Author Topic: Marbury Refused to Play Last Night  (Read 2358 times)

Marbury Refused to Play Last Night
« on: November 22, 2008, 03:21:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/gamecenter/recap/NBA_20081121_NY@MIL

After the trades the Knicks were left with 7 regulars at their disposal for last nights game.  The league requires they suit up at least 8 healthy bodies, so Marbury was in uniform, but he refused to play when given the opportunity.

This was no big surprise I guess, given the current state of affairs with Marbury in New York, but it just sounds like the guy doesn't even like the game of basketball any more.  It was a chance to get out there and get some run and display a little good will (that might go a long way towards getting him out of the current situation). 

It just sounds to me like a guy who could give two poops about the game any more.
Yup

Re: Marbury Refused to Play Last Night
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 03:23:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Even though I dislike Marbury... I really can't blame him for refusing to play in this instance. Yeah, he was a complete jackass about it, but still; can you blame him?

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 03:33:23 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
He gets worse and worse. What contender would want him, assuming he's released.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 03:41:54 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Even though I dislike Marbury... I really can't blame him for refusing to play in this instance. Yeah, he was a complete jackass about it, but still; can you blame him?

I've got to agree on this one. They tried to show him that he wasn't needed, and tried to embarrass him. He saw his opportunity to strike back and he did.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 03:44:55 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Agreed.  I'm no fan of Marbury either, but I don't blame him.  They told him that they were going in another direction and didn't want him to play another game in a Nick uniform. Now that they are shorthanded they ask him to play?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 03:48:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
It didn't sound like either side was particularly bitter about him playing or not playing.  D'Antoni threw it out there and Marbury refused, so they played with the guys they had.  I understand why he might not want to play, but I also see it as extenuating circumstances and a chance to play some actual basketball.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 04:22:20 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I understand him not wanting to play and the face that no one seemed upset leads me to believe this is no big deal.

The team originally told him they had no need for him, that he was essentially useless to the team.  now that they needed him, he referenced the original comments about not being needed. 

if the team was p---ed, then I say there may be a problem, but they arent

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
 I was watching Marbury's interview last night after their game, he said ,"i was told as early as this morning my services were no longer needed and the team was going in a new direction,then the coach later in the day asked me if i wanted to get some minutes that were available".He told them he didnt think   he would fit into  what they were trying to do.

Steve Smith xKnick made this statement after Marbury's interview:"Marbury probably felt they were only using him for that 1 game until their new players got into town and then put him back on the inactive list.He didn't blame Stephon if thats being  the case...on NBAtv  as late as 11:00pm last night.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:44:53 PM by housecall »

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 05:06:41 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i agree with what he's doing.

"we have no use for your services"
"hey you wanna play tonight?"

haha, what would you say?

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I don't fault Marbury on his decision not to play. The only question in my mind, would a strong performance have given him any leverage on a buyout? Not likely.

Walsh has made great moves thus far in New York, but he mishandled this situation badly and right from the start. Never work out well for the team in question: Tim Thomas, Ron Artest, Jamaal Tinsley, etc.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 06:15:22 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
whats 20 million divided by 82?