Author Topic: Has the Game Changed That Much? (since the 90's)  (Read 12452 times)

Re: Has the Game Changed That Much? (since the 90's)
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 04:42:07 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Look I don't mean any disrespect to Walker.  He certainly was a good player in his heyday, but times have changed.  This isn't your older brother's NBA anymore.  Not just the NBA...  We're talking about a time before Obama changed the world and people still thought pygmy tasier's were extinct.  People didn't have iPhones back then and shows like TRL were still on the air.  

Sorry to say... Walker couldn't cut it these days.

Can you explain to me this obsession with iPhones?   

I mean what does this have to do with Antoine and how he would(would not) do in today's NBA as opposed to back in the day?

Well I mean... it was also before the G1 and the Blackberry Storm.   Not your older brother's NBA anymore.

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 06:19:24 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Look I don't mean any disrespect to Walker.  He certainly was a good player in his heyday, but times have changed.  This isn't your older brother's NBA anymore.  Not just the NBA...  We're talking about a time before Obama changed the world and people still thought pygmy tasier's were extinct.  People didn't have iPhones back then and shows like TRL were still on the air.  

Can you explain to me this obsession with iPhones?   

I mean what does this have to do with Antoine and how he would(would not) do in today's NBA as opposed to back in the day?

Well I mean... it was also before the G1 and the Blackberry Storm.   Not your older brother's NBA anymore.

*sigh*....Ask a stupid question, yadda yadda yadda...  ::)

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2008, 09:01:24 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/0405Top5.html

So the games changed a ton since 04-5 when Walker was traded back to the Celtics?  33 points, 13 boards, against the league leading Suns says it all.  Antoine could cut it these days. 

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2008, 09:54:10 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

So the games changed a ton since 04-5 when Walker was traded back to the Celtics?  33 points, 13 boards, against the league leading Suns says it all.  Antoine could cut it these days. 

Or way back in 2006 when Walker was integral in a Miami championship run...nah I doubt he could play "these days".
God bless and good night!

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Me thinks LarBrd33 is holding the yarn in front of the kitty to see if it will play. :)

So far so good.

Meow meow meow

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2008, 10:51:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
man, I can't believe there are any embers left to start this baby up again
Yup

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2008, 11:12:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Or way back in 2006 when Walker was integral in a Miami championship run...nah I doubt he could play "these days".
Oh sure... next thing you'll be telling me is that Brian Scalabrine and Scott Pollard were intregal parts of our championship run last year.   Look, you can skew the facts anyway you want, but the simple fact is... a guy like Toine was a good player in his heyday, but couldn't hack it with today's NBA superstars.   He could probably get Scal-like spot minutes on a team, but Walker in his prime would just be out of his league against today's far superior iphone-generation competition. 

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 01:59:49 AM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I actually thought this was gonna be a thread about 1990's basketball when I clicked on it.

Instead another Pro-Antoine vs. Anti Antoine debate.

You guys are the Israeli and Palestinians of Celtics basketball.   :)
Greg

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 02:22:24 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason
man, I can't believe there are any embers left to start this baby up again

there's nothing to talk about except the same old stuff.  might as well.  the other stuff's just boring to read  :-[

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 02:23:31 AM »

Offline Mideon

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I can't believe this discussion is taking place. Of course guys from the 90's could still cut it today. I assume that the people bashing Webber and company earlier in the thread were joking?

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 02:24:59 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason
I can't believe this discussion is taking place. Of course guys from the 90's could still cut it today. I assume that the people bashing Webber and company earlier in the thread were joking?

Dude there is no way Larry Bird could play today.  He doesn't have an iPhone!

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 03:00:15 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Too many failed attempts at humor in this thread.

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 03:40:06 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason
Good, can we lock it now?  :o

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2008, 10:42:06 AM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
Back to the original discussion:

I was on a flight back from a conference and watched a game from the 98 finals on ESPN classic. I was shocked at the relatively poor play. Maybe it was just one game, but the guys on the court in a finals really stunned me -- Carr, Hornacek, Jud Buechler and all the guys that MJ cobbled together...there were some really bad players.

There are some now, too, of course.

I would say the big difference is athleticism. For better or worse, guys are flying all over the place now, which I don't think was the case even ten years ago.

The other thing -- I think a lot of the statistical analysis is making its imprint on the game. You see a lot more baseline threes, for one thing, now, and that's something that always comes up as a great shot because of the way you can space the floor.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.