Author Topic: Rajon Rondo = BJ Armstrong.  (Read 69629 times)

Re: So lets here the excuses for Rondo!
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2008, 05:18:34 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2008, 05:27:46 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I'm still expecting him to continue to progress and his slow start is merely down to a niggling injury.
I think that a minor injury is unlikley to cause this type of play. It isnt as if he has no explosiveness or cant jump. He is showing more of a mental lapse and indecisiveness. It's as if his head is somewhere else and he isnt making good basketball decisions instinctively.

As to a guy laying 5-6 feet off of him, that can only happen if he stands still with the ball and allows his man to take that position. If he keeps moving and doesnt hold the ball, they have to play him closer or he goes for the layup. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'm still expecting him to continue to progress and his slow start is merely down to a niggling injury.
I think that a minor injury is unlikley to cause this type of play. It isnt as if he has no explosiveness or cant jump. He is showing more of a mental lapse and indecisiveness. It's as if his head is somewhere else and he isnt making good basketball decisions instinctively.

As to a guy laying 5-6 feet off of him, that can only happen if he stands still with the ball and allows his man to take that position. If he keeps moving and doesnt hold the ball, they have to play him closer or he goes for the layup. 8)
I agree with you Billysan,its more than nagging injuries with Rondo.

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2008, 06:04:56 PM »

Offline Slappy

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
First post, so don't flame me too badly.

First and foremost, did I miss something something, or isn't this the guy that was our main PG for a championship?

Secondly, has this guy seen his 23rd birthday yet?

I am not making excuses for him and I don't claim to be an expert on the nuances of the NBA. I have to throw this out there though, yes, his shooting has been horrific at best (5-24 last 3)Isn't this the same thing most were complaining about early last season? A lack of agressiveness? Doesn't this sound all too familaur?

Here are some facts and yes I realize that it is early

Ranks #9 in the NBA in Assists Per Game(6.7)
Ranks #10 in the NBA in Steals Per Game(2.1)
Ranks #4 in the NBA in Assists(67.0)
Ranks #5 in the NBA in Steals(21.0)
Ranks #7 in the NBA in Assists Per 48 Minutes(10.5)
Ranks #12 in the NBA in Steals Per 48 Minutes(3.28)

If you wanted an offensive PG, Rondo is one of the last guys you would want. Here's the thing, aren't we supposed to have three all-stars to carry the scoring load? Don't we have the original gunner in House to score off the bench and don't we have a "slashing" back up 2 for  D + scoring also coming off the bench? I could be way off here, but isn't our PG supposed to distribute (assists up from last year) and play D (Steals up from last year)While his scoring has dropped a point or two his D and assists are up (Doesn't this make up for it theoretically?)Again, I am no expert, but would love some feedback on this.

Rondo is 22 right now! He already has a ring and manages to learn while mixing ego's with the likes of KG, PP and RA. Is this really that bad for a 22 YO?? To me, I am happy to know that Rajon's best years will most likely come after the big 3 are gone, or at least long in the tooth. If we wanted age and experience running the point, wouldn't we dress Cassell? (Not that I want to see that!!!)If we wanted scoring from the PG, wouldn't we stay with house more?

On a more positive note

Aren't we giving up less points as a team than last year??

Slappy

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2008, 06:23:35 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
It's Rondo's reality. He's outstanding most nights, awful on some others.

I am extremely disappointed in his offense and foul shooting, which should be getting better but are not.

Beyond that, simple growing pains for a young point with some fairly definite holes in his game.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2008, 07:01:09 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I've heard rondo's assist/game rank used as defense that he's running the offense well from mulitiple people.  The fact is= he should be number one in the league in assists.  He does not shoot!  He has 3 hall of famers to pass to!  He is the point guard for the most offensively proficient team(last year) in the league.  And he doesn't bring the ball up the court and give it to a point forward.  Those assists are not evidence of rondo running the offense.  If anything, they are inflated due to circumstances.

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
He is the point guard for the most offensively proficient team(last year) in the league. 

By what standard?

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2008, 07:26:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
He is the point guard for the most offensively proficient team(last year) in the league. 

By what standard?

-sw

efficient perhaps, proficient, not so sure
Yup

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2008, 11:48:55 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

First and foremost, did I miss something something, or isn't this the guy that was our main PG for a championship?

I am not making excuses for him and I don't claim to be an expert on the nuances of the NBA. I have to throw this out there though, yes, his shooting has been horrific at best (5-24 last 3)Isn't this the same thing most were complaining about early last season? A lack of agressiveness? Doesn't this sound all too familaur?

If you wanted an offensive PG, Rondo is one of the last guys you would want. Here's the thing, aren't we supposed to have three all-stars to carry the scoring load? Don't we have the original gunner in House to score off the bench and don't we have a "slashing" back up 2 for  D + scoring also coming off the bench? I could be way off here, but isn't our PG supposed to distribute (assists up from last year) and play D (Steals up from last year)While his scoring has dropped a point or two his D and assists are up (Doesn't this make up for it theoretically?)Again, I am no expert, but would love some feedback on this.

