Author Topic: Was Antoine Walker ever good?  (Read 30675 times)

Re: Was Antoine Walker ever good?
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2008, 04:29:52 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Antoine Walker was one of the most talented forwards in the league, in the top 5 probably. He had all the tools to be a regular all star. For some years he really played at that level, but he needed better coaching and a much better work ethic. He relied on his talent for making everything, but in this league you need to improve and work to make that talent be valuable. He just got uncontrollable under O'Brien's tenure and never really got it back after 2003...

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2008, 04:42:17 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
I was checking the Memphis site to check his stats and...he still hasn't played in 2008/2009?  :o

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2008, 05:40:40 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Walker's talent is vastly overrated - he was a SKILLED player - not all that talented physically. He wasn't much of a leaper - he had short arms. Those are pretty much two HUGE physical disadvantages. If that wasn't enough he was never in great shape further diminishing his physical skills.

He did have a pretty good handle for his size - and was a pretty good passer. He knew how to postion himself for rebounds as well. He also could hit some very difficult shots. He was rather like a poor man's Larry Bird at his best. Kinda like Larry Bird but without the shooting ability. <g>

It does bother me a bit that people act like if he had just screwed his head on straight he would have been a super duper star. Not true - Walker did well with the talent he had. Danny once remarked that he was savvy and he was.

Don't take his poor shot selection as sign of stupidity. he knew what he was doing. It was 'volume shooting' to pump up his stats. He would buckle down and play team first ball though in a tough situation. I remember how much people hated him and how much the team improved when he returned again.

Walker's strength on the court was his versatility. That's what made him remarkable his complete package of skills. He could potentially do whatever needed to be done. His weakness of course was that he tried to do too much for his physical talents..

So yes Walker was good. But he was never really great, IMHO. Just too flawed a player to be considered great even in his all-star years.

Pete

« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2008, 06:25:59 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton

It does bother me a bit that people act like if he had just screwed his head on straight he would have been a super duper star. Not true - Walker did well with the talent he had. Danny once remarked that he was savvy and he was.
(...)

So yes Walker was good. But he was never really great, IMHO. Just too flawed a player to be considered great even in his all-star years.

Pete

So you don't think that with a better conditioning and work ethic (that even Pierce didn't fully have back then under the same coaching) Walker's game would have improved?

He was told to shoot freely and was let out of shape... and also his knees started to fail a little, that's what made Ainge be reluctant in signing him back for the amount of years that Walker wanted. Time has proven that Toine's conditioning may have affected or at least not helped those knees and Ainge made the right decision back then.

And no, he wasn't a potential "super-duper allstar" but he was definitely one of the best forwards in the league in his prime. He has wasted his oportunities and now he gets 9 million dollars for sitting on the bench...maybe he is ok with that, and that's his problem

« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

So you don't think that with a better conditioning and work ethic (that even Pierce didn't fully have back then under the same coaching) Walker's game would have improved?

He might have extended his window a few years but again I don't think he ever had the physical talent Pierce did. I remember Pierce in the HS dunk contest. Walker was never really that kind of player..

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I always thought Antoine would have made an excellent big point guard -- a Reggie Theus type of pg--if ordered never ever to shoot a trey.

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2008, 06:44:27 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce take this team out of garbage and take us to a healthy mediocrity during a couple of season
We havev to thank them for their efforts
Toine was prized with a Championship in Miami
Pierce was with a championship in Boston
I am happy for both.

Thanks to both
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2008, 01:51:48 AM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I was checking the Memphis site to check his stats and...he still hasn't played in 2008/2009?  :o

uh....yeah.  He was told prior to the start of the season that he won't be playing 'cause they were "going young".  Look for him to be dealt as an expiring deal in a package to some team at the deadline this year....

...hopefully wherever he ends up, he'll get a chance(a REAL chance) to play.

« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2008, 06:10:28 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
The Knicks should try and trade for Toine just for pure entertainment factor.

« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2008, 09:31:15 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I always thought Antoine would have made an excellent big point guard -- a Reggie Theus type of pg--if ordered never ever to shoot a trey.
I always thought he played better at point guard too.  when he was forced to play this position due to injuries, his shot attempts were way down, his assists were way up, and his rebounding stayed the same.  It would have been interesting if he could have played this position for an extended time.  He seeemed far more efficient at this position, the main key being shot attempts way way down.

« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2008, 02:05:34 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I am surprised he isn't getting any PT.  I imagine he still has something left in the tank.  His stats with Minny last year weren't that bad for a bench player.  But at this point it seems that his value is as an expiring contract.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2008, 03:37:12 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
If Toine doesn't move get traded by the deadline, he should request a buyout so he can try to sign on with a contender. Im sure he can help some team out there.

« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2008, 06:20:26 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
The Knicks should try and trade for Toine just for pure entertainment factor.

God knows that team can use ANYTHING entertaining at this point.   

« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2008, 06:45:08 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Antoine Walker was one of the most talented forwards in the league, in the top 5 probably. He had all the tools to be a regular all star. For some years he really played at that level, but he needed better coaching and a much better work ethic. He relied on his talent for making everything, but in this league you need to improve and work to make that talent be valuable. He just got uncontrollable under O'Brien's tenure and never really got it back after 2003...

Why should O'Brien be blamed? Didn't he perform well under O'Brien? Maybe an unorthodox system is what fits him best.

Walker was good. It is silly to say someone who make multiple all star games wasn't good.

I don't get all the emotion over Walker. He has had a solid NBA career. He is not a hall of famer, but he has had success, and not he is well into his decline. He should play out his contract, and try to latch on to a contender next year for the league minimum.

I don't see Memphis buying him out any time soon. They would be better served holding on to the expiring contract until the trading deadline passes. I also don't see Walker agreeing to give up a lot of money since there is no guarantee that anyone will be interesting in him for the remainder of the season. He is probably better off having access to the Memphis team facilities and working out in their practices to stay in shape.

« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2008, 07:17:16 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I agree.

If Toine wants to play, he will stay or get in the best shape possible.

If he wants to sit and keep collecting a pay check, he can do that in his many fine suits on the Memphis bench.

I would like to see Toine get some run on a team battling for the playoffs. Maybe Indy can trade for him or the Spurs or Rockets, two teams with a boat load of injuries.