Author Topic: Zach Randolph traded to the Clippers (LA Times)  (Read 11008 times)

Zach Randolph traded to the Clippers (LA Times)
« on: November 21, 2008, 04:52:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The reshaping of the Clippers continued with the acquistion of forward Zach Randolph and guard Mardy Collins from the New York Knicks for shooting guard Cuttino Mobley and forward Tim Thomas.

Randolph is averaging 20.5 points and 12.5 rebounds, leading the Knicks in both categories. Collins has appeared in nine games, averaging 2.2 points. The teams were scheduled to go over the details of the deal and the respective contracts with the league in a conference call this afternoon.

The move gives the Clippers someone with the ability to play in the low post, and makes them younger. Randolph is 27; Mobley and Thomas are 33 and 31, respectively. Mobley had been averaging 13.7 points and the oft-injured Thomas 9.5.

"I'm a little upset," said Mobley, in a voice barely above a whisper. "It was a surprise. I mean, I liked our team. I didn't give up on our team. I don't know what the owner was thinking, and don't know what anyone was thinking.

"I thought we were going to come around. It's hard. It's hard because I like all the guys a lot. It's tough."

Link.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Zach Randolph traded to the Clippers (LA Times)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 04:56:16 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
The reshaping of the Clippers continued with the acquistion of forward Zach Randolph and guard Mardy Collins from the New York Knicks for shooting guard Cuttino Mobley and forward Tim Thomas.

Randolph is averaging 20.5 points and 12.5 rebounds, leading the Knicks in both categories. Collins has appeared in nine games, averaging 2.2 points. The teams were scheduled to go over the details of the deal and the respective contracts with the league in a conference call this afternoon.

The move gives the Clippers someone with the ability to play in the low post, and makes them younger. Randolph is 27; Mobley and Thomas are 33 and 31, respectively. Mobley had been averaging 13.7 points and the oft-injured Thomas 9.5.

"I'm a little upset," said Mobley, in a voice barely above a whisper. "It was a surprise. I mean, I liked our team. I didn't give up on our team. I don't know what the owner was thinking, and don't know what anyone was thinking.

"I thought we were going to come around. It's hard. It's hard because I like all the guys a lot. It's tough."

Link.

Wow, the Knicks are busy.  Undoing Issiah.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 04:58:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Great move by the Knicks, curious one for the Clippers.  Randolph is definitely NOT Dunleavy's kind of player, and it creates a bit of a logjam up front with Camby and Kaman already there.  Perhaps this will lead to yet another trade.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:59:33 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
How does this look for the Knicks financially? Is one of Thomas or Mobley a expiring contract? I could have sworn someone offered them what was basically a salary dump earlier in the off-season.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 05:00:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Freakin homerun day for the Knicks today. They traded Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford (both under contract after 2010) not only more team oriented players but players that have contracts that end in 2010. By my calculations, assuming they do not re-sign David Lee, they will have a dollar seventy-five on payroll right now in the summer of 2010, with approximately 25 billion available under the cap.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 05:00:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
How does this look for the Knicks financially? Is one of Thomas or Mobley a expiring contract? I could have sworn someone offered them what was basically a salary dump earlier in the off-season.

Yeah, the Clippers offered them a #2 for him, but they wouldn't have had to take back any salary.  They declined.

Both Mobley and Thomas expire after next season.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202

Donnie Walsh is no slouch!
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 05:09:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
From a 2010 stadndpoint, a great day for the Knicks.

Unfortunately, they still have to play the rest of '08-09 and the entire '09-10 season before they get there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Yeah, the Clippers offered them a #2 for him, but they wouldn't have had to take back any salary.  They declined.

I think I would've taken the #2 If I was Walsh. Why pay when you don't have too? Mobley and Thomas both have a huge fork sticking out of their backs. Oh well, not my money.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 05:15:09 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Nice move by Walsh. I don't like either player but they'll probally look all right in D'Antoni's system and its all about the cap room.

This move makes little sense from the Clippers perspective. What a messed up franchise.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Freakin homerun day for the Knicks today. They traded Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford (both under contract after 2010) not only more team oriented players but players that have contracts that end in 2010. By my calculations, assuming they do not re-sign David Lee, they will have a dollar seventy-five on payroll right now in the summer of 2010, with approximately 25 billion available under the cap.

I think the chances of them resigning Lee just rose dramatically.  If they can convince him to stay on a reasonable contract (say, just over the MLE), it might make sense.  They would still have plenty of money to sign Lebron, and likely someone else (if Lee was signed for $7 million, it would put them at about $33 million I believe, which would still likely be  over $25 million under the cap).  And it would make them much more enticing for Lebron, if he was coming to a team that already had a couple nice building blocks in Lee, Chandler, and Gallinari.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 05:16:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I think I would've taken the #2 If I was Walsh. Why pay when you don't have too? Mobley and Thomas both have a huge fork sticking out of their backs. Oh well, not my money.

Well, I think at that time, they still had delusions that they could actually get something of value for Randolph. 

But anyways, I actually think Mobley and Thomas can help this team.  They both fit into D'Antoni's system very well.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 05:29:21 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Good moves from Walsh.

Dunleavy is paying the price for taking Camby out of Denver's hands. That's what forced him to pull the trigger on this one and run the risk of getting Randolph.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 05:33:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Good moves from Walsh.

Dunleavy is paying the price for taking Camby out of Denver's hands. That's what forced him to pull the trigger on this one and run the risk of getting Randolph.

I'm confused, why did trading for Camby force him to pull the trigger on this deal?

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 05:39:03 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Is there a worse run franchise in the NBA than the Clippers?