Author Topic: Celtics fans(mi) and false generalizations  (Read 2857 times)

Celtics fans(mi) and false generalizations
« on: November 29, 2008, 09:59:31 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Why do people think east plays defense and west doesn't.

East: Cavs, Pistons, Celtics, Bobcats(yep)

West: Lakers(yep), Spurs, and Rockets)

I don't understand. Seems pretty even. If East played defense than why do the east have a losing record to the west.

Re: Celtics fans(mi) and false generalizations
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 10:05:26 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
last season's finals summarizes everything up.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 10:09:46 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
The infamous JR Giddens.

last season's finals summarizes everything up.

What he said.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 08:09:22 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I don't agree. The Lakers were a pretty good defensive team. Personally I think they did a bad job scheme wise with the C's but talent wise /scheme wise they usually do very well. They had the fifth best defense last year.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 08:38:02 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
... This year the east has a better record against the west...

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 08:48:04 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I don't understand. Seems pretty even. If East played defense than why do the east have a losing record to the west.

the east has a better recored then  the west.

EDIT: TP kwhit, beat me too it.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Honestly, I think you are misunderstanding the generalization (and it is not a Celtics fan generalization, it is something that is firmly implanted in the national media coverage of the NBA).  It is not that the West doesn't play defense, it is that the Western Conference is generally a more up tempo, fast paced, high-scoring game, while the East generally is known for a slower, more physical game.  With any generalization, you can pull out specific teams and say it doesn't work, but the longstanding assumption has been that on the whole, there was this difference in styles.

I don't think it is nearly as prevalent than it was in the past though.  In the last couple of years, a lot of teams in the East have been picking up the pace, while many of the top Western teams have been slowing it down.  At this point, you are just as likely to see East coast teams opening it up, and West coast teams slowing it down.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 09:18:03 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Honestly, I think you are misunderstanding the generalization (and it is not a Celtics fan generalization, it is something that is firmly implanted in the national media coverage of the NBA).  It is not that the West doesn't play defense, it is that the Western Conference is generally a more up tempo, fast paced, high-scoring game, while the East generally is known for a slower, more physical game.  With any generalization, you can pull out specific teams and say it doesn't work, but the longstanding assumption has been that on the whole, there was this difference in styles.

I don't think it is nearly as prevalent than it was in the past though.  In the last couple of years, a lot of teams in the East have been picking up the pace, while many of the top Western teams have been slowing it down.  At this point, you are just as likely to see East coast teams opening it up, and West coast teams slowing it down.

TP Chris...Right on with that. And it's not even just in the NBA.  Again, not as much as it used to be, but look at the NFL with its "West Coast Offense"  or even in the NHL the Eastern teams are more associated with being bullies and the West more finesse.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 09:46:05 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Seems about right.  Cleveland and Boston are the best defensive teams in the league by a large margin.  The Lakers still have a very suspect defense IMO which in the end will be their undoing.

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

maybe because M.D'antoni came east,lol :)...its those xwest coast coaches bringing that nondefensive styles east. :)