Author Topic: Ray Allen Being Referred to as "Jesus"  (Read 14309 times)

Re: Ray Allen Being Referred to as "Jesus"
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I find it a bit offensive and cringe every time someone calls him that quite honestly. Maybe it is just #3 of the ten commandments. I know most people aren't doing it with a sacrilegious thought, but it is there. They are insinuating that he is the Messiah of the basketball court, which is a sacrilegious comparison. 

I disagree.  The Jesus they reference with the nickname isn't the son of God, but Jesus Shuttlesworth.  Only the names are the same.  Do you feel the same way with Latino men named Jesus?  Would you feel differently if Ray's nickname was pronounced "Hay-zeus"? 

I saw the movie. I know what you are saying. That is why I said that most people aren't doing it that way, however many people think that is what they are saying and using it in that context. For that reason I cringe. And yes, if I were Latino I wouldn't name my kid Jesus. Vain repetition trivializes it IMO. I know the Latino culture is doing it out of respect just like Maria, however I still cringe for some reason. Not passing judgement on them doing it, just how it hits me personally.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 12:00:06 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I find it a bit offensive and cringe every time someone calls him that quite honestly. Maybe it is just #3 of the ten commandments. I know most people aren't doing it with a sacrilegious thought, but it is there. They are insinuating that he is the Messiah of the basketball court, which is a sacrilegious comparison. 

I disagree.  The Jesus they reference with the nickname isn't the son of God, but Jesus Shuttlesworth.  Only the names are the same.  Do you feel the same way with Latino men named Jesus?  Would you feel differently if Ray's nickname was pronounced "Hay-zeus"? 

I saw the movie. I know what you are saying. That is why I said that most people aren't doing it that way, however many people think that is what they are saying and using it in that context. For that reason I cringe. And yes, if I were Latino I wouldn't name my kid Jesus. Vain repetition trivializes it IMO. I know the Latino culture is doing it out of respect just like Maria, however I still cringe for some reason. Not passing judgement on them doing it, just how it hits me personally.

Interesting. If you don't mind me asking, what division of Christianity do you subscribe to (if you do)? 
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 12:10:33 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Wow, I can't believe this is even a subject. It amazes me what makes people uncomfortable. I tend to agree with Champkind. People have the name Jesus. I have never really called him Jesus, but that's not to say that I wouldn't. I saw the name of the subject line, and thought, "it couldn't be...", but it was. As long as people aren't trashing Jesus/religion, it really shouldn't matter what we call people.

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 12:19:39 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I saw him referred to as "Jesus" earlier and if I wasn't on my way out I would have mentioned it because I've never really liked him being called by that name. You could put it down to sacrilege and the fact I'm Christian, I think it's a little extreme calling him by that name. It's not a case of being "uncomfortable" it's a case of some narrow minded people belittling the name "Jesus" and what it stands for.

I personally refer to him as Ray Ray as it has a better ring to it.

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Wow, I can't believe this is even a subject. It amazes me what makes people uncomfortable. I tend to agree with Champkind. People have the name Jesus. I have never really called him Jesus, but that's not to say that I wouldn't. I saw the name of the subject line, and thought, "it couldn't be...", but it was. As long as people aren't trashing Jesus/religion, it really shouldn't matter what we call people.

Well, I brought it up because the thought does cross my mind when I hear it and I wondered if it does so with others as well (or if it doesn't for that matter).

I guess my perspective and curiosity about this is in no small part because I'm Jewish and I don't want to say something that could be construed as offensive to others beliefs somehow.  In that regard I'm probably more sensitive and respectful about it, perhaps even more so than I need to be in this case.  But I was curious how others felt about it.
Yup

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 12:21:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's not even referencing Jesus Christ.  The character was supposed to be named after Earl Monroe... who was actually nicknamed "Black Jesus".... which I guess would be way more offensive.  And a lot of people refer to Larry Bird as "the basketball Jesus".  

