the perfect fit for this team.

What I'm really excited about, though, is that these guys are both in the same division.  Assuming they continue to improve and stick with their teams, this should be a great matchup for years to come.

I think you're right that his shooting has improved. Also, his shooting has more upside than Rondo's because his form is better. Some guys just aren't great shooters and no amount of practice is going to help; I think this is Rajon's case.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 10:51:08 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
These players are pretty similar.  Harris is better now.  I hope Rondo follows Harris's learning curve.  He's been in the league quite a while and keeps improving.  Maybe in a couple years Rondo will be needed to score a lot, and he'll get to the line like Harris.  He has the ability now, but I don't think he'd like getting hit so often.

Rondo doesn't like to get hit?  Strange I could have sworn he's on the floor all the time. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 10:57:39 AM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Ask this is a New Jersey Nets blog and lets see how many how bad of a sweep it is you Rondo homers

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
Ask this is a New Jersey Nets blog and lets see how many how bad of a sweep it is you Rondo homers

Ha, you're definitely right. Nationally, too, Harris would get the nod because he's better known from the Mavs teams because he played a big role on them. Rondo is forgotten nationally because of the Big Three.

Harris is certainly the more polished player right now, but I think Rondo has a "special" aspect that's just inherent in him. Higher ceiling, because of it, in my opinion. And as homers go, I'm most likely to be fair about this, as the Nets are my secondary team right now (see other thread) and I've loved Harris since his Wisconsin days.

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 11:03:29 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

thats true of any team blog, whats your point with this beyond sneaking in a homer dig to stir people up?

This is a celtics blog, of course we like celtics players.

Go over to detroit bad boys and ask this question and as stucky vs harris, same result.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:13:44 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 11:05:25 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
You say that like it's a bad thing for members of CelticsBlog to be Celtic homers

Try taking a Scalibrine vs Cardinal argument over to GrizzliesBlog...or T-WolveBlog  wherever the hell he is now

ok...bad example
Yup

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 11:17:25 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I think you're right that his shooting has improved. Also, his shooting has more upside than Rondo's because his form is better. Some guys just aren't great shooters and no amount of practice is going to help; I think this is Rajon's case.

I agree, but the fustrating as hell thing about it is watching rondo in warmups. He hits midrange jumpers one after another, When i went to the warriors game, We were bored so we started counting, he went 45-51 from inside the arc.

Thats the only thing that gives me hope that its a confidence issue more than a form issue. However, his form is to stiff, I know its probley to late in his development to stick him with a shooting coach adn change his whole jumpshot, but thats what he needs. Its not like he's not athletic enough to improve on the jumper's form, i think guys just do it one way for thier entire lives (see marion, shawn) and thus can't shoot any other way. Kinda like batting stances i guess. 
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

They would just be Harris homers though.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 11:31:30 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Harris had best hope that Stuart Tanner remains across the pond  ;)

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.