Author Topic: Zach Randolph traded to the Clippers (LA Times)  (Read 10992 times)

Re: Zach Randolph traded to the Clippers (LA Times)
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
New York will have a lot of cap space in the future. However, they will have little, if any young prospects. What makes New York so certain they will land a top free agent when their team will still most likely be lousy? Lebron should go to the team that has the best chance of winning. In my opinion, in 2010 - 2011 season New York will still be performing dismally.  

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 07:43:56 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
New York will have a lot of cap space in the future. However, they will have little, if any young prospects. What makes New York so certain they will land a top free agent when their team will still most likely be lousy? Lebron should go to the team that has the best chance of winning. In my opinion, in 2010 - 2011 season New York will still be performing dismally.  

That's the beauty of a player like LeBron though. He automatically makes any roster a playoff-caliber team. He needs certain pieces around him to make it work, but he knows he can do many many things on a basketball court even by himself. Imagine the appeal of LeBron owning the Big Apple and making the Knicks not only relevant again, but a serious title contender. Tremendous moves by the Knicks, IMO the only problems here are with all the other teams jockeying for position. Plus, two additional years of sucking and making the lottery will give them young prospects. Take those draft choices, plus David Lee and maybe a couple others, and LeBron (plus the obligatory "cagey veteran looking for title shot" signings that will come with LeBron), and you have a team that can challenge in the East.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 07:46:05 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
The Knicks may be able to get far enough under to get two top free agents. Imagine a LeBron/Bosh or LeBron/Wade combo in NY.

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 07:48:08 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
The Knicks may be able to get far enough under to get two top free agents. Imagine a LeBron/Bosh or LeBron/Wade combo in NY.

I think LeBron and Wade are staying put. But imagine an Amare and Bosh combo under D'antoni. That scares me, especially because its possible.

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 07:51:41 PM »

• Don Chaney

I think LeBron and Wade are staying put. But imagine an Amare and Bosh combo under D'antoni. That scares me, especially because its possible.

Dirk too... There are definite run and gun options out there. Do you really see LeBron staying put?? If I was a betting man I'd put him with Jay-Z when he moves the team to Brooklyn and renames the team the Brooklyn LeBrons.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 08:02:44 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Dirk too... There are definite run and gun options out there. Do you really see LeBron staying put?? If I was a betting man I'd put him with Jay-Z when he moves the team to Brooklyn and renames the team the Brooklyn LeBrons.

Yeah, I do. I think that neither New York team is going to be good enough to get LeBron to come there. He doesn't need the Knicks to be exceptionally marketable. He certainly doesn't need the Nets. This team still has Wally's over priced deal to get another piece to help LeBron. By 2010 I think the Cavs will have a nice team around LeBron and he won't leave. I am intrigued though by how good New York COULD be by 2010. I'm not as worried about Dirk on the back end of his career, but Amare and Bosh in their prime under D'antoni is scary. Also, if Portland can sign ANYONE, they would be loaded.

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 08:06:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Does this move remind anyone else of Bryan Colangelo's trade of Stephon Marbury to NY? The move that set up the Nash years.

Donnie Walsh should be the Executive of the Year this season. What he has achieved in 7-8 months is nothing short of incredible.

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 08:09:41 PM »

• Don Chaney

Yeah, I do. I think that neither New York team is going to be good enough to get LeBron to come there. He doesn't need the Knicks to be exceptionally marketable. He certainly doesn't need the Nets. This team still has Wally's over priced deal to get another piece to help LeBron. By 2010 I think the Cavs will have a nice team around LeBron and he won't leave. I am intrigued though by how good New York COULD be by 2010. I'm not as worried about Dirk on the back end of his career, but Amare and Bosh in their prime under D'antoni is scary. Also, if Portland can sign ANYONE, they would be loaded.

Agreed on Portland... What a job Kevin Pritchard is doing. I just can't shake the feeling LeBron has been eyeballing NYC for some time. Also, I don't see why LeBron would wanna go somewhere that he has to have people around him. I would think he would want to be somewhere with cap room to sign the veterans that will come to him to win. I also think for a player like LeBron who has such a strong understanding and appreciation for the history of the league, the idea of rejuvenating the Mecca of basketball could hold some weight in that offseason. Nothing more then a feeling though, and he could certainly stay in Cleveland too. The only sure thing is that the 2010 offseason will change the entire league, not just because of LeBron. Youre right too... D'Antoni getting his hands on Bosh or Amare would be bad news for the East as well.

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 09:52:12 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Would love if Mobley got bought out. Or Tim Thomas.

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 10:34:12 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
This deal seems to leave the Clippers without a legit SG.  I don't see playing 3 bigs in the two big positions as a problem though.  There are 96 minutes available for Zach, Camby, and Kaman which should be plenty.  Davis is their point and Thornton seems to be fine at SF but who plays SG?  Other than that, it doesn't leave them too bad off.

For the Knicks, their motivation is obvious.  They are blowing it up.  They traded their two most effective players to get shorter contracts back.  I guess Tim Thomas is their center until Eddy Curry gets back on the court (they had that problem already though so no change).  So they have Mobley to play Crawford's minutes and Thomas and Harrington to play Randolph's.  I think they might just keep winning.

Eric Gordon or Ricky.
I missed Ricky Davis.  I looked on the Sportsline depth chart and they had Ricky as a 3.  I think Ricky can hold it down for them so Zach may just give them a spark on an otherwise decent team.

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 10:52:31 PM »

Offline WayneKreklow

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Watching the Clips on a regular basis, I can vouch for both Cat and Timmy T being completely done and not interested in playing basketball. Both like to shoot the long ball and pretty much play between the 2 3-point lines, except for when free throws are being shot.

As a part-time Clippers fan, I don't mind this move. Baron Davis needs some help, Camby can't score and Kaman is pretty erratic. Having strong low-post presence will open up the outside shots for both Gordon and Ricky. Will also allow Baron to get more creative.

As for holding out, using the money to sign FA's? Unless they break the bank, no one's signing here. Just the reality of it all.