Author Topic: LeBron James blasts Charles Barkley  (Read 10666 times)

LeBron James blasts Charles Barkley
« on: November 29, 2008, 12:58:38 PM »

Offline Dirk

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 23
CLEVELAND (AP)—LeBron James reacted strongly to Charles Barkley’s comments that the Cavaliers star isn’t showing respect for Cleveland fans and his teammates by discussing his possible free agency following the 2010 season.

“He’s stupid. That’s all I’ve got to say about that,” James said Friday night before the Cavaliers’ game against Golden State.

Interesting to say the least. Even though sometimes Charles goes over the line with some of his statements, I always listen to his thoughts carefully beacuse he says what he sees plain and simple (or just with a little spice), and he knows about the game.

Barkley made the comments on TNT’s NBA studio show and Dan Patrick’s radio show.

“If I was LeBron James, I would shut the hell up,” the Hall of Famer said on Patrick’s show. “I’m a big LeBron fan. He’s a stud. You gotta give him his props. I’m getting so annoyed he’s talking about what he’s going to do in two years. I think it’s disrespectful to the game. I think it’s disrespectful to the Cavaliers.”

In this case, I'm with Charles. I don't think he disrespected LBJ at all, just told his thoughts out loud. For LBJ to go out there and say Barkley is stupid is pretty telling. I don't like him at all.

Any thoughts about this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aktgu4SiAtvHTTqKy_aheaW8vLYF?slug=ap-lebron-barkley&prov=ap&type=lgns

the team to beat...
a force to reckon with...
just pick your poison.

Re: LeBron James blasts Charles Barkley
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 01:08:47 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
If I expressed the real "words" I have for Lebron they would throw me off this site for to many expletives....in short he's a cocky guy who needs who shrink his head a few inches. The thing with Pruitt p---ed me off, and him calling Barkley stupid and brushing him off shows alot of class too, Lebron you arent in the HOF yet bud so show respect. Btw I know this topic does resurface every now and then, and someone posted this months ago, but is it me or is Lebron a bit to "muscular" and "fast".
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 01:14:24 PM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I know i am probably in the minority on this site but i really like lebron. He was probably wrong to say that about barkley but i mean lets be honest he is dumb and he is going to get called dumb a few times in his career. Lebron is going to get asked about where he is going because he is just so good and hes also so much fun to watch in the many ways he can take over a game.
Btw I know this topic does resurface every now and then, and someone posted this months ago, but is it me or is Lebron a bit to "muscular" and "fast".
He is really big and really fast but he was always like thatif you watched him in high school he was always huge and always had that speed that didn't look like it should belong. I'm not saying that its impossible that he has ever taken anything but in his case i would say that he is innocent until proven guilty because there have never been any claims made by anyone, hes just a freak of nature.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 01:18:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
LeBron's response sounds like a child who's been spanked by a parent.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
it's odd...Lebron didn't take the opportunity to express his support of his teammates...or his desire to win in Cleveland, or his lack of interest in other teams, etc...

Bottom line is Lebron is 100% in the wrong for openly flirting with other teams...he is under contract for a while, still, and it is a major slap in the face of his teammates and fans.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 02:10:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Oh well... Cleveland should just enjoy having the best player in the NBA for as long as they can.  It's LeBron's world... we're just living in it.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 02:30:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
LeBron's response sounds like a child who's been spanked by a parent.
He's been his family's meal ticket for a long time. He's been on national television since HS. Plus he's still a young man, so this sort of behavior isn't suprising. Criticism isn't something he comes up against much. Plus he has all the power in pretty much all of his relationships.

We're spoiled to have a cohesive team in the Celtics. This isn't the norm, Lebron's behavior should highlight this for us.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 03:06:24 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Childish response by Lebron but at least he didn't call Barkley a poo poo head. ;D

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 03:57:40 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I find Barkley to be almost cartoonish in his ignorance anymore.  His stupid commentary on politics and race overshadow what was previously brilliant basketball commentary.  But he is absolutely right in his criticism here.  The messiah needs to focus on the team who writes his paycheck. 

Excellent post, fafnir.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 04:19:04 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Wait a second. Those of us who admire Barkley admire him for being outspoken and saying things that would get a lot of other people in trouble. That's fine, because a lot of those things are true, and pretty funny to boot.

So now, after being barraged with the same questions for the last several months, over and over until he probably wants to punch out every reporter who asks him about it, LeBron says one thing that wasn't perfectly tactful.

As is his right, Barkley rips him a new one. Which seems pretty hypocritical coming from someone who once SPIT on a fan, but for every three funny/true things Charles says, he says one or two stupid things. Even those of us who like him would admit that.

But the real question is this: Why can't LeBron take a swipe back at Barkley? If Barkley gets a break when he says something controversial because of who he is, why doesn't anyone else get to tell him he's being stupid sometimes?

I'm fine with allowing Charles a double standard, but it has to be fine for anyone else to use that same standard against him. I'm also guessing that LeBron doesn't hate Charles.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Lebron mishandled that too. Shoulda shut up.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I know i am probably in the minority on this site but i really like lebron. He was probably wrong to say that about barkley but i mean lets be honest he is dumb and he is going to get called dumb a few times in his career. Lebron is going to get asked about where he is going because he is just so good and hes also so much fun to watch in the many ways he can take over a game.
Btw I know this topic does resurface every now and then, and someone posted this months ago, but is it me or is Lebron a bit to "muscular" and "fast".
He is really big and really fast but he was always like thatif you watched him in high school he was always huge and always had that speed that didn't look like it should belong. I'm not saying that its impossible that he has ever taken anything but in his case i would say that he is innocent until proven guilty because there have never been any claims made by anyone, hes just a freak of nature.

Funny you mention this.  Several years ago before Lebron was even in the NBA, I used to listen to Eddie Andelman and then the Diehards on 1510thezone.  Andelman had a guest on his show that talked about how rampant steroids was, not just in the pros or college, but in high school.  I was shocked to hear that and to hear that even some parents wanted their kids to have that edge.  Several months later, I got my first glimpse of Lebron in a high school game. He was 16 I think.  The first thing that came to my mind was that this kid was on steroids.  Most that make it to the pros usually get their without an NBA body.  This kid had one even before he was eligible for college, AT 16!  Seemed fishy to me.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 06:59:52 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Wait a second. Those of us who admire Barkley admire him for being outspoken and saying things that would get a lot of other people in trouble. That's fine, because a lot of those things are true, and pretty funny to boot.

So now, after being barraged with the same questions for the last several months, over and over until he probably wants to punch out every reporter who asks him about it, LeBron says one thing that wasn't perfectly tactful.

I agree, as long as James's quote about 7/01/10 being a big day is the most "inflammatory". It was a pretty vague and harmless statement that almost everyone who follows the NBA was completely aware of to begin with. As you pointed out, this is all anyone wants to talk to him about lately. Lebron has also gone on record recently (just prior to Barkley's tirade) as saying that he's focused on leading his current team to a championship, and that he's stated over and over that he's happy in Cleveland. So what does he get? " ......shut the hell up". I think James's knee jerk response was completely understandable.

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 07:11:57 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
my nikes say "sir charles" on the bottom.... not LBJ.

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 07:38:06 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
my nikes say "sir charles" on the bottom.... not LBJ.

Careful with that though... My friend's shoes say "Starbury"
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."