Author Topic: Was Antoine Walker ever good?  (Read 30672 times)

Re: Was Antoine Walker ever good?
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2008, 12:46:06 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
those bricks would do damage to a peach basket- haha, good one!  The nba isn't much different than it was then.  Walker would still do the same stuff he did then, and he still would be one of the alltime most inefficient players.

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2008, 12:47:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Guys, I like this discussion on Webber, Antoine etc... so I broke it off into separate thread

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=23729.msg381754;topicseen#new
Yup

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2008, 12:51:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Udonis Haslem is a role player and never has been more than that. Antoine Walker has always been a good all around player. You cant compare the two players other than they both play PF.

No one in their right basketball mind can question whether Toine was ever "good". He was very talented player in this league for quite a while and his career was ruined because he was the first piece of a rebuilding franchise. He never had a veteran to take him under his wing. Toine was forced to grow up too quick and it hurt him in the long run.

Walker was a good player for his time, but wouldn't survive in today's NBA.  The game is too quick, the defenses are too complex, the players are too strong and athletic.  I'm afraid to say that as good as he was, he just wouldn't fit in against today's far superior talent. 

So "3-Time Allstar" Walker(and not the shell of himself we are seeing these days) wouldn't be successful these days 'cause of those reasons and not 'cause teams wouldn't let him be the man or anything LOGICAL like that?    Nice thinking there, larry. ::) 

Sure he was a "3-Time Allstar" when he played, but times have changed.  In Walker's heyday he was playing with guys like Alton Lister and Frank Brickowski... and going up against inferior competition like Mark West and Fred Roberts.   Bottom line... I'd like to see a Steve Scheffler defend a Dwight Howard if you get my drift.  Different time, different era, different league.  It's too big, strong and athletic now.  The game is too complex.  The defenses are too evolved.  It's not your older brother's NBA anymore.  Walker wouldn't stand a chance.   It's not even the same game anymore... all sorts of rule changes.  Like Rule 2 Section IV on block/charge clarification... or Rule 13 Section I on instant replay additions.   

Times have changed.  We can honor Antoine for being a solid player for his generation, but lets not get ridiculous... Walker would be outclassed by today's players.

You make it sound like he was shooting into peach baskets or something. 

It was back in the old days when Bush was still president and the iPhone hadn't been invented yet.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:41:15 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2008, 11:26:05 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i can't stand antoine but he was good. i think toine should have been a borderline all star for many years. i think it's fair to say he would'nt have been at times hurtful to his team if he did'nt walk in being the most capable guy. i'll never for the life of me understand why he did'nt work tirelessly on his free throws,( shoot diaper shots if you have to) and initiate instead of avoiding contact. i've never seen a player so afraid to go to ther free throw line dodging and throwing up flick shots. just crazy. 

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2008, 11:28:40 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i'm not making excuses at all. again, i can't stand the guy but remember when pitino wanted antoine to be built like scottie piipen and the next year he completely flipped and wanted him to get a build like karl malone? or was it vice versa?  ahh rick... yeah you stink, rick.

« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2008, 09:29:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah, and instead Walker came in with the physique of the Pillsbury Dough Boy. ;) ;D

Okay Walker lovers that was just a little joke. No need to get all up in arms.

« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2008, 03:30:25 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
This one Walker moment, which will always be one of my favorites, is I think a moment that really sums up Antoines entire career in a Celtic uniform.  It really just takes everything positive and also negative thats been said in this thread, mixes everything together, and this is the play that comes out of it.

....Years ago were playing Philly and we're making a big run coming back from a big deficit, Walker got somebody in a mismatch in the post, I think it was Aaron McKie, and Walker does his trademark over the back jump hook....nothing but net.  Walker starts looking at the crowd and doing his shimmy while hes walking up the floor.  He doesnt realize Philly inbounded the ball quickly and is pushing the ball right up the floor quickly, someone gets Antoines attention, he turns around right when the balls about to be dribbled right past him, sticks his arm out and somehow puts it in the right spot and gets all ball, gets the steal, turns around and jacks up a three with not one green jersey under the basket, and SWISH.

Walker jogs up the floor with a big smile on his face.

For the life of me, I cant remember exactly what game this was, but it was the game where Walker "silenced" the philly crowd, he nailed a three to put us up for good after over a 20 point comeback, and ran up the floor with his finger over his mouth telling the crowd to quiet down. I think it was the year after we went to the ECF.

Im sure some of you remember this game.  But this moment for me, just sums up everything about Antoine.  The talent he had, the immaturity, the frustration of watching him pull up on a fast break for 3, or take a three with no one under the basket, and his antics on the court (the shimmy, telling the crowd to quiet down).
Greg

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2008, 06:20:33 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
he was as good as a pf that shots below 40% can be.

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2008, 10:51:27 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
next toine walker...see randolph, zach
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2008, 11:19:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Antoine was never that big a slacker or that much of a suckbag teammate
Yup

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2008, 11:24:28 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

Antoine was never that big a slacker or that much of a suckbag teammate

dont get me wrong i am talking basketball and talent wise
I love the wiggle and toine as a  celtics as long as it last.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2008, 11:35:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I would take Zach over Antoine any day.

« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2008, 11:38:41 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

I am not sure
Toine in his prime is easily as good as zack in his
both in pretty horrible boston and portland teams

Nice to be back!

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2008, 12:06:05 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings

Zack is a complete knucklehead and a slacker. I'd rather have Antoine strictly because he'd be a better teammate.

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2008, 01:40:03 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

Oh! Please don't say that! That statement breaks my heart! :'(

Come on, you must have a pretty short memory if you really think this.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!