Author Topic: What do you think the Cavs will do with Wally Szczerbiak's expiring contract?  (Read 8633 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I've wondered about this for a while.  I saw a quote in SI that sums it up again.  A lot of teams will be looking to dump lengthy contracts for expiring contracts so they can chase talent next year and in 2010.  Some teams are holding some big expiring chips.  You look at a team like the Knicks who have Marbury's expiring 20 mil contract, but the Knicks aren't a team that would be willing to take back a player with a lengthy deal (obviously)...   But a team like the Cavs are obviously in "win now mode" and Wally Szczerbiak will most likely be moved by the deadline:

What's worth noting is that a creative general manager could exploit the misguided ambitions of others. Take Cavs GM Danny Ferry, who has seemingly been given a blank check by owner Dan Gilbert to build a strong talent base around LeBron. Ferry has a big bargaining chip in the expiring contract of Wally Szczerbiak ($13 million). Could Ferry, for instance, peddle Szczerbiak to New Jersey for Vince Carter? With one or two moves, Ferry could position the Cavs for a run at the title -- and appease James at the same time.

So what do you think the Cavs will do with Wally Szczerbiak's expiring contract?  It's interesting, because I think the Cavs (other than the Lakers) are the only team that can actually beat the Celtics in a 7 game series.  They look pretty improved this year too.  Currently 10-3.  Mo Williams seems to be making an impact.  If they convert Wally into an allstar caliber player, that team could be a bit more scary.   Whose out there?  What's the options?   I don't think the Cavs have any desirable young talent or draft picks to include.  Maybe they could throw in a player like Boobie Gibson or something.  But it was sorta proven last year that you don't need much to snatch a good player from a team looking to blow it up (Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown's expiring contract)...   

What if Dallas decided to blow it up?  I can't really see them trading Dirk but what about Josh Howard?   Could the Bucks decide to dump Michael Redd?   The Wizards are terrible... could they have second thoughts on a guy like Jamison's 4 year deal?   Who are the contenders?

The economy could play a part in this too.  If a team is losing games and not making money... they might be willing to get rid of a talented player on a long term deal. 

Btw... Boston could see themselves in a situation like this next year with Ray Allen's expiring contract. 

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If the past is any indication, they will trade him for a mediocre player, just because they can.  It won't help the team too much, but it will convince the pundants who easily get bored that they are going to win it all.  My money is on Kenyon Martin or Brad Miller.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Well the "past" was Pau Gasol.  I wouldn't consider him mediocre.  But I hear you.  They could settle for some viable talent.

Would they take on Eddy Curry's terrible contract if the Knicks also included David Lee?  That would be kind of funny, actually...   The Cavs taking on a mild talent upgrade to please LeBron... while the Knicks free up more cap room to chase LeBron.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
How bout Boris Diaw and Leandro Barbosa.  Maybe the Suns will say "the heck with it" and get rid of the guys who will be making 9 mil and 7.6 mil a year until 2012...   You figure they dump those two guys (both signed for the next 4 years), Shaq expires in 2 years and Nash for 1 + team option...   maybe in 2010 they can try to lure one of the "studs" to come play with Amare for the next 10 years.

Plus Diaw and Barbosa are both looking a little overpaid right now. 

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well the "past" was Pau Gasol.  I wouldn't consider him mediocre.  But I hear you.  They could settle for some viable talent.

Would they take on Eddy Curry's terrible contract if the Knicks also included David Lee?  That would be kind of funny, actually...   The Cavs taking on a mild talent upgrade to please LeBron... while the Knicks free up more cap room to chase LeBron.

I meant past moves by Ferry, who is one of the worst GMs in the league.  All he does is make lateral moves at best.

How bout Boris Diaw and Leandro Barbosa.  Maybe the Suns will say "the heck with it" and get rid of the guys who will be making 9 mil and 7.6 mil a year until 2012...   You figure they dump those two guys (both signed for the next 4 years), Shaq expires in 2 years and Nash for 1 + team option...   maybe in 2010 they can try to lure one of the "studs" to come play with Amare for the next 10 years.

Plus Diaw and Barbosa are both looking a little overpaid right now. 

I think Diaw would absolutely be on the list of guys that could end up going to Cleveland.  I have a hard time believing they could get Barbosa though, without giving up significantly more value (which they don't have a ton of).

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Btw... Boston could see themselves in a situation like this next year with Ray Allen's expiring contract. 
The difference between Wally and Ray is that Ray can still play (assuming that's still true next year).

If I were a Cavs fan, I wouldn't have much confidence in Ferry after his last few acquistions - the guy has a horrible track record. As Danny has taught us, it's all about patience (passing on Iverson when all the fans were begging for him to pull the trigger). Ferry has never shown one ounce of patience, and is far more likely to make a move just for the sake of shaking things up and acting like they're doing something for Lebron, than he is to make a calculated decision.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Looks like Bill Simmons has the same thought in his recent article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/081126&sportCat=nba
2. Why don't more people realize that the Cavs, already really good, will be even better three months from now?

