Author Topic: the dice situation...  (Read 3899 times)

the dice situation...
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:38:43 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Highlights how stupid the rule is.

Why even make teams wait 30 days. I know it is embarrassing to have guys traded, cut, and sign with their old team right away but what does 1 month do?  nothing.  We saw it last year with Stackhouse, we see it again with Dice. 

It is blatantly obvious that the teams make arrangments with the players prior to trading the players (Stack was stupid enough to say so).  All the month waiting period leads to is the agent gets to BS the media about the player weighing other offers. 

It is a waste of time.  Either make the teams wait till the next season (which would actually stop this bs) or dont have any restriction.

Re: the dice situation...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:03:06 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
It is a waste of time.  Either make the teams wait till the next season (which would actually stop this bs) or dont have any restriction.

Yeah I agree but whatever, it doesn't exactly put the Pistons over. I wouldn't have traded Chauncey for AI. They lost a leader who plays D and gained someone who plays no D and is on a steady decline.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 10:04:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Maybe the league thinks that a 13-15 game suspension, which is about what it amounts to, is sufficient for this type of deal. Personally I agree, there isn't another major American sport that would allow this nonsense. It shouldn't be allowed.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:22:39 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
I think the part that just annoys me the most is that the player and agent lie to everyone about their true intention.  Everyone knew he was going back to Detroit, but he couldn't say that, so they had to have this ruse. 

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 10:23:58 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
They should have to sit out or go elsewhere for a year. This is bunk.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Anyone here ever made a token purchase in a shop just to their parking verified?

McDyess and his agent talking to other teams, and keepingt heir lips sealed about going back to Detroit is the same deal. 

It's a crappy system, but this the way to work it.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 10:45:50 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

But that's the point.  Why have a crappy system that can be so easily avoided.  Unless they simply don't care that it is avoided in which case their should be no rule in the first place.   

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 11:15:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

But that's the point.  Why have a crappy system that can be so easily avoided.  Unless they simply don't care that it is avoided in which case their should be no rule in the first place.   
Couple of points. Were you so adamantly against this system in 2002 or 2003 when it allowed us to resign Gary Payton after we had traded him? Two, something like this has to be in place because with the matching salaries rule for teams over the cap(which is just about everyone) a trade for two players of about equal ability that have vastly different salaries would be impossible.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I didn't think it was fair when Payton came back... I liked that it was in our favor though.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 11:33:48 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Couple of points. Were you so adamantly against this system in 2002 or 2003 when it allowed us to resign Gary Payton after we had traded him? Two, something like this has to be in place because with the matching salaries rule for teams over the cap(which is just about everyone) a trade for two players of about equal ability that have vastly different salaries would be impossible.

The rule wasnt in place when Payton came back (right?  wasnt this in response?)  If thats the case, then I dont care, because it wasnt a rule then. 

The problem I have is having a useless rule.  that is why I say either have no rule, or have it last until the end of the season.

As for the trade scenario you present, I understand why it is in place, but then this is just a way to get around those rules.  you are skirting one of the points of the rules.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

The rule wasnt in place when Payton came back (right?  wasnt this in response?)  If thats the case, then I dont care, because it wasnt a rule then. 

The problem I have is having a useless rule.  that is why I say either have no rule, or have it last until the end of the season.

As for the trade scenario you present, I understand why it is in place, but then this is just a way to get around those rules.  you are skirting one of the points of the rules.
I don't think that they are skirting the points of the rules so much as they are leveling the playing field in the ability to make fair and just trades within a not so great collective bargaining environment.

With the trading rules being as they are for teams over the cap, this rule makes certain trades palatable and fair. Josh Howard for Ray Allen would be a fair trade. But Allen makes $10 million more than Howard so someone would need be thrown in. This rule allows for a leveling of the playing field where the team getting the lower priced player gets to buy out the additional player, get a bit of cap relief and get a quality player. The team getting the higher priced player gets a quality player but also, after a small penalty waiting period gets to keep their team intact. It also allows teams not to have to trade 4-5 players for one player and cause the other team to have to cut a bunch of their roster in order to do the trade.

When the new CBA comes around I think one area that the league will adjust is trading players and the limitations that the salary cap brings to this area. I think the Gary Payton rule will be eliminated once something is done in that area. But overall, something like this had to be enacted for a couple of reasons. One, the reason above which allows for a more loose trade environment and two, the nefarious circumventing of contracts and other CBA rules by trading away a player and then immediately having him back due to some behind the scenes deals. That way the Celtics couldn't trade a draft pick and a player away for another player and have their player back the next day after the team they traded with cuts him loose.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
I think I'm more disappointed in Dice than the rule.  His choices are 1. Go to the Celtics for 7 months and have great chance at getting a ring or 2. Go back to the pistons and have almost no chance at a ring. He will regret this for the rest of his life.

I am biased but how could you not want to play for the Celtics.  Despite what Steven A Smith or any of the other pundits say. Boston is the Hub of professional basketball. Dice could be part of the greatest franchise in the history of Basketball. 

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 12:25:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I think I'm more disappointed in Dice than the rule.  His choices are 1. Go to the Celtics for 7 months and have great chance at getting a ring or 2. Go back to the pistons and have almost no chance at a ring. He will regret this for the rest of his life.

I am biased but how could you not want to play for the Celtics.  Despite what Steven A Smith or any of the other pundits say. Boston is the Hub of professional basketball. Dice could be part of the greatest franchise in the history of Basketball. 
He wants the stability of not having to move his family. That's noble and justifiable. He sees basketball as a job and his family comes before his career gratifications. Nothing wrong with that.

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 01:32:49 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9

He wants the stability of not having to move his family. That's noble and justifiable. He sees basketball as a job and his family comes before his career gratifications. Nothing wrong with that.

I heard that. I agree it is justifiable. Just as moving your family for a better job is justifiable. We are talking about the Boston Celtics. If it was the lakers I could totally understand it.

His kids would grow up Celtics fans. Is there anything better you could do for your kids? ;)