Author Topic: iphone vs g1 vs storm  (Read 7055 times)

iphone vs g1 vs storm
« on: November 24, 2008, 01:04:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Who knows this stuff?  Discuss. 

Re: iphone vs g1 vs storm
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 01:15:28 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
depends what you are looking to get out of the phone.

I am buying a Storm (which is against my own advice of never buy any electronic device, especially phones in the first year they are out.  it is going to have a ton of bugs and tech issues.  same applies for the g1).

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 01:22:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I am buying a Storm (which is against my own advice of never buy any electronic device, especially phones in the first year they are out.  it is going to have a ton of bugs and tech issues.  same applies for the g1).

Well what do they have in common and what are the major differences?

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 01:25:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup

I've been considering getting a Blackberry type phone and it is kind of confusing.  I think these phones have a lot in common but each are linked in to different service providers (Sprint, Verizon etc...but I could be mistaken)
Yup

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25

It really depends on what service carrier you currently have or will be using. Storm is available for verizon right now, will be available for AT&T and Tmobile in the near future. Storm is nice but blackberry services can be expensive pending how much data service you are planning on using. G1 is a nice option to Iphone. i've ordered mine, i have tmobile right now so it was the best choice for me. What i like about G1 is the full keypad. touch screens are nice but if you're used to texting on full key pad like me, you won't like touch screen phones. G1 is basically like Iphone plus the full keypad. these phones all offer similar capabilities but one thing to keep in mind is how much of their features you are going to be using- are you going to text a lot? how much data service you want to use.. also, blackberries use a third party operating systems, microsoft so it's really more for businesses.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 01:41:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
The main problem with tmobile is that their service is crap.   

As far as actual plans, they all cost about the same.  You pay for your minutes... and then like $30-35 bucks for the "unlimited data plan".  All three are pretty comparable.  You figure you'll pay like $100 a month for your service regardless if it's verizon, tmobile or at&t.

It sounds like all 3 have the same kind of features (full web browser, ability to play media...) sounds like the blackberry has some better options for e-mail/word processing.... sounds like the iphone has better options for gaming... and sounds like the g1 (in theory) will have great apps "down the line" because it's open source... but a lot of people complain about the strength of tmobile's network.

The main drawback I can find for the storm is that it doesn't have wifi (gotta rely on having strong service).   You can use the storm as a tethred modem for your computer/laptop, but have to pay extra for it.

The iphone seems to be easier to navigate, because they have patented those "pinch" controls where you can zoom in and out of a web document with two finger gestures.   

The storm has a clickable screen so it can "simulate" the clicking of a keypad.  But I've heard some negative things about that... where you have to sorta double click to make things go. 

The storm takes better pictures/video because it's 3.1 megapixel instead of 2...

Here's my main question.   I currently have verizon and use vznav on my current phone for turn-by-turn GPS directions.  I love it.  It's by far my favorite non-phone feature.  I don't know why more people don't use it.  It's fantastic.  Especially if you are traveling.   I use it all the time.  I'd probably use vznav more than I would use "full internet".  As far as I can tell, neither the iphone or the g1 has something comparable to vznav.  They have stuff like google maps, but that doesn't give you turn-by-turn directions shouted from your cell phone.  I don't understand why this is.  They both have GPS... what's the problem?

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 01:58:49 PM »

Offline galen

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 15
Being a reasonably happy iPhone owner, I can probably give a little insight on that phone.  I think it is pretty great as a consumer device, for everything but actual phone calls.  I switched to AT&T from verizon and have been not too impressed with their coverage (DC area).  Its not terrible, but definitely worse than verizon.  Secondly, I'd been having some connection issues with calls, but Apple just released a new Firmware and it seems to have helped it.

The UI of the iPhone is excellent.  Probably its top selling point.  Very easy and enjoyable to use IMO.  Also the App store is very easy to get applications from with many being free ( I have like 20 free apps right now).  I can't comment on G1's app setup, but I've heard its not quite as simple to use as the iphone's.

