Author Topic: Patrick O'bryant  (Read 27379 times)

Re: Patrick O'bryant
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2008, 10:53:32 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
So applying this rubric to Pat would mean that again, it's part of the coaching staff's fault. As I said before, he's fast enough when he gets going. The reason why he isn't getting time IMO is not because he's not trying hard enough but because the staff might have evaluated him somewhat incorrectly. Example #1: raw speed. He's faster and more athletic than Perk, but needs to work on his first step. Therefore, he needs to work on his explosiveness... are they saying this to him? Maybe not. Example #2: Defensive awareness. We already know he can block shots, but the problems I saw in the preseason games was that he didn't know where to go on either offense or defense.. the run-and-gun mentality basically carried over. Is this a problem because he doesn't know the sets well enough or because he doesn't want to listen? I'd like to think the former. So let him work on the sets in practice, do everything you can to familiarize him with them. Is the staff doing this? Maybe, maybe not. I'm inclined to think they're not.

So, in summary, it's not "yes or no" but "case-by-case."

That's an extraordinary claim that would require extraordinary proof. Can we attribute the lack of success for any player who didn't succeed in the NBA to the lack of good coaching? The idea that the coaching staff is not teaching him the sets well enough is bizarre. What I saw was a guy who has a very common problem: he can't simultaneously keep the awareness of his man and of the ball. That has nothing to do with the sets, he'd have the same problem in every scheme.

During the Summer it was said over and over that he busted in the Warriors because of Don Nelson. If the same happens here is because of Doc? What if he goes to Europe and doesn't do very well either?

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2008, 02:18:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What I don't understand is why the only time we should be evaluating his performance was when he was playing with three Hall of Famers in meaningless exhibition games in early September. Why exactly is that they only time we are supposed to judge his ability, heart, talent and conditioning in. He was playing against players who weren't at their season playing peak and with players that could make just about anyone that played with them look extraordinarily better than they actually are. I find the concept of only judging POB during just this time period odd, and extremely biased in favor of POB.

The coaches and talent evaluators and scouts take that bias out of the equation and judge the kid based on his entire history and all his playing time, not just when he played his best. We can not judge Tony Allen and what to expect out of him based solely on 20 games he played before injuring himself in 2007. His entire career must be judged to adequately determine his true ability. As this year has shown, Tony is no that player from that 20 games. His ability lies somewhere between those 20 games and the clueless kid he was when he came into the league.

Same goes for POB. Problem with that is except for those 2 or 3 exhibition games, O'Bryant has never really showed anything whether at Golden Sate, college or here. Reports are Nellie expected him to dominate the NBDL and he didn't even come close to that.

I just think it not exactly the best gauge of POB's total package to ignore 99% of what he has shown and concentrate on the 2% that was those 2-3 exhibition games he played with 3 HoF players and against weak competition.

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2008, 06:32:55 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Its a worthwhile gamble for a true 7 footer.  We have a roster spot with sam if we need a big.  Right now teams seem to be having quite a problem with KG Perk and our 2 undersized work horse pf Davis & Powe.  So why not let the guy learn the system, work with Clifford Ray and develop.
If he doesn't pan out it isn't Ray's fault, Docs or Danny's.  Still a young seemingly athletic (slow foot speed) 7 footer is a good gamble.  We didn't get much at all from Pollard, who did help when he was here, I don't remember posts saying cut him?
If Davis can start to consistantly hit the outside shot he can give us minutes at the center (think Unseld, poor poor mans  ;)  ) .  Up tempo center is KG.  And I am really impressed with Perk this year, his turnaround bankshot last night was beautiful.
I digress....OBryant is a worthwhile gamble.

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2008, 07:26:48 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Just for fun,

What do Pervis Ellison, Michael Olowokandi and Patrick O'Bryant (so far) have in common?

::)

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2008, 08:01:37 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
What I don't understand is why the only time we should be evaluating his performance was when he was playing with three Hall of Famers in meaningless exhibition games in early September. Why exactly is that they only time we are supposed to judge his ability, heart, talent and conditioning in. He was playing against players who weren't at their season playing peak and with players that could make just about anyone that played with them look extraordinarily better than they actually are. I find the concept of only judging POB during just this time period odd, and extremely biased in favor of POB.

The coaches and talent evaluators and scouts take that bias out of the equation and judge the kid based on his entire history and all his playing time, not just when he played his best. We can not judge Tony Allen and what to expect out of him based solely on 20 games he played before injuring himself in 2007. His entire career must be judged to adequately determine his true ability. As this year has shown, Tony is no that player from that 20 games. His ability lies somewhere between those 20 games and the clueless kid he was when he came into the league.

Same goes for POB. Problem with that is except for those 2 or 3 exhibition games, O'Bryant has never really showed anything whether at Golden Sate, college or here. Reports are Nellie expected him to dominate the NBDL and he didn't even come close to that.

I just think it not exactly the best gauge of POB's total package to ignore 99% of what he has shown and concentrate on the 2% that was those 2-3 exhibition games he played with 3 HoF players and against weak competition.

Ah, it's an Internet phenomenon. If you threw in with Danny without any prior knowledge of the trail Paddy's left in college and at Golden State, then you're naturally going to want to skew the statistics.

