Author Topic: Trading sports stocks  (Read 2523 times)

Trading sports stocks
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:32:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Aw I thought this would be some cool NBA-related thread where we say things like... "Buy Stock in Oden.  He's about to skyrocket" or... "Time to dump your Anthony Morrow stock... that's about to plummet!"

You guys ever play the Hollywood Stock Exchange?  it's like hsx.com.  Pretty fun.  You'd start with a certain amount of money (like 2k or something) and then you buy stock in different actors/films.  The system itself was kinda interesting.  Stocks were really just based on how their last 3 movies performed at the box office and how much money a certain film was projected to make.  In theory it's kinda cool.  Example:  You buy a stock in "Blair Witch Project" when it's an unknown project... and then when it way overachieves at the box office it skyrockets.   Example 2:  You buy a bunch of overpriced stock in Waterworld before it comes out... and then go broke when it flops.   Kinda funny.

They could do that with the NBA though.  It's just an alternative to fantasy basketball.  Has it been done?  Here's how I'd do it.  Base it off the nba efficiency stat.  ((points + rebounds + assists + steals) - missed FG  - missed FT - Turnovers) ... pretty simple.  Here's the leaderboard on NBA.com:  http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Efficiency.jsp?league=00&season=22008&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams  ... 

LeBron #1 at 31.1
CP3 #2 at 30
Bosh #3 at 29.1

I'd imagine the "NBA Stock Exchange" could use those numbers.   Example:  Greg Oden efficiency number is currently 13.8... Say you got $2000 bucks to start.   You see Greg Oden is currently $13.8 dollars a share.   Do you buy a bunch of stock in Greg Oden expecting that number/share price to skyrocket?   I sure as heck do.

Anthony Morrow currently is 17.1  If you had a bunch of stock in Morrow at $17.1 dollars a share... wouldn't now be the time to sell?... or do you expect it to continue to go up?

D. Rose at $20 bucks a share.  Buy or sell?

KG is $19.5 a share right now.  I say buy.  That should go up.  Then sell when it gets back in the mid 20s...

Bosh at $29.9 a share?  Sell sell sell... that aint going any higher...

How many people on this forum are ready to invest their entire 2 grand in Rondo at $13.5 a share?  lol...

Anyways... the idea has potential, I think.   Could you also invest in teams?  Their win% = their share price maybe...? 

Lakers are $88 a share... probably sell. 
Spurs are a pretty good buy at $50 a share.   What's a better deal... Oklahoma at $9 bucks a share... or The Wizards at $10 bucks?

Has it been done?  :-P

Trading sports stocks
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Aw I thought this would be some cool NBA-related thread where we say things like... "Buy Stock in Oden.  He's about to skyrocket" or... "Time to dump your Anthony Morrow stock... that's about to plummet!"

You guys ever play the Hollywood Stock Exchange?  it's like hsx.com.  Pretty fun.  You'd start with a certain amount of money (like 2k or something) and then you buy stock in different actors/films.  The system itself was kinda interesting.  Stocks were really just based on how their last 3 movies performed at the box office and how much money a certain film was projected to make.  In theory it's kinda cool.  Example:  You buy a stock in "Blair Witch Project" when it's an unknown project... and then when it way overachieves at the box office it skyrockets.   Example 2:  You buy a bunch of overpriced stock in Waterworld before it comes out... and then go broke when it flops.   Kinda funny.

They could do that with the NBA though.  It's just an alternative to fantasy basketball.  Has it been done?  Here's how I'd do it.  Base it off the nba efficiency stat.  ((points + rebounds + assists + steals) - missed FG  - missed FT - Turnovers) ... pretty simple.  Here's the leaderboard on NBA.com:  http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Efficiency.jsp?league=00&season=22008&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams  ... 

LeBron #1 at 31.1
CP3 #2 at 30
Bosh #3 at 29.1

I'd imagine the "NBA Stock Exchange" could use those numbers.   Example:  Greg Oden efficiency number is currently 13.8... Say you got $2000 bucks to start.   You see Greg Oden is currently $13.8 dollars a share.   Do you buy a bunch of stock in Greg Oden expecting that number/share price to skyrocket?   I sure as heck do.

Anthony Morrow currently is 17.1  If you had a bunch of stock in Morrow at $17.1 dollars a share... wouldn't now be the time to sell?... or do you expect it to continue to go up?

D. Rose at $20 bucks a share.  Buy or sell?

KG is $19.5 a share right now.  I say buy.  That should go up.  Then sell when it gets back in the mid 20s...

Bosh at $29.9 a share?  Sell sell sell... that aint going any higher...

How many people on this forum are ready to invest their entire 2 grand in Rondo at $13.5 a share?  lol...

Anyways... the idea has potential, I think.   Could you also invest in teams?  Their win% = their share price maybe...? 

Lakers are $88 a share... probably sell. 
Spurs are a pretty good buy at $50 a share.   What's a better deal... Oklahoma at $9 bucks a share... or The Wizards at $10 bucks?

Has it been done?  :-P

looks like there is something like this on nba.com, but I haven't bothered to see how it works.  http://nbase.nba.com/web/guest/home

Trading sports stocks
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 07:53:08 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Ok, I have somet things to add here.

1. I don't think the stock market has reached its bottom yet. I believe the whole system could go bust, and you shouldn't really get into anything at this point. I do think that wars are generally the time to get involved again, with history being a barometer.

2. oneseason.com is a sports trading exchange, except the thing is based off of market value alone. I know some people that made a ton off of this website and then sold everything off when the market started going downhill.

3. nba.com has a stock thing and it really aggravates me that you never truly know if you are doing well or not when you are not in a small, private league because the leaders are all kids who pick up whoever is playing that day. You are only allowed 82 starts of each position per season so their season will be done in about 2 months.

Trading sports stocks
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:24:07 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Protrade.com is an excellent site for "sport stocks"... I bought Chien Mieng Wang real low when he was hurt two years ago and made a killing... you could probably do the same right now long term with Arenas or Ginobili. It's a solid site though.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

Re: Trading sports stocks
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 08:59:14 AM »

Offline xChopsx

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
I just joined the Nba Stock Exchange thing on NBA.com

You get $300 to spend. This is my roster.

PG: Chauncy Billups
SG: Joe Johnson
G: Jason Terry
SF: Richard Jefferson
PF: Dirk
F: Michael Beasley
FC: LaMarcus Aldridge
C: Amare
UTIL: N/A

Re: Trading sports stocks
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 05:59:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
see that sounds a little different than what I was thinking.  The way I was thinking you'd have like $2000 to start with and could buy stock in any player/team.   Greg Oden would have been $13.8 a share yesterday... after his performance last night he went up to $14.7 a share this morning.   If I had $2000 dollars worth of Greg Oden last night... I'm now up to $2130.43 ...  I'm up $130.43 since yesterday!  WoOooo

lol