Author Topic: "The Shield " Series Finale  (Read 13926 times)

Re: "The Shield " Series Finale
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 10:50:27 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The great thing about the show was that we rooted for Vic. As evil as he was, he was likable. That's great writing. The same type of stuff that made the Unforgiven a great movie.

As far as the finale, it showed 2 things. First is how mentally strong Vic was compared to Shane. The second is how much smarter Vic was than everyone else, including Ronnie. Yeah maybe Vic gets punished for three years, but then he's free. At that point, who knows? He can find his family, become a P.I., and live happily ever after.

I'll miss the show. :'(
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 11:20:37 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I thought it was a great ending to one of the best shows of all time.  You knew that Shane couldn't deal with a life in jail and his kids in foster care, so he took his life.  What I didn't expect was he taking out the whole family with him.  Lot of silence in my living room with that whole scene.  I was kinda hoping for a final Vic/Shane confrontation happen but I guess the phone conversation between was the next best thing. 

I thought Vic got just what he deserved and it was more satisfying than him dying.  He is one of the most corrupt, arrogant, and self interested human beings on the face of the earth.  He gets stripped of EVERYTHING.  Family, the job he loved, his friendships with the Strike Team, and all he is left with is a deadend job in a suit.  He has nothing.  That is fitting and will cause much more suffering than death.  Thought it was great. 

A poster hit it on the head earlier in this thread, this was all about the end of the strike team.  In the end, no one walked away unscathed.

Definitely gonna miss the show.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 12:20:24 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

The great thing about the show was that we rooted for Vic. As evil as he was, he was likable. That's great writing. The same type of stuff that made the Unforgiven a great movie.

Thank god.  I thought I was the only one that like Vic, as bad as he was.  I thought the ending was great.  While the cinematography was painfully long to show Vic shed a tear, they certainly didn't pull a sopranos. 

I was under the influence that Vic was going on the run. 

The lead blond fed told him that if Vic violates any of his conditions with the feds that he would lose all immunity.  By taking the gun and walking out the building he lost all immunity.

Personally I was hoping he would just go postal office worker style and just go out blazing right at the barn after he saw the picture of shane dead. 

I was actually sad when Shane died, I couldn't believe it, and I did know he would do the quadruple suicide.

Sad to see Ronny not even have an option, much like Lem (my favorite character :(

All in all it may have been my favorite show of all time.  After Lemanski ate a grenade I really like the season where Forrest Whitaker's character goes after Vic, some hilarious lines and situations in that season.

I was so bummed after watching this with my brother (who introduced me :) I had to listen to some Cash on my ride home because I felt like I had to pay for my sins just like the team.

Great show.

Thanks to all the writers, cast and everyone involved. 
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 12:27:09 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Thank god.  I thought I was the only one that like Vic, as bad as he was.  I thought the ending was great.  While the cinematography was painfully long to show Vic shed a tear, they certainly didn't pull a sopranos. 

I was under the influence that Vic was going on the run. 

The lead blond fed told him that if Vic violates any of his conditions with the feds that he would lose all immunity.  By taking the gun and walking out the building he lost all immunity.

Personally I was hoping he would just go postal office worker style and just go out blazing right at the barn after he saw the picture of shane dead. 

I was actually sad when Shane died, I couldn't believe it, and I did know he would do the quadruple suicide.

Sad to see Ronny not even have an option, much like Lem (my favorite character :(

All in all it may have been my favorite show of all time.  After Lemanski ate a grenade I really like the season where Forrest Whitaker's character goes after Vic, some hilarious lines and situations in that season.

I was so bummed after watching this with my brother (who introduced me :) I had to listen to some Cash on my ride home because I felt like I had to pay for my sins just like the team.

Great show.

Thanks to all the writers, cast and everyone involved. 

I don't think I ever rooted to Vic. I am not sympathetic to narcissistic sociopaths. I didn't see him as likable.

What condition did he violate by taking the gun? Office hours were over and he was going home. He only had to keep the gun locked up during office hours.

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Great last episode. The whole final season was great, especially the second to last episod.

Vic is truly detestable. I would have like to see him painfully killed, but that would have been to easy. The actual ending made sense if you buy the whole immunity thing.

The idea of making Vic feel guilty was interesting, but the guy is a sociopath and completely narcissistic. That was the point of him grabbing his gun at the end. He won't commit suicide. He won't even get depressed. He will just be angry at everyone who doesn't let him do everything he wants. He is incapable of the kind of honesty that Shane showed.