I don't necessarily disagree that on his face, Paddy was worth taking a chance on. But clearly, Ainge didn't do his homework on this one - didn't talk to the people who saw nonentities like Paul Miller dominate Paddy in the Missouri Valley, etc. If he had, he would have recognized this deal for the monsterous longshot that it was.

And remains.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2008, 09:40:18 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Just for fun,

What do Pervis Ellison, Michael Olowokandi and Patrick O'Bryant (so far) have in common?

well, it's not their hair...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2008, 11:08:42 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

90% of what POB has shown has been in the pre-season. The rest has been word of mouth basically. He hasn't played too many minutes in an actual NBA regular season game. There's nothing to judge him on if you choose to overlook pre-season. People are choosing to over analyze the negative, and ignore the positives.

While I don't want to sound like I'm giving POB a pass, I really don't think Nelson gave him a fair shot. While POB didn't dominate during his stint in the NBDL he did pretty well. He averaged 12pts/9rebs/3blks in 30 minutes his rookie season down there, and did a a little better the next seaon (although it was just 8 games he averaged 17/10/3.5). Not dominant, but nothing to really complain about.

He's shown that he has legit talen in preseason, and he's shown that he still has ways to go, thus making him a project. He's exactly what we thought he was when we signed him, a project.

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2008, 03:46:31 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Just for fun,

well, it's not their hair...

is that horrible hair like part of the right of passage for a player with no work ethic??  Even Kedrick Brown was sportin that horrible hair for a while.

Mark Blount looks like an exception.  Though he probably went through his lazy heartless growing pains at a very young age.  I bet if we went back to middle school we could find an Olowokandi-like hair doo.
Greg

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2008, 10:53:24 AM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
he's starting to make me miss blount...
He's starting to make me miss Rick Robey and Greg Kite.

You do realize he's barely played 10 minutes this whole season right?

...a lot more time is needed.

I totally agree.  I'm not saying O'Bryant is going to be a competent NBA player but he certainly hasn't been given much of a chance in Boston and at Golden State. It's a long season and if somebody gets hurt, O'Bryant may get a chance like Powe did last year. If Garnett didn't get hurt last year, Powe would still be languishing on the bench. And as far as using either Nelson or Rivers as a way to judge whether O'Bryant has the ability to succeed in the NBA due to the amount of time O'Bryant has played, well, I wouldn't take too much stock in that at all.  O'Bryant has potential but neither Nellie or Rivers are going to develop that kind of potential unless forced to. 

« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2008, 10:55:50 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I totally agree.  I'm not saying O'Bryant is going to be a competent NBA player but he certainly hasn't been given much of a chance in Boston and at Golden State. It's a long season and if somebody gets hurt, O'Bryant may get a chance like Powe did last year. If Garnett didn't get hurt last year, Powe would still be languishing on the bench. And as far as using either Nelson or Rivers as a way to judge whether O'Bryant has the ability to succeed in the NBA due to the amount of time O'Bryant has played, well, I wouldn't take too much stock in that at all.  O'Bryant has potential but neither Nellie or Rivers are going to develop that kind of potential unless forced to. 

I don't necessarily agree with that.  I think Doc will develop it, but he needs time.  O'Bryant has some nice tools, but he needs to do some serious work before he is a legit NBA player.  He looks like he has done absolutely nothing since college.  Give him time.

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2008, 01:24:53 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
the word on the street regarding o'bryant is that he has a questionable work-ethic.  if (and i repeat, "if") that's the case he will soon be finished.

for example, i can't stand scalabrine because he's not worth the contract he has (not his fault, i realize)...but i do respect his work ethic.

the easiest part of playing basketball is simply running hard down the court.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2008, 08:46:50 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Yesterday his problem seemed to be that he looked lost defensively. That alone will keep a player from getting minutes, especially on this team. The effort was alright, but he ended up spectating during a couple of plays. He definitely needs to learn to body up, and box out on the boards.

...O'Bryant basically looks like a rook/project out there. Nothing unexpected.

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2008, 08:55:10 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I don't necessarily agree with that.  I think Doc will develop it, but he needs time.  O'Bryant has some nice tools, but he needs to do some serious work before he is a legit NBA player.  He looks like he has done absolutely nothing since college.  Give him time.

Where he did nothing in college.

It's a good thing that I don't have fans calling for me to play players who don't earn minutes in practice.

I'd never win a game.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2008, 09:09:45 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If he can get a little tougher defensively I think his set shot would be a huge asset to the team.  And his rebounds per minute have been impressive, even though mostly in meaningless games.

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2008, 08:50:56 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
the word on the street regarding o'bryant is that he has a questionable work-ethic.  if (and i repeat, "if") that's the case he will soon be finished.

for example, i can't stand scalabrine because he's not worth the contract he has (not his fault, i realize)...but i do respect his work ethic.

the easiest part of playing basketball is simply running hard down the court.

yep, this does in fact appear to be the problem, just to let those who say we have no basis for that claim know. from the front page:

The reason O’Bryant isn’t playing is because Rivers doesn’t think the 22-year-old 7-footer has the fire in the belly that many of the other players have. While Rivers says that “other players are playing in front of him,” it’s obvious that once O’Bryant falls in line, he will earn that time.

“He’s starting to pick it up. He’s still got some ways to go there, but he’s much better than he was early in the year. It’s a different culture. We practice hard, probably harder than most teams, and I don’t think he was used to that.”
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion