Author Topic: bruins question  (Read 8479 times)

bruins question
« on: November 19, 2008, 08:48:39 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i am a casual bruins fan.  i watch a good chunk of their games, but dont watch hockey as a whole, nor do i read about the sport.  i just like the local team and enjoy watching when the boys in green arent playing.

my question to bruins fans is this.....

why does manny fernandez play at all?  tim thomas is so far and beyond a better goal keeper, why does jullian switch it up?  to me, you let thomas play as much as possible.

Re: bruins question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:06:52 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Thomas has played 12 games to Fernandez's 6 (7 counting tonight), and Fernandez is making a solid chunk of change ($4.33 million), plus has had significant success in the past with Minnesota and is coming off an injury, so before the Bruins turn to Rask (and so they don't completely tire out Tim Thomas) they need to make sure Fernandez gets a fair shot at returning to the form he had in Minnesota before the injury last year.

That being said, I hate Fernandez and want Thomas/Rask as the goaltending tandem, but where do you put that 4.3 mil?? No one's going to take that on with him playing like this, so they have to just wait and hope he returns to form. God knows they could use the extra dough to make an additional acquisition and take a serious run at the cup.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:08:38 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
thanks for the insight. 

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:27:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

That being said, I hate Fernandez and want Thomas/Rask as the goaltending tandem, but where do you put that 4.3 mil?? No one's going to take that on with him playing like this, so they have to just wait and hope he returns to form. God knows they could use the extra dough to make an additional acquisition and take a serious run at the cup.

What's wrong with Fernandez?  He's having a bad game tonight, but otherwise, he's been really solid this year.  4-1, 2.31 GAA, .919 SV% coming into tonight.  Those are really good numbers (12th in the NHL in GAA, 14th in SV%).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:59:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

What's wrong with Fernandez?  He's having a bad game tonight, but otherwise, he's been really solid this year.  4-1, 2.31 GAA, .919 SV% coming into tonight.  Those are really good numbers (12th in the NHL in GAA, 14th in SV%).

Looks like just a bad period.  4 goals let in the first, none the rest of the way 7-4 Bruins win.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 10:34:05 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Yeah, every backup goalie in the league is going to get his games played.  It's too demanding physically and mentally to start so many games in a row at net.  He had a bad period, but I think he is one of the best backups in the NHL.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 11:09:25 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

He's a big cap hit especially considering I believe Tukka Rask can provide similar services to Tim Thomas as a backup for a whole lot less... I'd like to see the B's use the money to go after an additional puck moving defenseman like Bouwmeester or a consistent scoring winger to shore up the club for what looks to be a somewhat legitimate chance to make at least a little noise in the Stanley Cup playoffs. $4.33 million can buy a VERY solid offensive minded-defenseman.

His signing was a good move at the time, but Thomas has established himself as a star goaltender, and Rask deserves some time at the big club level, especially given his talent. Also, with Kevin Regan (UNH star goalie for a few years), they have definite organizational goaltending depth).
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 01:30:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
great year from the bruins so far.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 01:32:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

great year from the bruins so far.

yup
Yup

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 01:45:31 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
For those of you looking for a "hoopshype" like breakdown of the NHL team by team cap situation, www.nhlnumbers.com is the best site I've found so far.
The only color that matters is GREEN