Author Topic: big man projects  (Read 3254 times)

big man projects
« on: November 16, 2008, 02:24:54 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Channing Frye had a great rookie year and has tailed off since. currently he is riding the pine behind big men Greg Oden, Joe Przybilla and Lamarcus Aldridge in portland.

he is in the final year of his contract and will probably be looking for greener pastures after this season. i wonder what his worth is on the open market, i'd love to see him backing up the 5/4 for the c's. (provided he brings more effort than POB.*)

*I'm still rooting POB to get his act together, the c's brass were obviously impressed with his talent/potential, but 'tude obviously needs work

Re: big man projects
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 02:31:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Another big man project who will be a free agent, of course, is Robert Swift.  It wouldn't shock me to see Danny show interest, as he has at least twice in the past.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 02:52:48 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I'm not one to knock a man b/c of his personal style or taste but R swift sure seems to have spent more time contemplating his body art than the art of basketball.

role players like perkins and powe fit the bill when you have KG but they will not be able to fill KG's role. We will not be drafting high for the foreseeable future so the celtics are going to have to find a quality big at the end of some bench.

IMO that is why danny and co took a flyer on POB. his raw skill set is unique. with hardwork and luck he and perk could eventually form a scary front court duo. most likely not going to happen but that won't stop danny from trying the same thing again.

signing either frye or swift would carry similar risks. But i expect the c's to try and swipe a future franchise big from the bargain bin in the coming years, as they look for a cheap and expedient way to continue the run.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 03:00:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Big men are kinda strange in the NBA right now...It used to be

The top guys:
Garnett, Gasol, Duncan, S Oneal, Brand Etc....
The Middle:
Everyone else
The truly horrible:
Scott Pollard, etc.

There are still 3 tiers, but the gap is getting smaller and smaller. Now, big men seem more interchangable, as their roles have diminished. Now, Joel Pryzbilla having a 20 and 12 night is good, but not even close to out of the question. Etan Thomas, Brendan Haywood, who cares, either is good. Miami doesn't even have a decent 5 on their squad. former 4's like Drew Gooden, or Joe Smith are now just as good as a 5

Channing Frye is buried because Lamarcus Aldridge is a little bit better than him talent wise, and is more suited to the style of play portland rolls with skill-wise. On our team he'd easily leapfrog Leon and BBD and POB to be the first big off the bench.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:07:44 PM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

The top guys:
The Middle:
Everyone else
The truly horrible:
Scott Pollard, etc.

There are still 3 tiers, but the gap is getting smaller and smaller. Now, big men seem more interchangable, as their roles have diminished. Now, Joel Pryzbilla having a 20 and 12 night is good, but not even close to out of the question. Etan Thomas, Brendan Haywood, who cares, either is good. Miami doesn't even have a decent 5 on their squad. former 4's like Drew Gooden, or Joe Smith are now just as good as a 5

Channing Frye is buried because Lamarcus Aldridge is a little bit better than him talent wise, and is more suited to the style of play portland rolls with skill-wise. On our team he'd easily leapfrog Leon and BBD and POB to be the first big off the bench.

interesting point on the three tier's of NBA big men, and i agree that the second tier seems to be expanding.

however, while there may be more NBA bigs who can put up an ocasional 20/12 night, there is still a dominant 1st tier of big man talent. sure, some of these guys play on mediocre teams, but no team wins  a championship without a member of the top tier on their squad (since the bulls?).

the trick for the c's will be to secure a future dominant big with out any help from the draft. unfortunately scouting the league for  undervalued young big's makes for a short list.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Fyre would be a nice addition.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 05:48:17 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
We have plenty of young bigs. Perk should be around for a while and Powe should be extended after this year. The jury is out on BBD and POB could get cut if he doesn't improve. I think we'd be better off trying to find a veteran big man to come off the bench when this season is over.

There isn't a lot of young center prospects out there and I assume that's why DA took a flyer on POB. I think we'd be better off using our winning atmosphere to attract vets looking for a ring.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 05:49:41 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
every time I hear Channing Fryes name come up I always think of Ben Stein in Ferris Buelers Day Off.

Frye?....Frye?....Frye?...
Greg

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 05:52:43 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

There are still 3 tiers, but the gap is getting smaller and smaller. Now, big men seem more interchangable, as their roles have diminished.

Except on championship teams.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 12:33:15 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

The top guys:
The Middle:
Everyone else
The truly horrible:
Scott Pollard, etc.

Scott Pollard was one of the best backup centers in the league. Truly horrible was Peja Drobnjak.

Etan Thomas, Brendan Haywood, who cares, either is good.

Are you serious? I think Haywood's absence is the main reason for the Wizards' horrible start of the season. Awesome defensive presence. Thomas isn't half the player Haywood is.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:01:08 AM by cordobes »