Author Topic: antoine walker as a laker?  (Read 15065 times)

antoine walker as a laker?
« on: November 30, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
 if antoine got bought out does anyone think he would have interest in hitching on with the lakers? if there's one skill he may have still it's probably passing the ball. he can't be any worse in other parts of the game as luke walton. i'm not sure how bitter if at all walker still is. with the danny is a snake stuff and boston won't win shiznit comment i would think that would be a great opportunity for him to exact some revenge. i think he'd be a good fit for them and what a storyline that would be!

Re: antoine walker as a laker?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 06:33:55 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Toine was one of the few guys you could call a true "Celtic" while the team was losing. I'm sure theres still enough Celtic pride running through his veins to keep him from ever doing such a thing.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he was bought out after the deadline if his expiring contract isn't moved. As long as he's in playing shape he could help some team make a playoff push. I'm sure Toine would like another shot at a ring and I'm willing to bet theres a few teams out there that could use his veteran presence off the bench.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 06:34:19 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I would love to see the Lakers sign him, but their management is not inept enough.

What a bizarre idea. How is he a good fit? They have Pau and Odom at PF. They have Vlad and Ariza at SF. All four of them can contribute more than Walker. They can't even find minutes for Walton.

What would Walker's role be? What is he exceptional at these days? Paul and Odom are all-star caliber talents (in 2008, not 5 years ago). Vlad is an exceptional shooter and Ariza is an exceptional defender. If they want a facilitator, they can play Walton, but Odom and Pau are such good passers, they don't need that from the SF.

I'm not sure why you compare Walker with Walton, who doesn't get minutes. At least Walton isn't on the decline. Walker is well into his. Walker is also too erratic.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 06:35:46 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Toine was one of the few guys you could call a true "Celtic" while the team was losing. I'm sure theres still enough Celtic pride running through his veins to keep him from ever doing such a thing.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he was bought out after the deadline if his expiring contract isn't moved. As long as he's in playing shape he could help some team make a playoff push. I'm sure Toine would like another shot at a ring and I'm willing to bet theres a few teams out there that could use his veteran presence off the bench.

Sadly, I don't know that the bolded part will be any guarantee with 'Toine.  Too bad - it would be nice to see him hang on a bit better than he has over the last couple of years.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 06:44:20 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I would love to see the Lakers sign him, but their management is not inept enough.

What a bizarre idea. How is he a good fit? They have Pau and Odom at PF. They have Vlad and Ariza at SF. All four of them can contribute more than Walker. They can't even find minutes for Walton.

What would Walker's role be? What is he exceptional at these days? Paul and Odom are all-star caliber talents (in 2008, not 5 years ago). Vlad is an exceptional shooter and Ariza is an exceptional defender. If they want a facilitator, they can play Walton, but Odom and Pau are such good passers, they don't need that from the SF.

I'm not sure why you compare Walker with Walton, who doesn't get minutes. At least Walton isn't on the decline. Walker is well into his. Walker is also too erratic.
guava wrench put is perfectly.  Considering that the C's may play the Lakers in the finals again, I would love for the Lakers to be stupid enough to bring in Antoine, and I would hope that Phil plays him major minutes.  The guy could barely crack a 40% fg percentage even in his prime.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 06:46:33 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
I hope Toine takes this offseason seriously and works his tail off to try to get onto a playoff teams roster. He played pretty well for Miami on their title run and I'm sure he could play a similar but lesser role on a playoff team at this point in his career. Its sad to see him wasting away the tail end of his career on teams like Memphis and Minny. Poor Antoine :(

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I hope Toine takes this offseason seriously and works his tail off to try to get onto a playoff teams roster. He played pretty well for Miami on their title run and I'm sure he could play a similar but lesser role on a playoff team at this point in his career. Its sad to see him wasting away the tail end of his career on teams like Memphis and Minny. Poor Antoine :(
If he had focus, perhaps he could hang around like Finley or Horry. I think you have to make good decisions though to stay around when the physical decline starts.

Considering how little NBA playing time he has seen in the last year, I also question how well we can evaluate what he has left in the tank, or what his conditioning is like.

I don't see his being on Memphis as sad. He will earn 9 million dollars this year, though he is no longer worth that much. Miami overpaid for him because they wanted to go all out for a title that year. He could have asked for less money if he wanted to be tradable. He could also agree to give up half his salary to get a buyout. I'm sure Memphis would agree to a buyout in a second if they could save $4 million.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I really believe that Toine's main focus is to get paid.

I am sure he still wants to win, but he is stuck on a losing team that isn't going anywhere so the best thing he can do is to collect the rest of his contract.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 08:05:24 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
It won't happen.  But I could definitely see Stephon Marbury as a Laker.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 08:10:15 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

I'd see that hurting LA so I'd be for that.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 05:24:58 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford

PLEASE let that happen. A cancer like that is just what the Lakers need. ;D

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 07:42:12 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I think you just brightened my day.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 08:30:02 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

He wouldn't hurt the Lakers nearly as much as Walker would. 

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 08:50:52 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

He wouldn't hurt the Lakers nearly as much as Walker would. 

right but why do either if your them? i mean, i hate the lakers as much as anyone, but they don't really need a prima donna PG any more than they need a overwieght PF, thier pretty stacked. they run 4 deep at PG/SG.

Farmer and sasha are more than enough depth at gaurd behind fisher and kobe.

Either or is a good move for us, they'll have to shake up thier bench to get the new waste of a bench slot playing time.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 10:02:52 AM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
if antoine got bought out does anyone think he would have interest in hitching on with the lakers? if there's one skill he may have still it's probably passing the ball. he can't be any worse in other parts of the game as luke walton. i'm not sure how bitter if at all walker still is. with the danny is a snake stuff and boston won't win shiznit comment i would think that would be a great opportunity for him to exact some revenge. i think he'd be a good fit for them and what a storyline that would be!

I'm not sure it's that great of a storyline...outside of people on this message board, how many people (nationally) care about Antoine Walker? He was washed up like five years ago and was never that big of a star in the national perspective.

He's useless, I don't see anyone caring to give him a remotely useful role.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.