Author Topic: Vin Baker returns...to play in Chinese League  (Read 6593 times)

Vin Baker returns...to play in Chinese League
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:25:52 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
 ::)

The link is in Spanish but it just comments on the fact that he will play for the Liaoning Panpan Hunters. According to the article he is expected to participate in tomorrow's game... It could be funny to get some you tube images of this though...

http://www.solobasket.com/contenidos/vin/baker/emprende/nuevo/viaje/rumbo/china/c-19941.html

Re: Vin Baker returns...to play in Chinese League
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 01:00:34 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Wow!  That is surprising.  I actually liked Vin Baker.  Not as a player (with the Celtics), but I am sympathetic about the man.  I think he was trying, but his addiction just got the best out of him.  I think it's too easy for us to say that he could just quit drinking, but when the guy is a professional basketball player in the blink of extinction and is still going down that road, I think we have to say that his addiction was pretty deep and I wish the best for him.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Ah well, it seems he couldn't make it finally:

"Vin Baker, eighth overall pick in the 1993 NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks, has been attempting a comeback with China's Liaoning Hunters, but after two days he was released due to poor conditioning. Baker's last NBA gig was with the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2006, though he never appeared in a game for the team."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10838

I actually liked the Baker of the start of his second (and final) season here. He was very talented and versatile. Unfortunately his addiction to alcohol destroyed his career..

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:05:05 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
poor vin. i wish him luck. but what sort of financial straits is he in if he feels that he has to play in a chinese league?

i have trouble believing he thought that league would be a springboard to the nba...especially if he had not prepared physically for basketball.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 09:35:03 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
gee...imagine vin being out of shape.  i'm stunned...

sorry, i have no sympathy for this guy.  he's been coddled and protected and doesn't deserve sympathy.  maybe he should start seeking ways to help recovering alcoholics by using some of that money he stole from the celtics (he doesn't have to give all of it away, but a little shouldn't hurt him).

maybe i'm in the dark on this, but i don't quite remember him showing any remorse or having a contrite attitude.  IMO he voided his contract because of his actions and drug the celtics organization through the mud.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
antoine might not be far behind ;)

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 07:57:24 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
God bless and good night!

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »

Offline ThreadCrasher

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Alcoholism...blah.  Get a real addiction.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 11:50:35 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 11:57:53 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

Antoine isn't a pathetic Drunk.

He still will contribute to another contending team off the bench at least once more before he calls it a career.

That's my belief.

Baker is a worthless bum who, despite being given a zillion chances by Boston, didn't take advantage of his shot here....and yes, Alcohol flushed his remaining career down the toilet.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 12:57:19 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Antoine isn't a pathetic Drunk.

He still will contribute to another contending team off the bench at least once more before he calls it a career.

That's my belief.

Baker is a worthless bum who, despite being given a zillion chances by Boston, didn't take advantage of his shot here....and yes, Alcohol flushed his remaining career down the toilet.

aparently, u missed the sarcastic winking icon at the end of my post (i was joking!!!)