Author Topic: Is Paul Pierce a free agent in 2010?  (Read 3565 times)

Is Paul Pierce a free agent in 2010?
« on: November 26, 2008, 09:33:59 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I was watching Sports Center and they were showing the list of free agent following the 2009-10 season and both Ray Allen and Paul Pierce were on it. I know for sure that Ray is a free agent that year, but I thought Paul had one more year on his contract after 2009-10.

On Hoopshype it say he is signed through 2010-11,making 21 mil the final year.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm

So whats the deal is it just ESPN being fools like usual or is Pierce really a free agent in 2010?

Re: Is Paul Pierce a free agent in 2010?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 09:38:38 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
paul has a players option for 2010 i think. Odds are he'll excersise it and stay with the team (its for an additional year at max anyway)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 09:52:49 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
From my perspective, Hoopshype is no longer the gold standard for determining salaries.  I definitely prefer Shamsports, found here.

There, you'll find that Pierce does have a player option.  Also, Danny signed Bill Walker to a four year (!) near minimum salary contract, with the last two years being non-guaranteed.  I have no idea what Walker's agent was thinking, but that's a hell of a deal for the Celtics.

Also, POB's deal is a minimum salary deal, with a second non-guaranteed year.  That clears up the earlier report that it was a two year, $3 million deal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:32:38 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Woah. Scalabrine is a free agent in 2010. Looks like Lebron has some competition. The Knicks would have a tough time choosing between them two.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 11:42:49 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I saw what you saw on Sportscenter. At the top it said "Potential Free Agents". Pierce has a player option for that year making him a "potential" free agent.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 11:57:52 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
From my perspective, Hoopshype is no longer the gold standard for determining salaries.  I definitely prefer Shamsports, found here.

There, you'll find that Pierce does have a player option.  Also, Danny signed Bill Walker to a four year (!) near minimum salary contract, with the last two years being non-guaranteed.  I have no idea what Walker's agent was thinking, but that's a hell of a deal for the Celtics.

Also, POB's deal is a minimum salary deal, with a second non-guaranteed year.  That clears up the earlier report that it was a two year, $3 million deal.

Other than the Pierce thing (although I think that is really just a technicality...I expect him to finish his career in Boston), that is all great news. 

I don't think I have heard of a second rounder locked up for 4 years before.  I think that really shows how Danny is committed to taking it slow with Walker, and developing him for the long term future of the team. 

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

I don't think I have heard of a second rounder locked up for 4 years before.  I think that really shows how Danny is committed to taking it slow with Walker, and developing him for the long term future of the team. 

I agree about Walker.  It's good business and good for our future. 
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 02:33:28 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Other than the Pierce thing (although I think that is really just a technicality...I expect him to finish his career in Boston), that is all great news. 

Nice move by Danny. Must be a decent salary for the forth year for Walker to agree to that. He basically ended up with a first round type contract, though the dates may be different for making decisions.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 05:21:37 AM »

Offline Binky-King

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Also, Danny signed Bill Walker to a four year (!) near minimum salary contract, with the last two years being non-guaranteed.  I have no idea what Walker's agent was thinking, but that's a hell of a deal for the Celtics.

Bill Walker did the deal himself.

Walker's deal doesn't seem that different from any other rookie contract, the last two years are always a team option.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 08:24:11 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Also, Danny signed Bill Walker to a four year (!) near minimum salary contract, with the last two years being non-guaranteed.  I have no idea what Walker's agent was thinking, but that's a hell of a deal for the Celtics.

Walker's deal doesn't seem that different from any other rookie contract, the last two years are always a team option.

Not for second round picks.  I can't think of another second rounder in the NBA who is locked up for four years at a near minimum deal.  The standard second round contract is for two years, with usually the second year being non-guaranteed.  Often if the team uses the MLE to sign a player, you'll see a three year contract, like we signed with Gomes, Pruitt, etc.

What you *don't* often see is four year deals. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 08:44:33 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Probably Walker had two options: sign that deal or find a club in Europe.

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 11:23:42 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Probably Walker had two options: sign that deal or find a club in Europe.

i dunno, there are alot of crappy teams in the NBA who would probley take a look at him post draft if he had bucked at going to europe.

Good deal for us though, low cost, low risk on a kid who could be very good. And if not, it really costs us nothing.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 09:21:37 PM »

Offline KelticFan

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 15

Not for second round picks.  I can't think of another second rounder in the NBA who is locked up for four years at a near minimum deal.  The standard second round contract is for two years, with usually the second year being non-guaranteed.  Often if the team uses the MLE to sign a player, you'll see a three year contract, like we signed with Gomes, Pruitt, etc.

What you *don't* often see is four year deals. 

This is an interesting deal, if accurate. I have not found any corroboration online associated with a source other than a salary site. I'm curious as to the source of the information.

Perhaps, the reason Walker, who was apparently serving as his own agent, agreed is that the first two years of the deal are guaranteed (if that is indeed the case).

I believe it is rare for a player picked where Walker was selected and considering he has had injury issues to get two guaranteed years. I believe Powe got one year guaranteed, with two option years.

Perhaps, Danny gave him some choices, e.g. 1+2 or 2+2, and BW chose or was persuaded to choose the latter.

BBD with an agent's help got the 1+1 and it will probably serve him well. He'll likely be on a roster somewhere making more than the minimum.

KF