Author Topic: Rajon Rondo = BJ Armstrong.  (Read 69630 times)

Re: So lets here the excuses for Rondo!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 11:31:21 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Tommy called Rondo out for having poor practice habits and Doc needs to give Pruit some burn.

when was this, he said nothing of the kind about rondo's practice habits. he did say that gabe might be the only PG we have who can gaurd billups.

rondo is pretty much one of the hardest workers in practice, unless the team is lying for him.

That said, he had a horrid night, and thier is no excuse for it, but lets not invent stuff tommy said.

Tommy said rondo was missing layups in practice and it was carrying over to the game and yes he did call them "bad practice habits"

pretty sure he didn't, but again, much as i love tommy, i'll trust his teammates over tommy in regards to his practice habits, and in every story for the press, they say he's the hardest worker.

He had a horrid game. weee.

only concerned if it becomes a string of bad games.

Tommy did say Rondo had bad practice habits when shooting layups.  I heard him.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
sit him on the bench.

lets put a smile on smilin gabe.

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 11:36:09 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
I agree with this and i'm probably the biggest Rondo fan in the world. He's been horrible this season.  >:(

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 11:42:08 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
His constant pounding of the ball lately and not creating anything for anyone else is getting maddening. It is like he is trying to dribble it until a lane opens up for himself and if nothing does he just kicks it around the key. His jumper is absolutely worse than last year and it wasn't good then, so he needs to either work on it, or stop taking it completely. He isn't even playing that great of defense this year. Billups, who is slower than he is blew past him many times, and shot over him the other ones. There is no reason with his quickness that he can't be up in his face all night.

This is just like the PP thing. It isn't that Rondo isn't very talented and the guy I want in there. I just wished he'd show some intensity out there. I think the guy's success last year has gone to his head a bit.

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 12:06:01 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
So times like these is when I actually would like to see Marbury wearing a green jersey. Pruitt would have been better out there...Cassell doesn't play much D, so Marbury would have been our answer(House can't guard either). I hate seeing our team lose to such a sorry team, but Ainge needs to look at this loss as more than "just a loss". The bench didn't show up besides House scoring some points(as he does every other game). But we need stronger defense AND offense from our bench, and it's not happening here. The years of this Big 3 can't last forever, so Ainge needs to bite the bullet to get some talent. Scalabrine should be cut, and trade Pruitt or BBD..or both. Neither are seeing game time, or even will put up the numbers we need anyways..so we could use a Marbury..some scoring SF or any sort, and a big that can hit the 3.
I had a previous post idea for trading Scal/someone for Brian Cook. Then pick up Marbury, and we can have some bench production.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 12:14:10 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Tommy called Rondo out for having poor practice habits and Doc needs to give Pruit some burn.

when was this, he said nothing of the kind about rondo's practice habits. he did say that gabe might be the only PG we have who can gaurd billups.

rondo is pretty much one of the hardest workers in practice, unless the team is lying for him.

That said, he had a horrid night, and thier is no excuse for it, but lets not invent stuff tommy said.

Tommy said rondo was missing layups in practice and it was carrying over to the game and yes he did call them "bad practice habits"

pretty sure he didn't, but again, much as i love tommy, i'll trust his teammates over tommy in regards to his practice habits, and in every story for the press, they say he's the hardest worker.

He had a horrid game. weee.

only concerned if it becomes a string of bad games.

Tommy did say Rondo had bad practice habits when shooting layups.  I heard him.

Yes he said this.  He was referring to the layup line prior to games when Rondo is not concentrating and it's carrying over to games.   He is missing some shots from point blank range so he can't take even the layup line casually. 

It's annoying when Rondo is not even looking at the hoop and when Perk is non existent on offense.   It's as if they playing 3 on 5 at times.   Most young players are inconsistent but hopefully Rondo can get back on track and keep improving. 

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 12:16:15 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
We won a championship with him last year. That's the excuse. Y'all are being rediculous, if Ray goes 3-15 nobody cares, Rondo has a bad game as a PG it's the end of the world. It's early, he's young, everybody's been inconsistent, the effort hasn't been there all game from anyone, chill.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 12:18:40 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I thought we won in spite of him.

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 12:20:24 AM »

Offline KJR

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 37
I'm a Rondo fan, but he played poorly tonight and he's played poorly most of the season.

On defense, he's gotten lazy.  He plays to the side and often lets a man go by him and then tries to poke it away from behind.  He does this on many plays.  He needs to get back to basics and stay in front of his man, and not try to make a steal on every play.

He got no rebounds tonight, and that's not like him.  Last year, he often had 5 rebounds in a game.  Maybe he's leaking out a bit too fast, and should stay back some.  A few times Garnett had to wave him to come back for the ball.