Vic was a great character. Very unlikeable, like Tony Soprano. What I liked better about Vic is that The Shield didn't bother with therapy sessions, which was essentially narration and spoon feeding.

Hopefully "Dutch" can get laid if he calls up the lawyer.

Now that I think about it, did Dutch ever get laid during the 7 seasons of the Shield?

He did, waaaaay back in Season 1 :)  He dated a woman named Kim until Season 3.

I gotta say I was blown away by the finale...it ended without completely "ending."  We don't know exactly where everyone will end up, but we know where they are headed.  In Vic's case, it looks like nowhere.  I am wondering what will become of Danny and Lee since Vic is still around, but other than that I couldn't have asked for much more from the finale.

And it's been awhile since a scene got to me like the one where Claudette reads Shane's suicide note to Vic, especially when she got to the line "I wish I'd never met him."  It's a testament to the cast of this show that the scenes that lack violence and brutality are the ones that hit hardest.  I am gonna miss this one for a long time...

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 01:53:21 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

[/quote]
I don't think I ever rooted to Vic. I am not sympathetic to narcissistic sociopaths. I didn't see him as likable.
[/quote]

Then who did you root for?  Dutch?

[/quote]
What condition did he violate by taking the gun? Office hours were over and he was going home. He only had to keep the gun locked up during office hours.
[/quote]

Maybe the gun wasn't a clear violation, but he was told to write a report which he obviously didn't do so I was under the impression that he was saying ^$#$ it and violating his conditions with the feds. 

I could be wrong, but either way he is screwed and that alone has some substance where the sopranos simply ended like a frame of film burning off the reel.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 06:54:34 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
geez. i don't know how i missed this. i've worked o.t.  in an office and the lights go out like that then they may come on /off whatever. somehow it didnt cross my mind that vic's work day was over. i thought he was doing a "screw this i'm out of here" thing which i still say is stupid(just my opinion).he drama for me was seeing these conclusions. i just think any reference to vic grabbing a gun and somehow working some magic to ecscape his current situatuion kind of ruins the rest of it. the drama for me was that he was out of options and him realizing that and there's nothing he can do about it. i would have been just as fine with any believable ending. if they have vic sitting at a desk for vice like that i'm sorry-out of options.i don't like them painting him in a corner and then hint he can get out of it with a mackey plan.just not believable. STILL the best show i've ever seen.

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 10:04:45 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Billings?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 10:56:31 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Billings?

Noone. Maybe Claudette. Rooting for Vic to get shot or arrested.

Am I going to root for someone like that just because he is the star?

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 11:37:28 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
I rooted for Vic Mackey, Al Swearengen, and Tony Soprano!!!

Larry Bird

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 11:41:32 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I rooted for Vic Mackey, Al Swearengen, and Tony Soprano!!!

I only liked Tony Soprano the first season. By the second, it was clear who he was and that there was nothing redeeming about him.

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 08:06:47 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just watched the finale. Awesome ending (which usually is very hard to do), great series. I don't think there's much to say other than that.

Vic is certainly not done. He's not down and out. He got his gun in his back, and his usual smirk on... he's up to something.

Here are two interviews with the creator which are worth reading about the finale:
http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/11/shield-boss-ans.html
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Shield-Shawn-Ryan-1000235.aspx
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:06:11 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 09:00:43 PM »

Offline jordb2k5

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Man I'd love a movie of this show but maybe it's best left untouched.  It's just hard to not see anymore of this great show one of my all time top favorites.

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 05:25:44 AM »

Offline pbak63

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
Thanks for posting those interview links.

I loved The Shield - my favourite TV show ever.

I'm just waiting for series 7 to be released on DVD.

I was slightly disappointed with the ending. I saw it that Vic had blown his immunity by not even turning the PC on, so he couldn't have written all those reports.

He just took his gun and left to.......

Still, fantastic writing, brilliant story lines, fabulous cast and crew.

I've tried to recently get into The Wire but find it difficult to understand the
drug dealers when they talk because of the 'slang'. Seems like the sound levels
aren't great as I usually have no problem understanding American accents.

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2009, 07:23:11 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i was'nt crazy about the ending at first but i've come around. i'm a sci-fi geek so while it was'nt #1 ever for me personally,i think it was the best. ronnie... it's still chilling for me ,just thinking about it. what a show.