Author Topic: Patrick O'bryant  (Read 27275 times)

Patrick O'bryant
« on: November 16, 2008, 02:49:43 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I've been pretty swamped lately with work and other things and i haven't been able to catch as many games as i would like. i just wanted to know what has happened so far with POB that has made everyone so down on him

Re: Patrick O'bryant
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think it's his lackadaisical attitude and Doc making statements like "Like we tell him every day, there’s Patrick speed and then there’s Celtics speed."  The kid is lazy.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 03:15:30 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Hard for me to believe anyone thought last summer that this guy cared about playing.

Ten more games, then sack him and bring in someone who wants to play the game.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 03:35:57 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I believe that the only time POB can impress the coaching staff is in practice and such....so if he is not doing everything he can in practice to stand out or make a name for himself....then he ain't getting any PT in real games.

Sorry, but if he isn't putting in the effort or the extra effort...just sit him.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 03:44:12 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Thanks,

None of this really surprises me, but im still pretty dissapointed, its a shame to see a project fail so quickly

but im sure we'll have a replacement for POB soon enough
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:53:53 PM by beantownboy171 »

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 04:02:30 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Too bad. Thing is other than the seemingly unrealistic hopes for Dice, who's out there?

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 04:12:07 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Too bad. Thing is other than the seemingly unrealistic hopes for Dice, who's out there?

The "are they retired?" guys like PJ Brown, Zo, Mutombo.

Stiffs like Voskul and Doleac

Other projects/busts like Jackie Butler and Rafael Araujo.

Via trade, possibly Sean Williams. 

My feeling is that (a) it is still early to get into the hand-wringing stage, (b) the best bet would be to see if Danny can swing a trade (but for someone other than Sean Williams), otherwise (c) in February see which of the "are they retired" guys wants to come play for Boston....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 04:19:08 PM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
I thought he played pretty good in preseason and has barely sniffed the floor in the regular season...obviously the coaching staff isnt impressed

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
he's starting to make me miss blount...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 04:44:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He's starting to make me miss Rick Robey and Greg Kite.

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 04:54:51 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
What is the deal with why Danny acquired Patrick in the first place?Did he owe Nellie and co.a favor or something?Its not like the book wasnt out on this kid long enough to know better.Maybe i missed something in the beginning of getting him i need to know in order to understand Danny's interest in him?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:00:38 PM by housecall »

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 05:21:11 PM »

Offline albert

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • ubuntu.
These accusations that he's just plain lazy are ridiculous. In preseason games it looked like he was trying hard to get up and down the court, but the problem was just that his first step getting there wasn't fast enough, meaning he's a step or two behind still in terms of raw speed. If you do a raw speed comparison between him and Perk you'd see that they're pretty much about the same getting down the court - and Perk has been working on his body for how many years now? So he's still got upside there.

Two other things: as some other people have mentioned in past threads, he hasn't been trying enough in games to keep his place on the block, something which is obviously against the C's defensive philosophy/scheme (probably partially due to a lack of conditioning), and he hasn't really learned the system yet (or at least didn't show that he did during preseason when he was getting all that burn). That said I don't see why it would be the greatest idea to put him on the floor, especially during games like yesterday's when he could be more of a liability than help.

Even so I don't think that we should be totally down on him. There's always the possibility that he might be able to contribute, but it's not going to be a "solid" (i.e. somewhere between Pollard and PJ.. leaning towards the Pollard side) contribution until he gets more burn during the season and gets called out for missing his defensive assignments during games, IMO. 50% chance he pans out at this point, NOT 10% or less like some here would suggest.
Bleed Green. What does it mean?

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
What is the deal with why Danny acquired Patrick in the first place?Did he owe Nellie and co.a favor or something?Its not like the book wasnt out on this kid long enough to know better.Maybe i missed something in the beginning of getting him i need to know in order to understand Danny's interest in him?

it was worth the risk on danny's end...but it appears that nellie pegged o'blount pretty well.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
These accusations that he's just plain lazy are ridiculous. In preseason games it looked like he was trying hard to get up and down the court, but the problem was just that his first step getting there wasn't fast enough, meaning he's a step or two behind still in terms of raw speed. If you do a raw speed comparison between him and Perk you'd see that they're pretty much about the same getting down the court - and Perk has been working on his body for how many years now? So he's still got upside there.

Two other things: as some other people have mentioned in past threads, he hasn't been trying enough in games to keep his place on the block, something which is obviously against the C's defensive philosophy/scheme (probably partially due to a lack of conditioning), and he hasn't really learned the system yet (or at least didn't show that he did during preseason when he was getting all that burn). That said I don't see why it would be the greatest idea to put him on the floor, especially during games like yesterday's when he could be more of a liability than help.

Even so I don't think that we should be totally down on him. There's always the possibility that he might be able to contribute, but it's not going to be a "solid" (i.e. somewhere between Pollard and PJ.. leaning towards the Pollard side) contribution until he gets more burn during the season and gets called out for missing his defensive assignments during games, IMO. 50% chance he pans out at this point, NOT 10% or less like some here would suggest.

First off, albert, this isn't meant specifically towards you but in people who make claims that players need more playing time in order for coaches to determine their ability to perform.

I've coached a couple of sports at the 10-14 year old age group. It was fairly easy for a neophyte coach like myself to see in practice and team scrimages who deserved the most playing time(remember that everyone gets PT at that level). Well, if I can do it so can professional coaches.

Doc, Coach T, and Clifford Ray can judge just what they think Patrick O'Bryant will contribute to this team on the cort in a game without putting him in a game by viewing and observing him in practices and scrimages. I'm sure of it.

I was never in a decade of coaching surprised but what I got on the field and court from my players after seeing what they gave me in practice. Not once. If POB isn't playing, it's because Doc and the rest of the coaches are convinced that, judging but what they have seen of him in pratice and team scrimages, the players in front of him are better equipped to positively affect the team than he is.

Players need to earn playing time at the high school level and above. They should never, ever be given playing time. It sends the wrong message.

I just hope if POB ever does see the floor it's because he has convinced Doc and the coaching staff that he deserved to be played and contribute.

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
He's starting to make me miss Rick Robey and Greg Kite.

You do realize he's barely played 10 minutes this whole season right?

...a lot more time is needed.