Author Topic: Marbury in buyout discussions  (Read 4025 times)

Marbury in buyout discussions
« on: November 14, 2008, 02:35:06 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
According to wiretap on RealGM, Marbury and Walsh are in preliminary talks for a buyout. Knowing that adding Marbury after a buyout has been frequently debated here, I was intrigued to read the following:

"The Heat and Celtics may have interest in bringing Marbury aboard. But as a condition of granting permission to find a new employer, Walsh may want Marbury to agree that he will not sign with an Eastern Conference team. Marbury reportedly would like to play for the Spurs."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55427/20081114/marbury_and_walsh_begin_buyout_talks/

It sounds like speculation on the reporter's part, but the Celtics were specifically mentioned as suitors.

“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

Re: Marbury in buyout discussions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 02:50:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Hmm.  I doubt Walsh in overly worried about the tremendous impact Starbury will have with his competitors.

In fact, based on his reputation, shouldn't he be *insisting* that Starbury sign with an Eastern Conference team, preferably one in the Atlantic Division?  There are few chemistry killers bigger than Mr. Head Tattoo.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 02:51:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I mean... the only way Boston would do it is if they cut Gabe Pruitt (or Cassell?) and gave Steph one of those Darius Miles type contracts where we can cut him at the first sign of trouble.  Also Steph would have to be willing to come off the bench and I'd want to make sure the entire team got a chance to vote on it and voice their displeasure.  

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 02:53:41 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I really don't know how this guy would fit in here, I sort of would like to see him as our back-up as I know he can play, but at the same time I think he's a crazy bum who doesn't give a [dang] about anyone but himself. He is the definition of a paradox.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 03:14:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
he'd probably help our bench scoring though.  lol

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 03:31:07 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I'm sure the reporter only mentioned the Celtics because Marbury mentioned the Celtics in his preseason interview when asked what teams he'd like to go to if he was bought out.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I asked J.A. Adande in his chat.  Lol.  He must not get that many questions.

David (Seattle): I keep seeing Boston mentioned as a possible team Marbury could end up at. Do you think that could happen? I can't imagine them ruining their chemistry like that.

SportsNation J.A. Adande: (3:54 PM ET ) I know Boston thought about it and the feeling was it wouldn't be good for Rondo...remember how he was spooked by Cassell's arrival last year? Just let Rondo progress on his own without having to look over his shoulder. It didn't turn out too badly last year.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 04:40:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I know Boston thought about it and the feeling was it wouldn't be good for Rondo...remember how he was spooked by Cassell's arrival last year?

When was Rondo spooked by Cassell?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 04:58:42 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I know Boston thought about it and the feeling was it wouldn't be good for Rondo...remember how he was spooked by Cassell's arrival last year?

He probably thought Cassell was an alien about to abduct him.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Lose House from the rotation and then there's no player outside the Big Three who's a high level shooter. I'm not wild about that situation.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 06:57:23 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Lose House from the rotation and then there's no player outside the Big Three who's a high level shooter. I'm not wild about that situation.
I am nojt crazy for the situation or the posibility and i dont want Marbury here
but in that case House goes to 2, and TA is out if the rotation or goes backup 3
\we miss a slashr not a shooter and he will be used only in need of defense
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 07:41:14 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

Rondo went through a stretch in the playoffs where he had a pretty rough go of it. Or, on second thought, I'm not sure if "stretch" is exactly the right word... I don't know - my memory is a bit foggy, but Rondo definitely had some problems late in the season that looked to be psychological. I'm pretty sure I remember these issues being attributed to the presence of Cassell by at least some people. Am I completely off base here?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 08:03:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Rondo went through a stretch in the playoffs where he had a pretty rough go of it. Or, on second thought, I'm not sure if "stretch" is exactly the right word... I don't know - my memory is a bit foggy, but Rondo definitely had some problems late in the season that looked to be psychological. I'm pretty sure I remember these issues being attributed to the presence of Cassell by at least some people. Am I completely off base here?

What problems I remember from Rondo late in the playoffs seemed to be physical; he injured his ankle in Game 3 of the playoffs, and struggled mightily at times thereafter. 

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 10:00:23 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Stiffon has no place in this league - except maybe next to Antione Walker in Memphis.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.