Author Topic: Wow Pistons are back!  (Read 5898 times)

Wow Pistons are back!
« on: November 15, 2008, 12:21:56 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
They were amazing last night (despite 19 turnovers) and Iverson's penetration really spread out the floor. The Lakers were like 10-1 on their homecourt in the playoffs last year and they lost by 11 last night. Beating the Celtics or Lakers on their homecourt is 3X more impressive as beating them on the road. I thought the Nuggets would suffer by the trade and the Pistons would benefit but it last night is indication that both teams got better. I kind of wrote off the Pistons to be lower than the Hawks and Cavs but are you still cynical of AI on that team?

Re: Wow Pistons are back!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Its still early yet.One game doesn't tell a tale.My concerns with this team with AI now is more of personalities not gelling in the end or the chemistry working in the long haul.At the moment they are in the honeymoon stage.Lets see down in March or April what is going on with this team.As far as him joining their team i could care less personally.I just hope it doesn't work for our sakes. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:59:57 PM by housecall »

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 03:42:07 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
They were amazing last night (despite 19 turnovers) and Iverson's penetration really spread out the floor. The Lakers were like 10-1 on their homecourt in the playoffs last year and they lost by 11 last night. Beating the Celtics or Lakers on their homecourt is 3X more impressive as beating them on the road. I thought the Nuggets would suffer by the trade and the Pistons would benefit but it last night is indication that both teams got better. I kind of wrote off the Pistons to be lower than the Hawks and Cavs but are you still cynical of AI on that team?

How fast teams can be considered 'back' is 2 now? It is way too early to make judgements.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 04:18:17 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
They will be lucky to get to the second round of the playoffs.  They don't have a PG anymore and Iverson won't assume that role for any length of time without going back to being a shoot-first, second, and always PG.  They also gave up a great defensive PG for somebody who plays no defense.

One game does not a season make.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
If AI doesn't play defense, neither does Rondo....their same exact player on defense.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 04:54:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If AI doesn't play defense, neither does Rondo....their same exact player on defense.
You're not giving Rondo enough credit. While both get a number of steals out of the passing lanes, Rondo does not gamble nearly as much to get them. Nor is he abused off the dribble like AI can be. Rondo is also longer and is therefore better able to run out on shooters.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 07:43:41 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
They will be lucky to get to the second round of the playoffs.  They don't have a PG anymore and Iverson won't assume that role for any length of time without going back to being a shoot-first, second, and always PG.  They also gave up a great defensive PG for somebody who plays no defense.

One game does not a season make.

While I do agree they will have a tough time during the playoffs with likes of atlanta and cleveland playing so well, they do have a great young point guard in Stuckey, who I hope gets the start for them by the end of the year.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 11:42:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Dude, do you ever start a thread where you either praise the Celtics or criticize another team?

All your threads seem to be to brag about the players of the Celtics rivals, praise the Celtics rivals, or criticize and condemn Celtic players. And yet you continue to claim to be a Celtic fan? I don't get it.

You do know it's okay to post here and not admit to being a Celtic fan, don't you? If your a fan of another team, that's okay.

As for Detroit, I wouldn't go crazy because they beat your beloved Lakers. They aren't that good and Iverson only takes away from the chemistry that team has built over the years. After two losses and three wins I'm not about to crown them ECF champs.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
A reminder about our posting rules:

Do not label fellow posters in a way that is likely to provoke a negative response.  Dependent upon context, examples include, but are not limited to, "fake fan", "bandwagon fan", "not a real fan", "hater", "koolaid drinker", etc.

Please don't call out other posters based upon their fan allegiances.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 02:47:43 PM »

Offline hoopaddict08

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I don't think the Pistons have really gone anywhere. Their first two games together were losses, but what do you expect? They had one practice in, if you watched them against LA team chemistry just wasn't a problem. This is team that looks hungry for another championship, something they lacked the past few years after their Finals loss to San Antonio. They aren't the same predictable team on offense, and that's going to be a huge advantage for them this year. And while Chauncey was a great defender, his defense has also cost them playoff games. Remember when Daniel Gibson lit him up with over 30 points during a game? So I definitely think this trade benefited both teams, but I also think Detroits chances at a title shot have increased since last year. Only time will tell.   

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 03:35:15 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
I don't think the Pistons have really gone anywhere. Their first two games together were losses, but what do you expect? They had one practice in, if you watched them against LA team chemistry just wasn't a problem. This is team that looks hungry for another championship, something they lacked the past few years after their Finals loss to San Antonio. They aren't the same predictable team on offense, and that's going to be a huge advantage for them this year. And while Chauncey was a great defender, his defense has also cost them playoff games. Remember when Daniel Gibson lit him up with over 30 points during a game? So I definitely think this trade benefited both teams, but I also think Detroits chances at a title shot have increased since last year. Only time will tell.   

They won the last 2 games. That is it. Too early to decide anything. If Detroit is really hungry for a champiobship we will find out but the last 2 games do not prove anything.

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
While I agree that there needs to be a larger body of work before we can properly evaluate the current Piston's team...beating the undefeated Lakers is no easy task.

The Lakers are playing like the way the Celtics were playing early last year....sheer domination.

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 06:59:34 PM »

Offline hoopaddict08

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8

They won the last 2 games. That is it. Too early to decide anything. If Detroit is really hungry for a champiobship we will find out but the last 2 games do not prove anything.

That's why I said only time will tell.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Update on this thread:

Phoenix 104
Detroit 86

Allen Iverson 4 for 17 with 5 points and 5 turnovers

So can we once again talk about just how back the Pistons are? I think Iverson is going to revert right back to Iverson, that is he will over-dribble, over shoot, kill team chemistry, get beaten badly by good PGs, and lead his team out of the playoffs short of expectations.

Iverson was brought in as an expiring contract not as a franchise savior. He will not be there next year and neither will Rasheed. Heck Rasheed might not be there until the end of this year. Pistons are now in full rebuild mode and are going nowhere.

EDIT: As pointed out Iverson had 9 points. My fingers are too fast for my own good sometimes. Thanks big guy :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 10:07:16 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 09:53:12 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Update on this thread:

Phoenix 104
Detroit 86

Allen Iverson 4 for 17 with 5 points and 5 turnovers

Nick, I'm sure it was typo, but Iverson had 9 points (5 pts with 4 fgs would be quite a trick ;) )...He did have 7 assists too, but point taken (and I'm not refuting your point, just making the slight correction).
Yup