As for Turn-by-Turn directions, that might be coming in the future, but right now, the best your going to do is click through directions, which I find pretty useful, but isn't super when driving by yourself.

I'm not sure how great the iPhone is for using as a business phone, as I don't have it hooked up to my work email/calander via MS exchange, but I've heard it isn't perfect.  Blackberry probably has this area down the best.

Final comment to a long post, I'd recommend the iPhone and have been really happy with mine, but it does have its negatives.  However, Apple has been pretty good about updating its Firmware and fixing many of its bugs, as well as adding new features (like mass transit directions to google maps last week...very nice).  So you are buying a 2nd gen product that is pretty well supported.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
I thought blackberry unlimited plans were more than $35.. I could be wrong.
Storms are nice. I'd get one myself if it was available for Tmobile. Also you might want to verify the price of unlimited blackberry plan.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 02:08:13 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Iphone v. Storm
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40305/145/

I have heard bad things about the G1 (big bulky, etc...)

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 02:11:26 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 02:15:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I thought blackberry unlimited plans were more than $35.. I could be wrong.
Storms are nice. I'd get one myself if it was available for Tmobile. Also you might want to verify the price of unlimited blackberry plan.

Blackberry unlimited plan is $45 per month. 

I have the unlimited data plan with 500 text messages, VZ Navigator (if you don't have a separate GPS, I highly recommend it), and 450 anytime minutes.  I pay about $98 per month, AFTER a 15% discount from my job.

In general, the price isn't great, but in Boston, Verizon is a much better network than AT&T and T-Mobile (I had an AT&T phone for a while, but got frustrated when I could never get a signal).

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
When the iPhone first came out, it was easily better than any other phone/PDA on the market. In fact, it blew everything else out of the water. Blackberry's advantage was Exchange support. Now that iPhone has Exchange support, corporate Blackberry users are flocking to iPhone.

Now, everyone is playing catch-up to compete with iPhone. I know at least one person with G1 and it's probably a pretty decent device overall, but it fall short of the iPhone (who wants to carry a brick in their pocket?). Don't know much about Storm, but it's unlikely that a second-comer to the game is going to seriously outperform the original.

I'm a biased, happy iPhone user, but I'd go with iPhone - you won't regret it.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
When the iPhone first came out, it was easily better than any other phone/PDA on the market. In fact, it blew everything else out of the water. Blackberry's advantage was Exchange support. Now that iPhone has Exchange support, corporate Blackberry users are flocking to iPhone.

Now, everyone is playing catch-up to compete with iPhone. I know at least one person with G1 and it's probably a pretty decent device overall, but it fall short of the iPhone (who wants to carry a brick in their pocket?). Don't know much about Storm, but it's unlikely that a second-comer to the game is going to seriously outperform the original.

I'd go with the iphone if not for the lack of turn-by-turn GPS directions.  This disappoints me.  And does the iphone even have external speakers to support audible turn-by-turn directions if they even create software comparable to vznav?

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
as with the posters above, the iphone is just so much easier to use than anything else i have seen.

the comment above about it having trouble with calendars, etc. is not something i have seen. from my office, people can edit my calendar on their computer, and the iphone automatically updates to match the changes....

that's right, other people control my life because of my iphone now.  ;)

the big draw back is that ATT is a not great. but phone service is acceptable.

also, that you can use a wide range of languages on iphone is really useful to me.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

I'd go with the iphone if not for the lack of turn-by-turn GPS directions.  This disappoints me.  And does the iphone even have external speakers to support audible turn-by-turn directions if they even create software comparable to vznav?

I have the original iPhone (no GPS) and the Google directions I get are plenty useful. I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "turn-by-turn" directions, but I'm assuming you mean that it will give you voice commands based on your GPS location (much like a car GPS device). While that would be a useful addition, I really don't think that should be the reason you pass on the iPhone - especially since it's very likely that that feature will be added in future updates. So far, Apple has been quite responsive to customers when they update the firmware.