Only 5-to-1 odds to win the title? Really? Even in this crummy economy, with ticket sales about to drop through the basement, the Cavs can't blow their LeBron Window for one reason: If they win a title, he might stay and save professional basketball in Cleveland. Money is no object. They don't care. And given that they have $20 million worth of expiring contracts (Wally Z. plus Eric Snow) as well as two favorable contracts (Andy Varejao and Sasha Pavlovic), that means the following guys are in play for them: Mike Miller and Michael Redd (the two biggies), along with Josh Howard, Shawn Marion, Gerald Wallace, Jason Richardson, Rasheed Wallace, Brad Miller, Raja Bell, Leandro Barbosa and Antawn Jamison.

For instance, let's say they traded Wally, J.J. Hickson and $3 million to Minnesota for Mike Miller, and $10 million worth of Brian Cardinal and Mark Madsen in 2010 ... then they dealt Pavlovic, Snow and a 2009 No. 1 pick to Washington for Jamison and Darius Songaila's mildly reprehensible contract. Two reasonable trades, right? Cleveland gets two blue-chippers; Minnesota and Washington save money, gain cap space and position themselves for 2009 (fantanking) and 2010 (the free agent bonanza). Wouldn't the Cavs become the favorites if they landed Jamison AND Miller without giving up anyone in their top-eight? I'd be more scared as a Celtics fan if Mike Brown wasn't in charge. The point is -- they will definitely add one more elite guy and possibly two. Which means that our top three (Boston, Cleveland, Los Angeles) could end up being more loaded than any top three since 1993 (Chicago, New York, Phoenix). This is a good thing.

(The highlight of the second trade for me: I called my buddy House, a diehard Wiz fan, and opened the conversation with, "Would you trade Jamison and Songaila for ...?" and before I could say the rest, he just started screaming, "YES! YES! YES! ABSOLUTELY! GIVE ME THE CAP SPACE!!! YES!!!!" Ladies and gentlemen, your 2009 Washington Wizards! OK, let's give the readers a couple of questions.)

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I do think Cleveland has to go for it this year, and convert those expiring deals into impact players.

But looking over the Cavs roster, it seems they ought to go after an impact big man rather than another shooting guard. The Gibson-DWest-Mo Will troika makes for a nice rotation, with Pavlovic a decent option for some backcourt size as well.

I don't think Ben Wallace, Big Z, and Sideshow Andy is enough to beat the rest of the East. They need one more big body, preferably one with some offensive game.

Don't know what Miami's plan is for the future, but if they want to unload some money, Wally for Udonis Haslem and Marcus Banks would be a great move for Cleveland.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:43:54 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Snow and Pavlovic for Jamison

Wally for Camby/Kaman and Hart

Either trade can be altered to where the Cavs take on more salary or throw in some small value pieces (or draft picks) that may be of use.

Both trades would load the Cavs up and make them the favorites in the East and both are realistic enough.  I mean a starting 5 of Camby/Kaman, Jamison, LBJ, West, and Mo Williams with Big Z, Big Ben, Varejao, and Boobie as the main rotation would be disgustingly good.  And Big Z and Big Ben both have just one year remaining and in the case of Big Z he still has a lot of value if they wanted to upgrade the SG position.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I heard Vince Carter and Jason Kidd's names being possibilites to join the Calvaliers in the near future.One of the sports writers for the Boston Herald threw that out there tonight.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 10:37:02 AM by housecall »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
My first idea would be the following

Wally and Gibson to Miami for Marion

then

Snow and Pavolic to Minn for Miller and Madson

Miller becomes the starting SG with West becoming the reserve combo guard.

Marion becomes the 6th man playing 35 minutes at PF and SF.

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Who cares what the Cav's do. They'll probably move Wally to get cap space as all other teams are doing to get the great Lebron. If the Cavs are smart they should try to improve their team to get a real chance at a championship. They haven't done that yet. This tactic seems to have worked for one team I know of.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I meant past moves by Ferry, who is one of the worst GMs in the league.  All he does is make lateral moves at best.

I still smile when I think of the Jiri Welsh trade  :).
Celtics fan for life.

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
if you're expecting a lateral move by cleveland you're in denial. this year is gonna be the true test. i expect after cleveland is done we will be legit underdogs. but we have ubuntu. that's gonna count for a lot. i certainly would'nt bet against us.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Who cares what the Cav's do. They'll probably move Wally to get cap space as all other teams are doing to get the great Lebron. If the Cavs are smart they should try to improve their team to get a real chance at a championship. They haven't done that yet. This tactic seems to have worked for one team I know of.

Wally is cap space.

The best way to keep Lebron is to put a better team around him.  Using the two cap space contract to add players is the best way to do it.