Rondo is 22 right now! He already has a ring and manages to learn while mixing ego's with the likes of KG, PP and RA. Is this really that bad for a 22 YO?? To me, I am happy to know that Rajon's best years will most likely come after the big 3 are gone, or at least long in the tooth. If we wanted age and experience running the point, wouldn't we dress Cassell? (Not that I want to see that!!!)If we wanted scoring from the PG, wouldn't we stay with house more?

On a more positive note

Slappy
Welcome Slappy. Here is your first TP for a well thought out first post.

My biggest problem with Rondo is not that he isnt a very good PG on most nights. He doesnt have to be a great scoring PG. What he needs to do for me, and I realize he is young, is to be capable of seizing the opportunity to create high percentage scoring situations for his teammates. He usually does this, but is somewhat inconsistent at times. He should practice or get coaching to become a 'lights out' FT shooter. If he is an 80% plus FT shooter then he can get points for us just by driving to the hoop to draw fouls. He has the tools for that if he could just make his FT's consistently.

He already plays excellent defense on most nights and even when he is outplayed by a veteran like Billups, I am still willing to be patient with him. He is still one of the better young PG's in the league and has the potential to get a lot better. He is definitely in the top ten and should easily be top five before long on anyones list. It will just take a little time.  8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2008, 12:03:06 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I think a big issue is that Rondo essentially did not practice much this summer, due to the extended playoffs and then taking 2 months off. I read this somewhere in the newspaper or online, forget where. But basically I don't think he has added anything to his game in the offseason, and has regressed in those things he added last summer like an ok jumpshot. Hopefully by the time playoffs come around he will be a lot better.

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2008, 12:11:23 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376

On a more positive note

Slappy
Welcome Slappy. Here is your first TP for a well thought out first post.

My biggest problem with Rondo is not that he isnt a very good PG on most nights. He doesnt have to be a great scoring PG. What he needs to do for me, and I realize he is young, is to be capable of seizing the opportunity to create high percentage scoring situations for his teammates. He usually does this, but is somewhat inconsistent at times. He should practice or get coaching to become a 'lights out' FT shooter. If he is an 80% plus FT shooter then he can get points for us just by driving to the hoop to draw fouls. He has the tools for that if he could just make his FT's consistently.

He already plays excellent defense on most nights and even when he is outplayed by a veteran like Billups, I am still willing to be patient with him. He is still one of the better young PG's in the league and has the potential to get a lot better. He is definitely in the top ten and should easily be top five before long on anyones list. It will just take a little time.  8)

I don't know ... I think Rondo is a phenomenal playmaker.  He's averaging 6.7 dimes despite the fact that the ball is not always in his hands because Pierce demands it much of the time.  He also has the lowest number of turnovers per game of ANY of their starters. 

I think one of the last plays tonight exemplifies how he distributes the ball ... nice dish to Powe, who got into lane, but had it knocked away, back to Rondo, finds Scal in the corner, who gets his man up in the air, almost close enough to draw a 3 shot foul, but elects to pass back to Rondo who enters then lane and zips a strike right to Ray Allen drawing the foul.  3 great passes, no assists!

I think the complaining about Rondo is unwarranted.  Anyone who wants him to average 17/9 should just remember how great he was the last month of the 06-07 season with Pierce out.  Remember, this team has 3 hall-of-famers that need the ball.  Rondo understands that an doesn't force the issue.

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2008, 12:33:41 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I remember the days where people would argue that Rondo is better than Jose Calderon and T.J. Ford.  I think those particular arguments should be put to rest.

Rondo looks overwhelmed right now, and also looks like he's not as quick as usual, suggesting perhaps an injury.  Mostly, though, the issue seems to be mental; he can't shoot anymore (he was decent last season) and he's out of control driving to the hoop lately.

I'm not going to panic, though.  He was inconsistent last season, but when he was "on", he was a perfectly viable point guard on a championship squad.  It is a little disappointing to see him regress, though.

I agree, except with the part in bold. What's the standard you're using to call his jump-shot decent? Not "NBA guards" surely.

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2008, 02:33:43 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
How would people rate Rondo's defense last night against Luke Ridnour?

Who's fault was it that Ridnour was burning us all night?

Who's fault was it that Rondo was in foul trouble? (Either Rajon couldn't keep Ridnour in front of him or Rajon kept reaching in a ton?)

Rondo had a really good and important defensive steal when he came over to help on team defense late in the game...other than that he was pretty average to below average last night.

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2008, 12:50:49 PM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12

Who's fault was it that Rondo was in foul trouble? (Either Rajon couldn't keep Ridnour in front of him or Rajon kept reaching in a ton?)

Rondo had a really good and important defensive steal when he came over to help on team defense late in the game...other than that he was pretty average to below average last night.

Average? Thats a compliment..
Rondo last year could be compared to devin harris in some respects
Last night - devin harris 33 pts and 10 assists
rondo - 2 pts 6 assits

Rondo isnt good enough to take 2 months away from the game, somehow he also thinks he can be one of the best point guards in the league this year...too bad hes one if not the worst starting PG in the league

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Average? Thats a compliment..
Rondo last year could be compared to devin harris in some respects
Last night - devin harris 33 pts and 10 assists
rondo - 2 pts 6 assits

Rondo isnt good enough to take 2 months away from the game, somehow he also thinks he can be one of the best point guards in the league this year...too bad hes one if not the worst starting PG in the league

To be fair, Devin Harris is the best player on his team.