Author Topic: To trade or not to trade Lebron James  (Read 7525 times)

Re: To trade or not to trade Lebron James
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Portland for Aldridge and Roy
Phoenix for Stoudemire
Golden State for Ellis and Biedrins
Dallas for Howard, Terry, and picks
Memphis for Mayo and Gay

At the end of the day, no way does Cleveland trade him I don't think.

No way any of these teams do this except Dallas. There's a remote possibility that LeBron thinks that Dirk, He an Kidd can win a title together. But no other team gives away their best young players and the only reason they're good in the first place to get LeBron who will be gone the following year.

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 08:00:27 PM »

Offline LuckyIrish

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
rondo would be a top 5 point by then for sure with a much improved jumper, If Ray were Re-signed for much less they would have plenty of room to get someone big. I think they are better dealing now than getting nothing in 2010 

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 08:24:52 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
The Cavs wouldn't do any of those deals. Lebron is the best player in the league.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 12:31:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Portland for Aldridge and Roy
Phoenix for Stoudemire
Golden State for Ellis and Biedrins
Dallas for Howard, Terry, and picks
Memphis for Mayo and Gay

At the end of the day, no way does Cleveland trade him I don't think.
No way any of these teams do this except Dallas. There's a remote possibility that LeBron thinks that Dirk, He an Kidd can win a title together. But no other team gives away their best young players and the only reason they're good in the first place to get LeBron who will be gone the following year.
there is no way Cleveland does any of those trades.  Not a chance in hell.  To land Lebron the Cavs would have to get Kobe, Wade, Paul, Dwight Ho., or someone like that back at a minimum.  LBJ is best player in the league and is still incredibly young.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 12:36:56 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
If I was a Cavs fan, and they traded LeBron to Sacramento for Kevin Martin, Jason Thompson, and Mikki Moore, I would drive my car through Danny Ferry's office window.

Absolutely hilarious. Well played, TP.

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 01:21:48 PM »

Offline Mideon

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I agree the Cavs would be very unlikely to do the deals I mentioned earlier, in fact I said just that at the end of the post. My point was that if LBJ went to the Cavs next season and said "I am out the door in 2010," you don't think they would consider trading him for something like Roy/Aldridge? Or Howard, Terry, and picks? Of course, unless he specifically says he is gone, then of course they wouldn't trade him for anyone in the league, he is too good.

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
They could get aldrige and roy if they traded him this year but not next.

Cleveland will be devastated by his loss but come on roy and aldridge would be more than excellent players in return plus knowing you could build a future around them is a good thing. Lebron is a big question mark and its funny how cavs fans still believe foolishly he will stay with the team forever. (he is gone 100 percent by 2010)

Personally if i were the cavs management this is what i would do.

1)try to have talks with lebron about his future with the cavs and where he stands.

2) If he seems 100 percent disinterested in coming back, see how the cavs do against elite teams like the celts, lakers and denver this year before the trading deadline. (see if cavs have improved from last year which i doubt)

3) If cavs are over 500 against those 3 or 4 elite teams then keep lebron, if not then make a trade. (gives you a good idea how the cavs could handle them in the playoffs)

4) two teams i see that could afford to give cleveland the most are GS and LAL. GS = Ellis(will be back and gs is not too happy with him), biedrins, stephen jackson and a 1st round pick for lebron

LAL = Kaman, al thornton, eric gordon and 1st round pick for lebron, ilgauskas and 2nd round pick

Doubt portland will give up aldrige and roy even for lebron

The best thing about such a trade like this is that the cavs can just have a peace of mind and move on. It must be uncomfortable over there right now. Yeah lebron brings in merchandise sales , seats but the big question is can you win it all with the team he is surrounded with now?? If not for the next two years then instead of losing him for pretty much nothing and signing a high priced FA not as good as lebron, a trade right now should be explored

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:07:50 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 02:56:33 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
It doesn't take a genius to know that james is heading to ny(nets or knicks) when he becomes a FA. Charles comment was right but he shouldn't have said "shut up". I do feel sort of bad for the cavs because lebron is their team pretty much.

If i were paxon i would have an honest talk with lebron and try to offer a prospective max deal right now and see what his reaction looks like. Most likely he or his agent will reply with a no thank you at this time meaning see you later at 2010.

Paxon should at that point think about making a trade regardless of how hard that might be to swallow. You will get a fantantic deal if he were dealt by this year and less fantastic if he were dealt next year.

Possible trades for lebron and a small role player

To GS for Monta Ellis, Biedrins, Steven Jackson, 1st round pick

To LA clippers with big Z for Kaman, Al Thornton, Eric Gordon and 1st round pick

To Kings for Kevin Martin, Jason Thompson and Miki Moore

Cavs will prob not trade Lebron this year since they believe they have a chance to win it all(also that could prob change his mind to stay), but on the other side of the coin in the long run you might lose him for insignificant return via trade or for nothing.

First, it is not a foregone conclusion that he leaves.  Not at all.

That aside, you simply can't trade him.  I don't care if you find a trade that makes perfect basketball sense, you can't do it.  It's PR and business suicide.  You would always be known as the GM, the team, the front office, etc. that traded away Lebron. 

And people here in the good ol' state of Ohio wouldn't think the Cavaliers were nothing more than a Chevy car if not for Lebron James.  I would be willing to bet every and anything I own that Cleveland will not trade Lebron.  The only way it could happen is if he announced his intention to leave, which he won't do because it would hurt his public image.

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 03:43:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
2 years of LeBron is better than no LeBron.   The Cavs are one of only 3 teams I see as having a legit shot at winning the title.  Cavs/Lakers/Celtics.  This year it's kinda a tossup.  I think any of them can beat each other in a 7 game series.  Mid season the Cavs could turn Wally into something that can put them over the top.   Scary team.   If the Cavs win a title, it wouldn't make sense for LeBron to leave. 

And if they did trade Bron it wouldn't be until next year anyways.   Say the Thunder get the #1 pick... Jeff Green/Durant/#1 pick is a nice start, for example.  But the theory is that Bron will only play in LA or NY... so I'm not sure what's with all the Portland/Cleveland trade proposals.   Would the Blazers trade all of that to borrow James for 1 season?

The only way the Cavs trade Bron is that if at the trade deadline next year the team looks like it can't win a title and James makes it clear to them that he's leaving at the end of the year.

Even at that point... they might as well just hang onto James and try to work a sign-and-trade

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 06:55:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
"First, it is not a foregone conclusion that he leaves.  Not at all."

The only way i see Lebron staying put is if the cavs win a championship, the end. I agree with you that it is highly likely he is not going to be traded because at least they do have a shot to win.

But it is important also what he has done going to yankee games dawning yankee caps, last week and a half toying with reporters that 2010 will be a fun year and lastly telling barkley to shut up because his main interest is about himself more than anything that leaves an impression that this kid is toying with the city of cleveland.

I do get about public image etc. But honestly speaking i wouldn't bash the cavs if they did trade him because he didn't seem committed to their future anyways.

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 08:53:14 PM »

Offline Mideon

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
To play devil's advocate, isn't it possible that a Cavs' championship in the next 2 years makes it MORE likely he leaves in 2010? After all, if he went somewhere else without delivering a championship, couldn't his legacy be considered a failure on some level? On the flip side, if he wins a ring and then skips town for NYK, couldn't LBJ play the "I've accomplished all I can here in Cleveland, time for a new challenge in resurrecting this franchise in the basketball capital of the world"?

Not to say I completely disagree with the above sentiments, but just a thought.