Author Topic: Hypothetical GM. Would you trade Garnett right now for..  (Read 8741 times)

Hypothetical GM. Would you trade Garnett right now for..
« on: November 18, 2008, 09:49:47 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Chris Bosh. Controversial I know. But who cares, pretend like your a GM and you have to make business moves for now and the future.

KG might already be my 3nd favorite C of all time. But If you had a chance to land Bosh would you do it..

Re: Hypothetical GM. Would you trade Garnett right now for..
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
yes

if contracts had nothing to do with and we could keep Bosh for a while
Yup

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Right now I would only trade him for LeBron.  Maybe Chris Paul, MAYBE.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 09:57:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I appreciate your Honesty me too. It's hard to think about trading the ticket but A chance to land Bosh. Wow.

I made a case earlier that Bosh was a top 5 or 6 player in the league and some people had a problem with rating him that high.

But I stand firm on that he is an amazing talent at the 4 spot.

JJ Reddick  said at the end of the game tonight that nobody's better than Bosh at the PF position.

I'll still take KG this year in a big game over Bosh.  

But in the future???

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 09:59:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
its nice JJ is already working on his studio game, he can call some games for duke once he scrubs out of the league in a year or so  ;)

as to the trade, I think I'd have to, assuming a part of the trade was a long term extension for bosh.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 10:01:39 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Scrubed out of the league. Eww Harsh. But yea I'm glad you guys are Smart business men.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 10:26:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bosh as long as Bosh first signs a max contract extension for 7 years.

Also if LeBron wants to sign that same extension and I'll trade Pierce for him.

Then if DWade wants to sign that same extension I'll trade Ray Allen for him.

Then we can have the Big Three Cubed with Rondo and Perk showing them the way to Celtic Pride and tradition and many, many more titles. Ahhhhhh.

*smack* *smack*

Me: Huh, what? What??

Wife: Wake up and turn over. You were snoring!

Me: Sorry hon, I was having the greatest dream.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 10:32:41 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
A more interesting question is if you would trade KG for Amare Stoudamire.

Bosh is KG without the defense.  No way I do that deal, even for the younger player. 

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 10:35:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Okay if the salaries worked out, and I know they don't, and the Trailblazers said you have one shot at this trade to do it right now in the next ten minutes would you do it.

KG and Perk for Aldridge and Oden

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 10:39:07 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Okay if the salaries worked out, and I know they don't, and the Trailblazers said you have one shot at this trade to do it right now in the next ten minutes would you do it.

I would do that deal--but Portland wouldn't.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 10:40:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
A more interesting question is if you would trade KG for Amare Stoudamire.

Bosh is KG without the defense.  No way I do that deal, even for the younger player. 
BTW, real life I don't trade for Bosh either in a straight up deal for KG. KG will be as productive an overall player as Bosh will be for at least this season and two more. Bosh might score more points but as Brick alludes to KG will give up a lot less. KG has the killer instinct and that championship experience that Bosh can't replace.

Amare would make me think twice.  But other than LeBron, Chris Paul and Tim Duncan, I don't do a one on one KG for anyone.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 10:56:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I would do that deal--but Portland wouldn't.
That's true Brick but think about it. It might cost us a championship this year and Portland is building towards something so they probably do say no but KG and Perk might just be the leadership and toughness that Portland team could use to take a giant step forward immediately. Maybe even into the Finals this year forward.

Steve Blake, KG, Perk, Roy and Batum as starters.

Fernandez, Outlaw, Pryzbilla, Rodriguez, Bayless, and Frye off the bench.

Very interesting combo. I understand why Portland says no but I could see where they might say yes. The defensive inside presence alone Perk and KG would bring would be huge, especially in the western conference.

Actually Aldridge, Oden, Pierce, Allen and Rondo would have an interesting time in the east.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 11:13:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
No.  I don't do it.

Here's why: I don't think PP, Allen, Bosh can win a championship in the next couple of years.  Whether they can win one a few years from now, when PP and RA are significantly worse than they are now, or when the Cs have other players that have been traded for (using PP and RA as trade bait), is an open question.

I might be interested if Allen and PP could be traded at the same time as KG for younger guys with upside, because then the Cs would have a chance at pairing Bosh with someone who could help win a championship in a couple years.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 12:50:32 AM »

Offline FierceLikePaulPierce

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
If we're talking KG on the T'Wolves, yeah; if we're talking KG on the Boston Celtics, no way.

I can't believe you guys are talking about this without prefacing it with "I would never make this trade for this team the way it is constructed because of chemistry and the ability to win now could not improve by it, but..."

If it ain't broke, you don't fix it.

And I don't see the point in dreaming of acquiring LeBron, Wade and Bosh at the expense of the current Big Three, and any of that crap, joking or not. What's the fun of rooting for the team if you look at all the players as being dispassionately replaceable by younger players with more perceived value around the league? Or just gobbling up all the best players in any way? Then you become the Yankees.

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 01:19:55 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If we're talking KG on the T'Wolves, yeah; if we're talking KG on the Boston Celtics, no way.

I can't believe you guys are talking about this without prefacing it with "I would never make this trade for this team the way it is constructed because of chemistry and the ability to win now could not improve by it, but..."

If it ain't broke, you don't fix it.

And I don't see the point in dreaming of acquiring LeBron, Wade and Bosh at the expense of the current Big Three, and any of that crap, joking or not. What's the fun of rooting for the team if you look at all the players as being dispassionately replaceable by younger players with more perceived value around the league? Or just gobbling up all the best players in any way? Then you become the Yankees.

Enjoying the view from your high horse?

Regarding the initial question, I wouldn't do the trade midseason. Let's go for another championship first.