He passed up one shot right under the basket when no one was around him; and the crowd reacted with disbelief.  He is looking to kick out every penetration.  He needs to continue on to the rim.  Maybe Perk or KG need to step away so there is no big man help in the lane to block his shot.  He also, as we've all noted, needs to work on FTs.

Having said all this, I still like the guy and think he can play well.  But maybe Doc needs to go back to managing him a bit more.  I do think maybe he's gotten a bit cocky.  (And yes, Tommy did say that Rondo is non-chalant in warm-ups and just flips his layups up at the basket and misses them; and he said that it was a bad practice habit and it was perhaps carrying over to the games.)

But I still don't think he's the reason we lost the game.  It was the 2nd unit. We got killed early in the 2nd Quarter, and again early in the 4th Quarter. Baby, Powe and Allen contributed almost nothing, and got solidly outplayed by Kleiza, Balkman, Carter and Smith.

This was a perfect game to put in POB and Pruitt during the fateful 2nd Quarter and for a few minutes at the beginning of the 4th Quarter.  Might have made all the difference.  POB could board, since BBD and Powe were not getting it done.  The Nuggets were killing us on this.  POB also could've prevented some of the Kenyon Martin shots in the lane.  Pruitt could have stayed in front of Smith and Carter.  Smith hit 3 threes in our face.  No one was guarding the 3-line.  Gabe easily could have done this.  With these two simple adjustments, it might have been a much different game.

Not a big deal.  Still early in the season.

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 12:23:02 AM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Rondo is breaking my heart with his play, lets just put it that way

We need to make a trade for the bench...something has got to happen here

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 12:30:22 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm not worried about the bench production at the moment because of the way Doc uses the bench, especially during the season. On their own, they're nice complements to the starters given different situations. But collectively as a group, as a unit, they really don't mesh well...

That's why against certain teams they excell, while they look bad among others. If this were playoff type rotations with Eddie playing with mostly starters, for example, he'd look great like he did tonight. Same goes to for Powe playing alongside Garnett, and TA with a better playmaker that will make good use of his slashing abilities.

With all that said, there's certainly something missing. That missing part might be in our roster already, but since they're seemingly not ready to be on the court, we can't tell.

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 12:52:59 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Rondo's play this season has been disappointing.  I honestly have never thought he'd be an allstar player in the future. I think he's a servicable PG, if he's on a good team.  He has no shot, still and his foul shooting for a guard is just putrid.  Never have I seen a guard shot so poorly from the line.  I honestly don't think he has range outside of 10-12 feet.  Sure he hits the occasional outside shot, but so does Scal.   ::)  If his play doesn't improve much in the next few games its time to give Pruitt some playing time.  He's bigger, a better shooter, and could be the better player.  Plus his assist, while at a decent number are because of the KG, PP, and Ray.  I think any half way decent point guard could average 6.7 assist, as he is doing.  I'm not saying we trade Rondo or anything, but I think its time to give somebody else a shot if his play doesn't pick up.

I'll be at the game in Milwaukee tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how he does against Ridnour and Sessions, who are less than stellar on the defensive side to say the least. 

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 02:04:07 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Does this mean he's not a fringe All-Star anymore?

Anyway, what worries me more is how subpar and lazy his defense has been (probably because I never thought he would struggle on offense with teams that can work him). He has became the ultimate gambler.

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 08:52:44 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I always thought he had allstar potential- maybe in 2010.  But if that is to be the case, we most likely would have seen improvement over the summer.  I'm very dissappointed in his play so far because he is so important to our future as the big 3 get older.  I was so certain that he would be a notch better than he was last year.  Wrong so far!

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
First to be disappointed in Rondo you would have had to felt he is a good pg from the start.I never found him to be a good pg, passable at best.I said last night in the game thread maybe people are expecting to much from him.He has never made me feel comfortable as to being the pg of the future,just good enough to get us over the hump.Like another poster said it looked as if we played 3 on 5 a lot last season.I agree with this because before Perk's improvements and Rondo figuring out what he suppose to do  the Big 3 had to carry the load. Rondo never showed me he should be a starting pg for a championship caliber team even though we won it all. Last night has nothing to do with how i see it, just open the door to revisit how i have felt on this subject all alone.I had hope Danny Ainge look for a vet.pg and a vet. backup Big for Perk this season.

The way things stand it will put a lot of pressure on the Big 3 to play not only more minutes than they should but at a high level night after night.They will have to consistently score a high amount of points to make up for the ones a pg and maybe the C would make.Perk has shown some signs of better offense here and there but last night between him and Rondo not stepping it up on offense didn't help the cause.Maybe Pierce should play point forward some of the time? 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:40:58 AM by housecall »