The name of the character was an interesting part in the movie.  And the fact that the character wasn't named after the legend of JC, but the legend of Earl Monroe was made clear.  They dedicate a whole scene from the movie in explaining how the character felt about the name and his father explaining why he did it.  I think a lot of people still think of Ray from that movie.  Anyone whose ever had a girlfriend and forced her to watch a basketball game knows what I'm talking about.  "Hey... isn't that Jesus from "He Got Game"??".  I also think the name sticks, because the character of Jesus Shuttlesworth (portrayed as LeBron-esque) was actually supposed to be a better player than Ray himself.  Although we are basketball junkies, the sad fact remains that in the general population Ray might end up being just as famous for playing Jesus Shuttlesworth as he is for being an allstar guard.    

It's true he doesn't really have any other nickname, because technically "Ray" already is his nickname.  You'll hear some people say, "beautiful shot by Walter Ray Allen" as sorta a reverse-nickname.  

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i'm a christian and i'm not really offended by this...i understand the reference to the movie.

however, i am a bit disturbed when i hear references made to our president-elect as "the messiah" and use examples of miracles (in jest, i understand) being done by him.  that is a DIRECT reference to Christ Himself.

but Jesus also called Himself "The Truth" in John 14.  ;)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Me and my buddies call him "Ray Ray".

But you know, even though Ray Allen has only been in that one movie.. it was a really excellent film. 

EDIT: and maybe someone pointed this out already but in the Movie I do not think his character is even named after the son of God rather after another Basketball player. Anyone remember who?

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Jesus is a common name.  They aren't calling him Jesus Christ.

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
It's not even referencing Jesus Christ.  The character was supposed to be named after Earl Monroe... who was actually nicknamed "Black Jesus".... which I guess would be way more offensive.  And a lot of people refer to Larry Bird as "the basketball Jesus".  

The name of the character was an interesting part in the movie.  And the fact that the character wasn't named after the legend of JC, but the legend of Earl Monroe was made clear.  They dedicate a whole scene from the movie in explaining how the character felt about the name and his father explaining why he did it.  I think a lot of people still think of Ray from that movie.  Anyone whose ever had a girlfriend and forced her to watch a basketball game knows what I'm talking about.  "Hey... isn't that Jesus from "He Got Game"??".  I also think the name sticks, because the character of Jesus Shuttlesworth (portrayed as LeBron-esque) was actually supposed to be a better player than Ray himself.  Although we are basketball junkies, the sad fact remains that in the general population Ray might end up being just as famous for playing Jesus Shuttlesworth as he is for being an allstar guard.    

It's true he doesn't really have any other nickname, because technically "Ray" already is his nickname.  You'll hear some people say, "beautiful shot by Walter Ray Allen" as sorta a reverse-nickname.  

No one is disagreeing that most people are referring to that. Stating that the film is referring to someone who's nickname is definitely directed that way doesn't help your point though. I knew that was the reason, which is likely why it makes me feel that way. You can call him what you want, however obviously there are more than just a couple people who cringe as well. I'm doubting this thread will change anyone's mind one way or the other...

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 12:31:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm neutral on this subject I guess.  It doesn't bother me at all but I don't usually call him that.  I like when Grande calls him Sugar Ray but that isn't original.  I usually just stick with Ray Ray, or "the Smart Allen."

Easily the best nickname for Ray Allen that I have ever seen.

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 12:33:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I'm neutral on this subject I guess.  It doesn't bother me at all but I don't usually call him that.  I like when Grande calls him Sugar Ray but that isn't original.  I usually just stick with Ray Ray, or "the Smart Allen."

Derrr...I just finally got that one  ;D

anyone seen the Smart Redz?
Yup

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 12:35:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't think your dad has posted today.

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I don't think your dad has posted today.

Fair enough..I yam what I yam :)
Yup

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 12:46:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

One of my friends' brothers -- an immigrant from Cuba -- attended Catholic school here, and the nuns refused to call him by his first name, Jesus.  They called him by his middle name instead.

The name is still considered a taboo in many of the Germanic-speaking countries.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:04:20 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions