Author Topic: Are the Spurs back?  (Read 2083 times)

Are the Spurs back?
« on: November 22, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
When the Spurs were like 1-5 I thought they wouldn't even make the playoffs but they blew out the Jazz last night. Roger Mason is a good shooter and George Hill has played good as of late. Ever since Tony Parker got injured the Spurs defense is much improved and they don't give up as many fast break points as they did 2 weeks ago. Are the Spurs a legit contender again?

Re: Are the Spurs back?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
You certainly can't count them out.  The average age of their big 3 are younger than ours so if they are healthy they should be a contender.  I like how they are replenishing their role players with younger guys like Mason and Hill like you said since someone like Bowen is looking old real fast.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 07:09:12 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
When wasn't the Spurs a legit contender?..as long as they have Duncan,they will always be in the hunt.I think some of us are judging a bit to soon on what teams might do for the season.There has only been about 1/8 of the games been played,and  most of the teams with injuries are finding ways to win and stay respectable until their star players return.If i had a choice as a team owner and coach,if things like injuries are going to plague my team,i rather it be now,in the early part of the season.Don't count any team out that has already been in the finals and won championships in the past.They always will find a way to win games sooner or later.The Spurs had some injuries early,but at the same time they were able to give a few guys on the second unit a real good look to see what they can really do.So it was a positive thing even when things were starting to look bad.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 07:14:18 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
LOL!!!

In response to your question though, they never left. When fully fit, they're a huge threat.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 07:27:10 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
This is the first year in a long time that I don't expect them to make it to the western finals.  The big 3 are still great so you can never count them out, but the supporting cast is very old and untalented.  I love this team but they are lacking some firepower.  They could use Louis Scola right now.  Or their draft pick Splitter that never joined the team.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 07:31:19 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
you can't count them out until parker and manu come back. don't forget, they still have duncan.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 07:50:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Did they ever leave?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:02:51 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 08:28:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
A slow start for a team with so much history is not a big deal.

People just were looking for a reason to see them down for good.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 09:45:23 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Spurs are not a legitimate contender. They're Detroit of the past few years, an excellent team that will win a lot of games and can make noise in the playoffs, but is incapable of surviving four rounds against elite competition.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 09:48:17 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I would not count on Roger Mason JR. for the whole season.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird