Author Topic: Was Antoine Walker ever good?  (Read 30674 times)

Re: Was Antoine Walker ever good?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 12:19:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Also like the old Marbury and Steve Francis and playeres like that, Antoines numbers were greatly inflated because he got to do whatever he wanted.  He played major minutes, took all the shots he wanted, got to dribble be a playmaker.  

True... but unlike guys like Stevie and Starbury, Antoine actually led his team deep into the playoffs.  Antoine had the ball in his hands because he was the best or second best player on the team his entire career here, and he helped elevate the Celtics into a legit playoff team during his tenure.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 12:22:48 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
wow sick clip...

i forgot how mercer could really get up there.....check him out at the 44 second and 1:15 marks..

he had some crazy hops

Yeah, I used to love Mercer.  He never played much defense and didn't have a great outside shot, but he could still score.  Too bad injuries did him in.

unfortunately my lasting image of mercer is being on the wrong end of one of MJ's best blocks ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVGO_l0YvOg
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 12:26:23 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Nickagneta sums up my feelings.  Good for a few years.  It definitely became a detriment to the team when it's worst shooter took the most shots.

Yeah pretty sad his career deteriated.   Some other stats from early in his career.   1 time NBA player of the month, 2 time NBA player of the week,  13 career triple doubles as a Celtic only trailing Bird, 65 games with at least 30 points, Celtic career  highs of 47 points in a game, 21 rebounds, and 14 assists.  

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 12:33:03 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Celtic career  highs of 47 points in a game, 21 rebounds, and 14 assists.  

Didn't he have 49 against the Wizards on year?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 06:19:00 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Nickagneta sums up my feelings.  Good for a few years.  It definitely became a detriment to the team when it's worst shooter took the most shots.

A detriment to the team who led us to the Eastern Conference Finals....
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 07:12:27 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Ah, I knew this was one of your threads.

Antoine was a very good player. A good leader, a great passing big-man and the face of this team for the best part of 5 years.

A part of me still wants him back, even as a towel boy.

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 07:43:54 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
We got to the eastern finals that year because we were a great defensive team.  I would say we went that far despite Antoine's offense.

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 07:48:59 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
We got to the eastern finals that year because we were a great defensive team.  I would say we went that far despite Antoine's offense.

If you said that, you would be being intentionally mean-spirited.  That's just not the case.  Antoine was a leader on that team, and a good one.  He played an inefficient game, but he also hit a lot of big shots.

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 07:59:38 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Haha, he hit a lot because he took a million.  I actually used to hope his first couple 3pt attempts would miss, because if one went in, he would take 7 more.

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 08:03:55 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
I really didn't like our offense in general on that team.  Antoine, Williams, Delk, McCarty, Rogers and everyone else jacking up 3's.  We'd take like 30 a game sometimes.  The defense was always outstanding, but I felt there was a certain degree of luck for our offense to be good.  At least Pierce would get to the line.

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 08:19:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Antoine was a very good player when he was here and his team's never lost due to a lack of effort or heart on his part. My problem with Antoine is he should have been so much better than what he was. I attribute that to Rick Pitino never surrounding Antoine with quality veteran's early in Antoine's career that would have taught him how to keep himself at his best and Antoine's own lack of discipline in allowing himself to take the easy way out when it came to off season conditioning and improvements in his game.

He should never have moved his game out of the paint or at least any further out than 15 feet. He should have used his unique ability to dribble and pass as a weapon going towards the basket. He should never have been taking the ball up the floor or shooting ungodly number of threes.

But he helped motivate a young Paul Pierce and helped in the molding of the Truth. He will a fairly bad team to the ECF along with Pierce's astonishing clutchness. And this team was his every moment he was here, at times to a horrible detriment to the team, at other to a tremendous benefit.

I think he was horribly over rated because once his skills started diminishing at the ripe old age of 26 or so, he lived on the reputation of his passing skills, dribbling skills, post moves and rebounding that just disappeared seemingly overnight(though it was more like over a couple years). He became very Allen Iverson like in that he stagnated offenses, became a defensive liability, stopped making intelligent passes and shot way too much and scored extremely inefficiently. Finally in his last year or two here he couldn't make a layup, his FT%, FG%, and rebounding and assist numbers fell every year some for more than those two years, and he started getting eaten up by athletic 4s.

But all people could remember was that 2002 playoff stretch and his early years and lost focus of just how many games he may have cost this team because his ego and laziness got in the way. Antoine played like an All-Star for about 3 seasons here. But he attained some of those All-Star numbers at the expense of his team's success and the greater good of his team and team mates.

I still think he was horribly over rated and that his legacy amongst Celtics fans remains as such.

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 08:22:52 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
totally agree.  It's funny how people remember that one year like it was a dynasty or something!  We usually got knocked out in the 1st round or didn't make the playoffs.  That was the one fluke year. 

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 08:27:17 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Was Antoine Walker ever good?

Yes, he was good. But does it really matter anymore? I thought Antoine threads were reserved for the off-season when there wasn't much news.

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 08:30:39 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
My lasting image of him sums it up.  He would catch the ball wide open at the foul line, then turn around and dribble to the 3pt line.  By the time he got there he would be defended and he'd take a fallaway 3.  I just havn't seen many nba player turn around and dribble the wrong way for no particular reason such as needing a 3 to tie or win at the end of a game.  And he was a horrible shooter.  It blew my mind that the coaches let him continually do this.

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 08:57:56 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Antoine really could play.  I was born in 87, so when I was really getting into Celtic basketball, it was first Dino Radja and Rick Fox, then came Antoine and Ron Mercer.  Mercer is still one of my all time favorite Celtics, I loved him here, but anyways, Antoine's issue was coaching.  Somehow, ML Carr kept him more controlled then any other coach he played for.  There were times when Carr was forced to play him at center, but Antoine would legit play center.  He'd bang down low and he'd work on the glass.  I'd love for Antoine to have one last hurrah here.  As long as it was cheap money and low minutes.  His leadership skills havn't changed at all, and I'd rather have him then Scalabrine.
do it